Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 11:56 PM
Planar Protector

Default Can Warriors make good DPS instead of Tanks?

Given that they have Dual Wield, Double Attack, Kick, Bash (and Slam if you're playing a large race) and Crits, can a Warrior be played as a DPS class instead of a Tanking class if they focus on damage stats like Str, Dex, Haste, and the right clickies and procs, instead of HP/AC?
Old 06-06-2020, 12:57 AM
Planar Protector

Warrior dps is pretty good, Not rogue or wizard but better than sk,pal,rng 9/10
With the proper weapons and gear ofc.

The problem with rolling a warrior as DPS is that you'll inevitably get lumped in as a tank. A warrior only geared for DPS isn't a tank and will fail in that role. Which will cause your guild to be unhappy with you.
Rolling a warrior and telling everyone, oh no guys I'm a DPS I can't tank. It's not a good look. If you want to play a dps warrior, play wow. js
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Warrior dps is pretty good, Not rogue or wizard but better than sk,pal,rng 9/10
With the proper weapons and gear ofc.

The problem with rolling a warrior as DPS is that you'll inevitably get lumped in as a tank. A warrior only geared for DPS isn't a tank and will fail in that role. Which will cause your guild to be unhappy with you.
Rolling a warrior and telling everyone, oh no guys I'm a DPS I can't tank. It's not a good look. If you want to play a dps warrior, play wow. js
Ideally I'd have two sets of gear, one for Tanking and one for DPS.

Or possibly several, depending on how important it is to have pure resist gear in raids.

I'd think that Warrior DPS is at least comparable to a Monks. Flying Kick can't outperform regular Kick and Crits/Crippling Blows by that big of a margin.
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 06-06-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Old 06-06-2020, 05:58 AM
Large Rat

If we're talking about "Chardok 2.0 WAR at level 60" vs. "Chardok 2.0 MNK at level 60" I would tend to agree with you. Some problems we have about proving this:

-There doesn't appear to be a lot of public information on critical hits here on p99
*How often do they occur at what DEX? (i.e. does it occur at 5% at 75 DEX etc. etc.)
*What is the amount of damage they do?
-There is not a lot of public information on Crippling Blows
*What is the amount of damage they do?
-There is not a lot of public information on Monk Triple Attack
*How often does it occur?
-How does a Warrior reliably keep their HP down?
(Think "Dwarven Rock Cake+Dharoks" in OSRS)
*Manastone in Old World does the job fairly well
*Having no food in inventory puts a stop to your personal HP regen (even as iksar/troll) when your character is (hungry?)
*Group Healers in general are terrible and will constantly just auto-heal you if they see you at 40% hp even after telling them multiple times not to heal you (+them acknowledging that they are going to keep you between 25-40% hp)
*Groups like having Bards in group running a healing song. Are you really going to sit there and click it off every ~6 seconds?
-No Damage Numbers on Kick, Slam or Flying Kick on the Wiki

I have personally seen my Crippling Blow damage be equal to more than 10x the weapon damage of my Gatorsmash Maul.

Let's not forget that a fully decked out Warrior will have much more HP, and much more mitigation AC versus a similarly geared Monk.

On the green server with 149 kick, my level 50 Warriors kick damage is 1-13, leaning very much towards 8 damage. My slam damage is 1-16, leaning very much again towards 8. However, I hit so many slams above 8 that I would guess the average would be closer to 10. This is with a small sample size of ~100 slams and 55 kicks. A Monk's flying kick damage is (I believe) 70-140. Any level 50 monks on green feel free to chip in some damage numbers on your flying kick damage.

There is one passive mechanic that Monks (allegedly) have at level 60 called "Triple Attack". It turns a (small) % of their double attacks into a 3 hit instead of a 2 hit. Again, little to no public information.

Public information to me is the Wiki. If it isn't on the wiki, it might as well not exist to the general population of P99. This is pretty much a fact.
Last edited by valenwood; 06-06-2020 at 06:08 AM..
Old 06-06-2020, 06:15 AM
Planar Protector

Warriors won't be top dps, but they definitely do more than respectable dps, way more than a knight can do... On lots of groups, if you have a knight and a warriors, it's way more efficient to have the knight tank and the warrior dps
Old 06-06-2020, 07:42 AM
Planar Protector

A lot of tank gear has str, and warriors tend to gear dex anyway for their procs. With that in mind I don’t believe the opportunity cost of carry capacity sacrificed isn’t really worth the pay off of carrying a second suit.

An extra weapon that doesn’t draw so much aggro isn’t a bad idea though. It’s fun to play a warrior kept in low health berserker mode, especially in the 50s once disciplines come in to being. Either scoring a few huge hits with fell strike, crip spamming with mighty blow or simply using the slower burning faster reuse options.

Generally in early era Everquest +stats don’t make a huge difference compared to skills and levels. No matter how much str/dex you stack a warrior’s kick won’t fly.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Kobold

I'd love to see a group of 5 warriors and a healer. Things would probably just...... die.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Warriors aren't bad dps. If the player is geared and not afk they are fine...plus you get a backup tank.

If you get really excited keep the warrior DPSing at low health for the crips. These can be shockingly big numbers with a 2h weapon and high str.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Wait, Monks have Triple Attack? What!?
Old 06-06-2020, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Didn't warriors alrdy have triple attack before monks