Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-10-2020, 10:37 PM
Large Rat

Default Login server list EMPTY

I have literally been trying to login for HOURS. It either hangs and times out or it lets me login and there are no servers listed. What in the actual ****?!?!?!? I have restarted my pc, restarted my modem, restarted my router, tried to use a VPN, and pretty much anything else you can imagine. How do I fix this?! And what a DUMB bug...
Old 03-10-2020, 10:49 PM
Aviak

Hello, unfortunately I don’t have a solution but I too have been having this issue. I was online just fine today and about 3 hours ago the game froze when zoning. Then the server select screen has been blank since. I tried restarting modem, reconnecting to WiFi, restarting machine, reinstalling EQ and transferring patch files. My connection is extremely strong with a consistent 400mbps DL speed. I haven’t had any luck and I’m giving up for the night. Hopefully it will resolve itself by tomorrow!
Old 03-11-2020, 01:49 AM
Planar Protector

There are settings our Lord and Saviour Rogean has put in place to protect the server from DDoS attacks. Sometimes these, and other ISP routing policies, can cause issues when trying to connect. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do on your end (other than attempting to log in from other sources) to alleviate this. Your best bet is to keep trying and hope your ISP updates their routing tables often.

-Mcoy
Old 03-11-2020, 05:10 AM
Planar Protector

Keep trying. If your bandwidth is under stress (downloads, Netflix, other things that make it max out) then that can contribute to not seeing a server list.

I say it a lot but also you can't beat an ethernet cable, at least to see if it solves the issue as it could be your wireless in some aspect.

If that's possible for you to try, give it a try <3
Old 03-11-2020, 10:02 AM
Fire Giant

Weird. I know people are having issues and I feel for them, but I've been able to login without any problems for... months. On wifi. While netflixing (no chill, sadly), on slower ISP speeds than many here are reporting.

I use Comcast Business, and am in the SE US, for whatever that's worth.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep trying. If your bandwidth is under stress (downloads, Netflix, other things that make it max out) then that can contribute to not seeing a server list.

I say it a lot but also you can't beat an ethernet cable, at least to see if it solves the issue as it could be your wireless in some aspect.

If that's possible for you to try, give it a try <3
In my experience it's a bandwidth issue. Just yesterday I was downloading the new CoD and while that was downloading I went to load EQ only to be met with a blank server screen. I paused the CoD download then logged back into EQ (just went from server screen to login screen and back) and the server list appeared correctly at this point. I have had this happen in the past while doing certain downloads that destroyed my bandwidth (my net does suck).

Bye.

Frictator 60 Bard - Red
Old 03-11-2020, 11:40 AM
Sarnak

Got doubts on the bandwidth issue - I was logging in fine until last night, zoned, crashed and have been getting a blank list ever since. I've had it happen a handful of times where I tried again, but this has persisted through router factory resets, restarts, swapping ethernet cables, manually forwarding ports, messing with eqhosts etc. Definitely not a bandwidth issue. Still no response pinging the login server either.

I've settled into a 'wait and see if the routing tables change' because I can't think of anything else to do on my end. Involuntary EQvacation.

Net is AT&T.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:44 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Got doubts on the bandwidth issue - I was logging in fine until last night, zoned, crashed and have been getting a blank list ever since. I've had it happen a handful of times where I tried again, but this has persisted through router factory resets, restarts, swapping ethernet cables, manually forwarding ports, messing with eqhosts etc. Definitely not a bandwidth issue. Still no response pinging the login server either.

I've settled into a 'wait and see if the routing tables change' because I can't think of anything else to do on my end. Involuntary EQvacation.

Net is AT&T.
The issue may be different for different folks but I have had this happen multiple times and stopping a download through steam, battle.net or origin has resolved it every time so it's purely a suggestion.

Bye.

Frictator 60 Bard - Red
Old 03-11-2020, 11:48 AM
Sarnak

As with most things there's probably a number of causes unfortunately. But I've spoken to several people who had sudden crashes on zones last night with blank server lists since, so I have to think this is something on either the ISP or EQEmu's side.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM
Aviak

Fighting this issue again. So far 2 hours. Last time it lasted for over 24 hours. This time around I’ve tried ATT direct line, ATT WiFi, and ATT cell hotspot. No luck. I do have a T-Mobile phone so I am able to login successfully with a T-Mobile hotspot. Very strange. Connection is obviously no where near as strong as my direct line with ATT.

It would be really great to hear some feedback on a potential cause. Can I do anything on the ATT side to prevent it from happening?