Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 01:45 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussenseiter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not worth anything if you don't suffer for it.
Pretty much describes classic EQ perfectly.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 10-18-2023, 10:42 AM
Banned

Seeing the trees. Missing the forest.

What was the last project you worked on for fifteen years for no pay that you still cared about?

Nilbog literally posted in the Bugs section yesterday. He is still dedicated to this server.

Is it Live in 2001. Nah it's twenty two years later.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh I'm not arguing about the dedication. He certainly has dedication. It's just not to classic EQ.
Tracking. Well you do you. If you want to go play on the actual classic EQ server you might need a time machine to 2001 though. In the meantime PQ, P1999, and TAKP are the closest there is.

Purist views aren't what most modern Old school EQ players are after when playing EQ.
Old 10-18-2023, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh I'm not arguing about the dedication. He certainly has dedication. It's just not to classic EQ.
I believe “not classic, but classy” or something similar is the espoused line.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 10-18-2023, 02:32 PM
Banned

For sure. Typically I'm the guy posting about gratitude of those behind the scenes. It kind of amazes me that people expect free products to be perfect. I'm just glad Nilbog still logs in here often. It doesn't sound like many of the other higher ups on p99 login that often any longer.

This is why I'm excited about Secrets server long term. Secrets is relatively younger than most of us. The passion Secrets exudes for Old school EQ reminds me of the feeling I had when I first found out about P99 in 2011. It was exhilarating. It had been out 2-3 years and I couldn't even believe it existed.

As long as Secrets prioritizes their health over time and slowly builds a trustworthy team, Project Quarm is going to slowly evolve the scene and possibly become the proven leader in the EQ Emu scene over an extended period of time. The population of PQ one year from now after Kunark drops will be an indication of its staying power.

If Nilbog, Rogean, Menden and the rest of the CSR team here ever want P99 to become popular again they know what to do. I'm not sure currently if the top folks here have it in them for another round. I hope so though.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:39 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Greetings all! Old school hardcore raiding veteran here who quit around 2005. I had just posted to my old server’s Facebook group about the nostalgia surrounding the game and how much I miss it. While I don’t ever expect that level of fun again, nevertheless I have an itch to try this out. I have yet to start reading through the thread, but my question is now that it’s nearly 20 years later, a lot has changed including now being a parent. If I were to have just 3 or so hours maybe a few nights a week, is this worth a shot? Or is that a bit on the casual side for this project that I wouldn’t enjoy the experience?
Old 10-19-2023, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Greetings all! Old school hardcore raiding veteran here who quit around 2005. I had just posted to my old server’s Facebook group about the nostalgia surrounding the game and how much I miss it. While I don’t ever expect that level of fun again, nevertheless I have an itch to try this out. I have yet to start reading through the thread, but my question is now that it’s nearly 20 years later, a lot has changed including now being a parent. If I were to have just 3 or so hours maybe a few nights a week, is this worth a shot? Or is that a bit on the casual side for this project that I wouldn’t enjoy the experience?
Any of the current Old school EQ servers would love to have you given the times you listed. Yes, you would be able to be able to progress and relive your EQ experiences all over again. A lot of where to play comes down to your playstyle preferences. Some play on multiple servers:

1. P99 Blue - Is the oldest Old School EQ Server. Has been up and running for 14 going on 15 years. Raid scene is done by UN ruleset in Discord. Loot is inexpensive to purchase but economy has slowed due to slightly lower population than Green. Currently locked forever in Velious with level 60 max level. One box server.

2. P99 Green - Five year old Old School Eq Server. Newest server and highest population server on p99. Raid scene is done by UN ruleset in Discord. Economy is relatively strong and easier to move items than on Blue. Currently locked forever in Velious with level 60 max level. One box server.

In the past devs on p99 said there would be a merger eventually between Blue and Green, but there hasn't been an update for a while on that from the devs here. It is possible this merger could still happen in the future but the players don't know when or if it will still happen.

3. TAKP - This is a separate server that is also approx five years old that is done by a separate dev team than p99. A great place if you want expansions past Velious. Another feature that some like is boxing. Most p99ers don't like boxing while many from EQ Live and/or TLP do. Probably the easiest server to get into the high end Raid scene, which is done by rotations. Currently locked forever in Planes of Power with level 65 max level. Three box allowed server, but approx 1/3 players one box.

