Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 01:24 AM
Orc

Question Single mob camping rules?

If, in an open zone, a player is sitting at the spawn point of a particular mob or its PH, and others show up to try and farm that same mob, what is the EXACT rule on contesting this mob?

The no KS rule makes it seem like the first to hit is the owner of said mob and anyone who hits after...is the KSer.

I grew up with Everquest. Anything that isn't part of a grouped "camp" has always been a DPS race. ESPECIALLY in open zones. Hill giants, named pathers, rare spawns...anything, has always been about who can do the most damage, the fastest. Yes this screws over new players just trying to get a quest item or an item they cant afford the price other players are asking, but its been the rule.

All I can find is that camps are to be argued over by the players and that the P99 staff does NOT define what a camp is, though the previous rule states that they can do this....so you can see my confusion. I'm new. I don't have a hundred thousand plat (or whatever ridiculous amount they have. Ive seen stuff selling for 200kpp!!) these farmers already have. I need these camps for gear/coin. Losing them to someones 23rd twinked monk and boxed necro is really pissing me off.
Last edited by TheAngryRogue; 05-01-2019 at 01:27 AM..
Old 05-01-2019, 01:30 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome to p99 where the rules are inconsistently presented and inconsistently enforced!
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:45 AM
Planar Protector

If it's a static mob, and you're waiting for it to respawn and are keeping it cleared... they need to move on.

If it's a static mob, and someone else is already clearing it... you need to move on.

If you're talking about the South Ro Ancient Cyclops (not static, it roams and can appear in different places), its first to engage.

With explaining this kind thing... the more questions you ask, the more questions then follow...

Keep it simple.

EDIT: If you think someone is boxing, report it.
Last edited by Swish2; 05-01-2019 at 01:47 AM..
Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 AM
Orc

That makes sense I guess, thank you Swish2. Ive reported folks, but of course I'm never sure if anything is done.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 AM
Sarnak

Swish is my hero!
Old 05-01-2019, 02:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryRogue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That makes sense I guess, thank you Swish2. Ive reported folks, but of course I'm never sure if anything is done.
They'll never tell you the outcome, but keep reporting. The "no boxing" is what makes the server (for me) much better than some of the others out there.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:57 AM
Planar Protector

The in game mechanic is dps race. The mechanic is misleading.

The classic policy for camped mobs was enforced sharing via play nice policy (when enforced).

On p1999 one person can 'hold the camp' and keep turning over PHers until they get the item they are after. Once they have the item they can pass the camp onto the person present of their choice. For static spawn mobs someone can 'hold the camp' by being first to arrive at an uncompeted mob between spawns.

Pathing mobs are done FTE (as you say, if someone has already aggroed a mob then anyone else attacking it would be a KSer).
Old 05-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Sarnak

Nothing on p99 is a DPS race. Everything falls into a few categories:

Camps - difficult to define broadly, but they generally revolve around a single mob (outdoors) or a section of a zone (dungeons). Often, players will also agree to what constitutes a camp in outdoor zones (say, the halfling guards at the wall), even though this is not *technically* the definition of a camp in an outdoor zone.

FTE - Anything that is not a camp is First to Engage. Important to note that this does not mean first to *damage.* One need not damage a mob to engage it. There are rules about stalling for *raid mobs* but there are not similar rules in place for non-raid mobs (to my knowledge).

If two players are each holding a camp, they have the rights to their mobs, so long as they are keeping the camp clear and engaging mobs within a reasonable time (this is also vague, but generally nice people agree that its ~5 min). You *must* maintain a presence at the camp. If you die/LD/zone whatever, you unfortunately lose the rights to that camp (unless you make it back from LD before your mobs pop, then you should be ok).

Players holding a camp can also contest other mobs on an FTE basis (so long as those mobs are not part of someone else's legitimate camp). If two groups each have a camp in, say, Karnor's Castle, they can each pull from a 3rd unclaimed camp on an FTE basis.

Sorry you're having issues with camps/players at camps. It can be a frustrating experience, particularly at popular camps [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryRogue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I need these camps for gear/coin. Losing them to someones 23rd twinked monk and boxed necro is really pissing me off.
Charm the monster.
Problem solved.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can't camp what doesn't exist.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
All I can find is that camps are to be argued over by the players and that the P99 staff does NOT define what a camp is, though the previous rule states that they can do this....so you can see my confusion. I'm new. I don't have a hundred thousand plat (or whatever ridiculous amount they have. Ive seen stuff selling for 200kpp!!) these farmers already have. I need these camps for gear/coin. Losing them to someones 23rd twinked monk and boxed necro is really pissing me off.
Everyone else did a great job of explaining P99's ... unpolished (to put it diplomatically) mob dispute rules. These rules are doubly confusing because not only are they (deliberately) defined in an incredibly vague and ambiguous manner, but they're also significantly different from how things worked on live (which makes perfect sense: live had a paid team of GMs/guides and we just have a few generous volunteers who give their own time to let thousands of other players play a free online game ... so of course our rules have to be different).

But I just wanted to address this last part because it didn't get answered as much. First off, what is a "camp". When the staff says they won't define a camp in advance, they mean a multiple mob camp. In other words, somewhere in the game (and by P99 rules, somewhere indoors) where at least two mobs that drop some cool loot are close enough together that a single player can claim both.

But when players think of the word, they almost always mean a single mob; I'd imagine 99+% of camp disputes aren't between players over two mobs next to each other, they're over a single mob (the last multi-mob camp dispute I can remember was over the Crypt in Sebilis ... which was over a year ago and the staff essentially decided it was four separate camps, not a single camp).

When talking about single mobs, the staff doesn't call that a camp, they call it a spawn point, and as others have explained each player can "camp" a single spawn point (indoor or outdoor). Whether you're camping a spawn point or not, you can engage any other mobs you want ... as long
as they're not coming from someone else's (single) camped spawn point.

Hopefully that clears up the nomenclature. But as for the very last "Losing them to someones 23rd twinked monk and boxed necro is really pissing me off" bit ... this is a server for everyone. New folks and folks who've been here since before Kunark dropped almost a decade ago. For good or for ill, that's EverQuest.

If you want guaranteed mob access, play a game with instances (I hear City of Heroes just experienced a revival, for instance). But if you want to play classic EverQuest, that means accepting that other players, new or experienced, might be doing the camp you want, so you just have to move on to another one.

And to give you ideas for where to go, might I suggest the wiki's Treasure Hunting Guide (link in my signature). Although if you really want my advice, you should go to the Per-Level Hunting guide instead; no one needs plat to level, and at low levels you earn plat extremely slowly, but if you instead focus on leveling you'll hit 60 in no time and at 60 it is much, much easier to earn plat.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Closed Thread