Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 04:37 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizax_Xaziv [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I reckon you're misremembering. Last time I played a TLP (the most-recent server, Mangler) players were using hacks to track and warp to named mobs the instant they spawned to KS them.

It was such a problem, in fact, that DBG had to patch the functionality of charm to because Enchanters were charming named mobs to prevent others from killing them
I played on Ragefire, which was the last of the "bad" TLPs : no instancing and huge mage armies.

I, for one, never encountered an instance of ksing in regular leveling zones. I don't recall of it being a systemic problem, or to be mentioned in guild chat. This is just anecdotal evidence of course, but levelling was pretty chill and I remember effortlessly taking the guise camp for myself, getting it, and leaving.

Of course the raid scene was wholly different.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Banned

Here’s my proposition to make everyone happy-

Classic discord server. No rules whatsoever. Winners get special prizes so stakes are high.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:06 AM
Banned

No rules except no hacking.... which isn’t exactly classic discord but we’ll make this exception.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here’s my proposition to make everyone happy-

Classic discord server. No rules whatsoever. Winners get special prizes so stakes are high.
The lack of rules is, itself, a rule. Your server will perish and we here will laugh at your hubris.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe you need to read the word trying a few more times."real classic mechanics"

Outside of game code, which was buggy (still is buggy, really. and well documented in exactly what ways. And you patch buggy things out of games, because that's how that works) you can't really try to argue about people's behaviours being "Classic"

Amendments happen for a reason, guuuuuuuy.

There was a rule for awhile that then wasn't a rule anymore.

Can we stack swords to infinite heights for a couple months to satisfy what you think of as well and truly Classic, or do you just really like this one mechanic and you're passionate enough about it to the point of madness?

Cause it can be one, both, or neitherI think it will keep the numbers more stable and consistent.

The way it did on Live, when they changed this oddly specific thing you miss because it was genuinely toxic. This is actually true, but not really relevant to anything you're fighting for.
I think he might be arguing that original eq is inseparable from the player base originally found there. There were lots of noobs, roleplayers from Table Top, sheer assholes as many were coming hot off the heels of Ultima Online. Those things did shape what to expect from the game when you logged on, they were part of the game and the memory.

Granted things do change, there is no real way to recapture that aspect. I wouldn't mind having a time machine to go back and experience it myself for a bit, if anything just to get away from 2019 people using Canadian descriptors such as Toxic. A bunch of female halflings marching around Misty Thicket carrying "No Hate Speech" signs. Angry about me stealing their bixie stonehive honies.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The lack of rules is, itself, a rule. Your server will perish and we here will laugh at your hubris.
Now that’s deep
Old 09-25-2019, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Sullon Zek the Empty?

I thought not. It's not a story the Care Bears would tell you. It's a PvP legend. Sullon Zek was a Lord among servers, so powerful that no ruleset could bind those within. So twisted was it's power that it took the powerful Play Nice Policy and completely destroyed it. No more would anyone be bound by the whims of petty men! Only the strongest would survive, those willing to do anything to seize the power they desired.

Many came to test themselves, to build a new world and control a great empire!

Where is your mighty Sullon Zek now? Abandoned by all who came, gone back to Tallon, to Rallos, to Vallon, to the CareBear servers whence they came.

They were to be the saviors of PvP, but they became it's murderers. Ironic. They thought they wanted no rules, but they could not live without them.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your namesake lost his ship, his treasure, and his life to an Atlantic gale because he wanted to go visit his girlfriend. That's tragic enough, albeit the folks he robbed might've regarded it as just desserts.

Danth
Old 09-25-2019, 04:08 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Sullon Zek the Empty?

I thought not. It's not a story the Care Bears would tell you. It's a PvP legend. Sullon Zek was a Lord among servers, so powerful that no ruleset could bind those within. So twisted was it's power that it took the powerful Play Nice Policy and completely destroyed it. No more would anyone be bound by the whims of petty men! Only the strongest would survive, those willing to do anything to seize the power they desired.

Many came to test themselves, to build a new world and control a great empire!

Where is your mighty Sullon Zek now? Abandoned by all who came, gone back to Tallon, to Rallos, to Vallon, to the CareBear servers whence they came.

They were to be the saviors of PvP, but they became it's murderers. Ironic. They thought they wanted no rules, but they could not live without them.
ROTF!! Dude!!!

That was epic!! While reading that I could hear it in Sean Connery's voice with dramatic orchestral music and kettle drums playing in the background. Thanx so very much for a good laugh, I needed it today![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

--Oscar Wilde
Old 09-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomacles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ROTF!! Dude!!!

That was epic!! While reading that I could hear it in Sean Connery's voice with dramatic orchestral music and kettle drums playing in the background. Thanx so very much for a good laugh, I needed it today![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This legitimately triggered me
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Closed Thread