4. Project Quarm - Newest released server release three weeks ago. Also a separate dev team than p99. Uses the TAKP client and has some backend connections to TAKP dev team. Secrets is the dev that runs this server. Raid scene will be rotation based. Currently server is in Classic era with level 50 max level. Expansions released every 9 months up through Planes of Power. One box server.

There are other less popular servers out there, but I can personally attest to the dedication of the p99 devs, the TAKP devs, and Project Quarm devs.

Good luck fellow Old school EQer
Last edited by Seducio; 10-19-2023 at 04:44 PM..
Old 10-19-2023, 05:56 PM
Banned

Here is Secrets philosophy regarding raiding on PQ as posted on reddit, subject to change over time:

>>
With how many players are going to end up being in the rotation, I expect us to have to artificially speed up content (ie; dropping Naggy from 7 to 3 days once there's, say, 5 or 10 guilds on rotation) but the trick with this is doing it in a way that isn't going to flood guilds with loot pinata NPCs, while allowing everyone to reasonably see content.

Mischief TLP quantity of loot isn't going to be here. You aren't going to kill Fright and have 50 items drop. I'd prefer to see people decide to optimize their raids into smaller guilds over times if they really want to optimize loot output.

Double dipping is another concern, and we will actively disband guilds that partake in this, or prevent people from joining another guild if they violate that policy.

Today, we just made "Guild < >", which is a guild a CSR will force you into that you cannot leave. This is for extreme rulebreakers of that policy.

I have 26 guild leaders in a private section of our Discord, where they're able to communicate when they want to try out NPCs, and then they're put on the rotation after they kill the NPCs. And in the case of disputes, leadership is able to communicate.

As for how to do the rotation? We're automating it, along with a plat sink.

Long-term, we're making 'pseudozones' of say, soldungb with zero experience or loot - just the Fire Giants, Nagafen and a few charm pet NPCs that aren't in the way taking an optimal route (LDCs, Sonic Bats, Fire Imps) and none of the NPCs in the zone will have quests, either.

Spawning the zone will cost platinum. Completion of the raid target (eg; killing Nagafen) will award that guild with a rotation spot if they're not already in the rotation.

Over time, we'll decay guilds who aren't actively raiding to free them up, as well as our raid rules dictating who can and can't get these NPCs during guild-enforced rotations.

Quakes are wholly separate to this, and are there for the hardcore crowd to play the game their way. That's for the folks who want to put in a little bit extra time and effort to get more items, but not significantly more items given the frequency of quakes (7 to 10 days, currently)

We want to be able to support the 'dad guilds' and the 'high end, competitive guilds' in the same server.

That's an incredibly tricky balance to have. Though, we will eventually get to the point where we hit that 'tricky balance'.
>>
Old 10-19-2023, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for how to do the rotation? We're automating it, along with a plat sink.

Spawning the zone will cost platinum.
Oh man if they bring guild dues back. 🤩

Also high pop+GM rotation means buying raid loot will be expensive as heck, as Brad intended.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:44 PM
Fire Giant

Hey guys, anyone else enjoying Quarm? I have only been able to play a few hours, have a bunch of alts none higher than 10, wondering where this new path will take me and anxiously awaiting Beastlord in the future.

One of the things I have been enjoying so far is that some nice guys in the UI section have been slowly raising from the dead some archived UIs from the Archived section in eqinterface.com that works withouts issues in Quarm.

I can now play with some of my very old favorite uis of the day and well, seeing the zones so full of people is amazing.

Just wanted to let you all know that in this very tiny niche community of EQ lovers, I believe all Servers have something for everybody.

Give Quarm a try, its a blast!

One of the things I have found super vintage is how old and dated the base client is, it is truly an old client, P99 uses a much more modern one and it really shows, so that brings an extra touch of vintage nostalgia to it.

Come to Quarm guys, give it a try! Between P99, Lazarus and Quarm I honestly dont know how to get more free time to enjoy them haha.
----------------------------------
[center]
Closed Thread