Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't mean this as a troll; I mean what I'm about to say sincerely. I don't fundamentally understand the enjoyment or what it is that drives a person to continue to play stagnant content that will literally never be updated [beyond minimal patches for what's left for pre-luclin] for years on end. In other games like WoW when the raid tier is beaten and on farm status the guild typically takes a break until the next tier; they don't raid it for 4 years. Checking the forums I get; it's no worse than those of us who enjoy watching some reality TV on E! for a quick laugh, but for those sitting in ToV for hours on end I legit don't get it. Someone help explain.
Great question and much respect.

The best way I can answer is this: Some people collect stamps.

Same principle. I couldn't do it. Guessing you are not a life long stamp collector either. Yet some people love the shit out of collecting stamps and do it their whole lives. Even though the list of stamps worth collecting will never grow or change.

*Most* of the counter argument seems to be that someone used to love collecting stamps, but doesn't anymore and anyone that still does is somehow broken.

Ironically if all the stamps were taken away from everyone, they would love collecting them all over again.

All things considered... 20 year old elf sim and we are questioning how long is too long.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t know anyone who watches the same four hour movie / tv show twice a week every week for years on end
Gotem
Old 04-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Camacho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Same principle. I couldn't do it. Guessing you are not a life long stamp collector either. Yet some people love the shit out of collecting stamps and do it their whole lives. Even though the list of stamps worth collecting will never grow or change.

*Most* of the counter argument seems to be that someone used to love collecting stamps, but doesn't anymore and anyone that still does is somehow broken.

Ironically if all the stamps were taken away from everyone, they would love collecting them all over again.

All things considered... 20 year old elf sim and we are questioning how long is too long.
I appreciate the response, but I don't think it's a great comparison.

I enjoy replaying some old classic video games from time to time, as I'm sure many of us do; or re-watching a television series I enjoyed, or a movie, going on an amusement park ride I've been on before, eating a favorite dish at a local restaurant, etc., etc. Part of life is some sort of repetitiveness, re-enjoying things we experienced in the past, etc., and I think everyone agrees that's perfectly normal.

On the other hand, outside of perhaps a psychological disorder book, and P99 [particularly R99], I don't know anyone who watches the same hours long movie multiple times a week every week for years, or who replays Super Mario World from start to finish 3x a week every week for 6+ years, goes on the same amusement park ride every single week multiple times, etc.

Wasn't really meant as an attack on people who do enjoy doing it, but I question whether people really actually enjoy it or of this is just there sense of purpose and/or community; with the game being something that enables the former.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:52 PM
Sarnak

Not only do I enjoy playing a video game from 1999, but I listen to the same music from 1999 while doing so.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Planar Protector

The comparison would be if you play the same song on loop for 4 hours at a time multiple times a week for years while playing the same video game repeatedly.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

hb ur a lawyer but fun is subjective

ur not winning this 1 buddy
Old 04-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Banned

Ya but fun or not you are a fucking loser
Old 04-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Camacho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I get your point, but, eq is pixels, stamps are a reality, and tangible.

most of us played for nostalgic reasons; and pixel lust for pixels we never attained on live (most of us), then when we got them we moved on.

it's akin to licking an ice block, you lick it till you down to the paddle, then you stop and throw it away.

some of these suckers are chewing the paddle to try extract out any residue, and for that they kindof put themselves out there
Old 04-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Banned

I love getting high as fuck in the bathroom on some angel dust and crying until I throw up
Old 04-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
The comparison would be if you play the same song on loop for 4 hours at a time multiple times a week for years while playing the same video game repeatedly.
Only if I were doing the same camp for 4 hours at a time multiple times a week for years while playing the same song repeatedly.

Question: Why do you care what people do for fun in their life? I can assure you there are people doing much, much worse than playing EQ my friend. Perhaps you can save your diatribe for them? Maybe you're so self centered that you think the decision you made for yourself should be extended to all? At any rate, if I do ever decided to "quit" playing EQ, I certainly won't be so big a douche to come back to these forums and lecture others about doing what I usta' do. Just sayin.
Last edited by Samaritan; 04-08-2019 at 07:32 PM..
Closed Thread