Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:13 AM
Orc

Default Fun solo/group class for a new toon

I recently finished up a few courses and I now have more time to get back into P99. I'm pretty excited and would like to roll a new toon to start fresh, but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on a class to play.

Back in the day I played a ranger, druid and rogue on Innoruuk. I love the concept of a ranger but from what I've been reading, they are a pretty under powered class in P99 so I might avoid it. I also don't think a rogue suits me very well anymore as I want to have the ability to at least passively solo.

I'm not sure I'll ever get into the raiding scene but I'd like to be able to get groups as well as solo if possible.

I've been looking closest at Paladin, Cleric, Druid, Shaman, Wizard, and Ranger (if an experienced ranger can tell me it's worthwhile) but I'm open to pretty much anything.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to start with class selections? The guides I've come across seem to be outdated so I'm not sure if I should trust them.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:31 AM
Planar Protector

Rangers are totally playable here on p99. Groups often have them pull (if outdoors) and sometimes even tank in a pinch. As far as finding groups and also have soloability, Shaman might be the best fit. They're desired for slow/buffs/heals in groups and you can root/rot to solo (root/rotting before 30 is kinda 'meh', really picks up in the 30s).

Druid are great at solo and you can find groups, but they are less desirable than clerics or shamans in the healer role.

Paladins and clerics *can* solo, but it will be so slow you'll want to kill yourself.

Wizards are the pariah class here. You'll sit LFG for hours.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:55 AM
Planar Protector

Ranger is a super fun and versatile class. Most of the 'XP Highway' is outdoors, which plays to ranger's strengths as pullers.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:25 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers are totally playable here on p99. Groups often have them pull (if outdoors) and sometimes even tank in a pinch. As far as finding groups and also have soloability, Shaman might be the best fit. They're desired for slow/buffs/heals in groups and you can root/rot to solo (root/rotting before 30 is kinda 'meh', really picks up in the 30s).

Druid are great at solo and you can find groups, but they are less desirable than clerics or shamans in the healer role.

Paladins and clerics *can* solo, but it will be so slow you'll want to kill yourself.

Wizards are the pariah class here. You'll sit LFG for hours.
Thanks for the input!

I'll look a little closer at Shaman, Druids and Rangers and I'll likely stay away from Wizards, Pallys, and Clerics at least to start.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:28 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger is a super fun and versatile class. Most of the 'XP Highway' is outdoors, which plays to ranger's strengths as pullers.
Awesome! Fun and versatile sounds good to me. I assume the desired pulling technique would include a combo of sow, lull/calm/harmony, and bow?

Any race stand out for ranger or does it matter?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

You can also split up pulls throwing out a mix of roots and snares on inc so the mobs arrive at staggered intervals.

Race isn't too important, go tunare if you want a fancy hat.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:09 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can also split up pulls throwing out a mix of roots and snares on inc so the mobs arrive at staggered intervals.

Race isn't too important, go tunare if you want a fancy hat.
Clever technique. I'll be sure to do that.

Sounds like I'm going ranger after all. Thanks Jimjam.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Banned

Im'a go ahead and just suggest an SK.. I been promoting them a lot lately. I can solo and group perfectly fine depending on my playtime. Lots of really cool spell tools. Both forms of invis, snare's and life taps, HT which is really a life saver haha. And most importantly- Feign Death.. I feel like the only 3 classes i can really play and grind on have to be FD classes at this point in my life. I cannot dedicate hours of uninterrupted time anymore..

Anyways just figured i'd throw SK out there! Plus some real cool weapons for cheap due to the class restricted weapons!
Old 05-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im'a go ahead and just suggest an SK.. I been promoting them a lot lately. I can solo and group perfectly fine depending on my playtime. Lots of really cool spell tools. Both forms of invis, snare's and life taps, HT which is really a life saver haha. And most importantly- Feign Death.. I feel like the only 3 classes i can really play and grind on have to be FD classes at this point in my life. I cannot dedicate hours of uninterrupted time anymore..

Anyways just figured i'd throw SK out there! Plus some real cool weapons for cheap due to the class restricted weapons!
Thanks bigjeff, I'll do some research on it. You make a good point about FD. I think my biggest issues with SK and the main reasons I hadn't really considered it is faction and race. The only SK I can see myself sticking with is a Dark Elf (maybe Erudite or Human) and they seem to lack decent stats for SKs (although hide is nice, albeit less important once FD is in the picture). That coupled with the lack of friendly zones just seems like I'd be setting myself up for failure. I'm open to having my mind changed on that though.
Last edited by Tethelin; 05-28-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Old 05-28-2019, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethelin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks bigjeff, I'll do some research on it. You make a good point about FD. I think my biggest issues with SK and the main reasons I hadn't really considered it is faction and race. The only SK I can see myself sticking with is a Dark Elf and they seem to lack decent stats for SKs (although hide is nice, albeit less important once FD is in the picture). That coupled with the lack of friendly zones just seems like I'd be setting myself up for failure. I'm open to having my mind changed on that though.
I've never made or played a DE. I made my SK a Erudite, which i had never played before as well.. Loved that it gave me the chance to explore Odus, Warren's was friggin sweet man. But then the Erudite gives me the option of being able to still dink around without being totally hated.. I also made him with erudite cultural armor in mind, so for the first 35 levels or so, i was the coolest lookin erudite around!

Anyways, i think it's safe to say if you can't stand looking at your character, then it will never be worth making.. So if you're dead set on the DE, and unhappy with his stats, then i'd say skip the SK.. But SK doesn't need to worry about being AS gear dependent as a warrior..
Closed Thread