Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Newbie Paladin new to EQ altogether (Intro and question about early gearing)

Heya all, just getting started in P99, IGN is Lawmay

A little background, I never played EQ back in the day. EQOA on PS2 was my game (mained a Pally), sadly SOE shut it down back in 2012, I know alot of people hate on it, but it was fun to me.

Anyways got the Norrath itch, specifically in a more "classic" form, so this seemed right up my alley.

Definitely a big transition getting into this especially coming from newer MMOs but I'm enjoying the slower Grindier nature alot, missed the true "sandbox" style.

Anyways, any tips in general or specifically for a paladin are appreciated. I'm currently only level 4 but I've managed to farm up 13 stacks of bone chips and even one HQ bear skin, I'm currently trying to sell them in the tunnel, only a matter of time :).

Once I do, what should be my first priority? I'm thinking either a decent weapon or a set of banded. Also any suggestions as far as "Best bang for my buck" weapons go?
I should mention I have a very busy schedule as I work 100 hours a week and have a fiance who is...hmm what's a nice way of saying co dependant :p... So this will mostly be a solo character. I know Paladins aren't the fastest soloers, but I'm in no hurry, I'd rather progress slowly with a character I want to play rather than quickly on one I don't.

Thanks in advance and Hello :)
Old 04-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Orc

First 100pp should go to: https://wiki.project1999.com/Sword_of_Skyfire
Next 100pp should go to: https://wiki.project1999.com/Small_Banded_Armor_Set
You then want to save up for a pair of: https://wiki.project1999.com/Platinum_Fire_Wedding_Ring
Old 04-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Perfect thank you!
I'm now level 8 about to ding 9 and finally getting spells.
Ended up picking up a Green Jade Broadsword in the tunnel and a tower shield from a vendor to get me started, next I'm saving up for that Banded. Thanks again
Old 04-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'd add selling the skyfire and getting something like argent defender after level 20.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

You can get a sword of skyfire for much less than 100pp; when you see them on sale just offer however little you have.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can get a sword of skyfire for much less than 100pp; when you see them on sale just offer however little you have.
Same goes for a bunch of super cheap tunnel stuff like that, people just want it out of their inventory/bank space.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz Deverence [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Perfect thank you!
I'm now level 8 about to ding 9 and finally getting spells.
Ended up picking up a Green Jade Broadsword in the tunnel and a tower shield from a vendor to get me started, next I'm saving up for that Banded. Thanks again
Here is a link to a guy that was advertising free banded armor to newbies and the like a couple months ago. The last post was almost a week ago, so it looks like he's still doing it. Try sending him a PM or look for him in-game to help you get started. Then when you're more established, you could try to pay it forward to the next newbie that needs a little boost.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 AM
Banned

A lot of people in the tunnel will just donate ya the sub 100 plat items.

Just explain you're completely new, folks will help ya out.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:07 PM
Sarnak

Hello Lawmay,

I'd like to first caution you against transacting with ogres, particularly given your current product line. I'd urge you to engage young dwarfs with your wares. they will make better use of the chips. That is your FIRST priority.

Your second priority should be dispensing with delusions of effectively wielding ANY weapon. You are a man of God. Your plight is penance. A Sword of the Morning will serve you well until it begins processing its unholy effect at your 51st level whereupon you will find yourself righteously fncked lest you part ways with it immediately. you will not find this difficult.

the sword is relatively inexpensive and being a fresh nooblette, you might even find someone charitable enough to gift one to you. should you have trouble here though for one reason or another, a Green Jade Broadsword will do fine also. A Baton of Faith is also fantastic for solo from your 20th level when your damage cap is sufficiently lifted.

Thereafter, you should invest all your earnings in enhancing your HEALTH and ARMOR CLASS. Your capacity for dispensing holy wrath is directly correlated with the amount of PAIN you are able to endure. I would work toward increasing your pain tolerance slowly at first and then ramping up as quickly as possible. You can begin with reading the "BDA To Phinegal" thread located within the RANTS AND FLAMES subforum while listening to The Cure, Genesis or any pre-90s Metallica. from there you can move on to more challenging content such as mixed play lists of films starring Kevin Sorbo and filler episodes from Naruto Shippuden.

Best of Luck, Lad!

*smiles and saunters off*
Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Kobold

Wait, wait, wait... does the proc on Sword of the Morning hit YOURSELF and not the target?