Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

I am tempted to log in just to see the fun.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Orc

/petition could you make my character kill one mob and ding 54 too?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Banned

Well no one will be fighting over raids for awhile. Lol.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehwoot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well no one will be fighting over raids for awhile. Lol.
this made me lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetviper21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is all fine and dandy but how does everyone feel giving up there personal privacy of there own computer running an injected DLL that they have no real idea what its looking at or for.
*more whining follows*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigdogius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What I find odd is that no one has any fear at all of these DLL's which could cause a whole host of security issues.
*more whining follows*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbent [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
created a virus to track cheaters? wow, this is actually lower than sony, you might get a bunch of people to actually go BACK to sony because of this bullshit.
*more whining follows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbent [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
avast picked it up as a trojan, and itchybottom talked about it too on his blog
*more whining follows*
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just run EQ via Wine on Linux and you don't have to worry about your DLL's messing with anything else [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What tristantio said. In your face. Using windows and complaining about privacy issues? Doesn't blend.

Seriously guys, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you do not really try to find excuses to complain without admitting that you are cheaters. I do agree it is not a good feeling to have some software on your system where you don't know what it does and how much control someone has over it. But in the case of windows, that is true for the whole operating system, and in case of any legit piece of closed-source software you have to trust the publisher not to spy on you. So much software is "phoning home", especially microsoft products.

I would say I trust our coders here a lot more than big corporate industry xy. And of course, that does not make me naive. My EQ runs in a wine sandbox, good luck trying to get to my private data or corrupting my system with that.

Give it a thought. Microsoft windows is the most widespread OS, but it is - by far - not the most user friendly. Some Linux distributions have outclassed Windows by now, and if enough people helped to increase the market share, we'd get more commercial software (games!) released for Linux also.

Best regards,

Slozem
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoucLangur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What tristantio said. In your face. Using windows and complaining about privacy issues? Doesn't blend.

Seriously guys, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you do not really try to find excuses to complain without admitting that you are cheaters. I do agree it is not a good feeling to have some software on your system where you don't know what it does and how much control someone has over it. But in the case of windows, that is true for the whole operating system, and in case of any legit piece of closed-source software you have to trust the publisher not to spy on you. So much software is "phoning home", especially microsoft products.

I would say I trust our coders here a lot more than big corporate industry xy. And of course, that does not make me naive. My EQ runs in a wine sandbox, good luck trying to get to my private data or corrupting my system with that.

Give it a thought. Microsoft windows is the most widespread OS, but it is - by far - not the most user friendly. Some Linux distributions have outclassed Windows by now, and if enough people helped to increase the market share, we'd get more commercial software (games!) released for Linux also.

Best regards,

Slozem
You don't seem to know much about computers. Yes, that does make you naive, Wine doesn't "sandbox" anything, and what does "user friendly" have to do with anything you're talking about here?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't seem to know much about computers. Yes, that does make you naive, Wine doesn't "sandbox" anything, and what does "user friendly" have to do with anything you're talking about here?
I would say the sandboxing depends fully on the configuration you run it in. But you were right, my wine runs in no real sandbox, thanks for the heads-up. Your insult in my general direction definitely makes the advice all the more helpful [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread