Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Kobold

Default Recovering old EQ characters

Is there a way outside of Everquest to see if a character still exists? I know some of you played lots of EQ so I wanted to see if any of you might know this -- how to see if it's still there but inactive. If my Ranger is still around I had considered resubbing and just seeing what things look like 13-years later. It's sorta bizarre how I have always found myself emotionally attached to my Ranger. Not sure it that's normal. Probably not.

A friend I used to play EQ with from 2000-2007 he told me that his character was never wiped and told me to check and see if it still exists. That was a very long time ago and I can't remember everything related to my account because I was in the U.S. Marines and moving from duty station to duty station which means my addresses, phone numbers, etc kept changing.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

that was on live EQ? please let me spare you the hardships... live eq is unrecognizable from the 2000 era.

Restart on P99 green or blue!

also its completely normal to become emotionally attached to your EQ players. Consider your old ranger buried with honors, and come play on P99 !
Old 08-28-2020, 03:44 PM
Sarnak

I tried once to recover an old account on Live that I didn't have the password or the old AOL email for, just the username. I knew exactly what toons were on the account and their levels, but they would only recover it if I gave them my parents' credit card number from 1999 that was used on the account.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that was on live EQ? please let me spare you the hardships... live eq is unrecognizable from the 2000 era.

Restart on P99 green or blue!

also its completely normal to become emotionally attached to your EQ players. Consider your old ranger buried with honors, and come play on P99 !
When Green opened I started a Ranger there but when the server split I couldn't find a group. I would just sit around outside of Crushbone LFG for hours and after a few days of that I stopped playing. I liked the Green server launch. I would actually have to get my name on the lists for places like Orc Hill and various camps inside Crushbone. That split though...it's weird how things changed drastically when it happened. This was me within the first 1-minute the Green server launched. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-28-2020, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

You might still find overcrowded places, but things have leveled out alot more since launch, the servers re-merged, and most people are 40+ if not 50, with some leveling alts in the lower lvl zones.

You will find a more lower level friendly environment these days.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:38 PM
Kobold

Maybe, whatever I play next I want something I can live in for a long time. I invested 7-years in EverCrack from 2000-2007 but the game started changing and the guild I was in eventually dissolved. From there, I jumped over to WoW starting in 2008 and actually still have my Hunter of 12-years but stopped playing many years back because the same thing happened...the game evolved into something very different. All I do is occasionally log in and do some battlegrounds, nothing more. WoW never had PVE as good as EQ, not even close, the risk vs reward and teamwork aspect was perfect in EQ and that's probably because it was essentially a MUD at the core. There's no danger in WoW, never once did I have that "scared" feeling or sense of loss like I did with EQ.

Ranger: https://eq.magelo.com/profile/1361726
Hunter: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...saurfang/forsh

Over the years I tried a few more MMORPGs like DAOC the first 6-months it was released (2002 I think), tried Neverwinter, FFO, none were even close to EQ or even WoW for the type of play I enjoy.

Recently I tried the EQ Classic flavor of Green right when it launched as I mentioned and things looked promising. The day the server was split everywhere turned from exciting to ghost-town. The bottle-necking of players was a good thing in my opinion it forced people to be competitive, meet and work together with people they didn't know, and rewarded people willing to put in the work. The very day Blue launched that instantly went away.

Below are the screenshots I took of the server at launch as well as the minute I logged in and that's a healthy amount of people for Green's launch. Below those images are two more images that have a similar story....the launch of Classic WoW.

The screenshot showing the players is the very minute the servers opened when I finally got through the queue. The screenshot is eerily similar and especially because the same scenario played out. Players in Classic WoW were bottle-necked and forced to work together with strangers. I would sometimes find myself at camps or running quests in my lvl 20s and groups of us in the zones would track down Alliance that were jumping people who were leveling, it was great fun. We didn't know each other but we were united in purpose and that was continual up into my lvl 30s however, this fun ended nearly the exact same way Green did for me. As additional servers were added to Classic WoW over a few days/weeks the zones were eventually completely dead because the bottle-necking was eliminated and the population quickly thinned. I went from excitement to being the only player in nearly every zone I was in.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Whatever I play next I want to be somewhere I can live in for many years. Pantheon looks DOA and no idea how Ashes of Creation is moving along since I just discovered it. Everquest really could have lasted forever at the top if the game hadn't changed so drastically. Reading the comments of any videos about EQ on YouTube you can see how much people loved it, how emotionally attached they were (myself included) it almost feels like a crime when it all went away...or changed to be something different.
Last edited by Forsh; 08-29-2020 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread