Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebutthat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had 500KB/s badwith in 1997. 56k was for the poors.
That'll getcha laid in 2016!

Wait. No it won't.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldan4 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
uhhh id like to know what your basing this off of. When TMO came over to Red they didn't leave because they leveled too fast. If anything it helped them get into the game faster. I watched SOME people leave because they caved under pressure.

I don't know who you are, but unless you have red experience to back yourself up don't make nonsensical claims about the demise of red.
I'm a middle of the road guy. I try a lot of things. However, when it comes to my class, I'm always a paladin, so it's no surprise I hated the EQ model of PvP in those early days. That and I ran into my first grief players.

After finishing out what a dwarf can do on his own on P99 and scrolling past thread after thread after thread about R99, I thought I'd try it.

I played a couple of toons: druid in case the wife wanted to play (and drop transfers wherever I am), then my paladin. Got them to around 35 and have a few stitches of gear.

I lay all this out to say the following: Red 99 will never ever matter to this community. It's the ambiance. I knocked around on red for a few weeks and I have to say, chat is just toxic. It was toxic a few years back when I tried and still was as of a few months ago when I just logged out and quit. I get why many R99ers love talking smack, I do. It's fun to rib your compatriots in competition.

I'm from redneckistan in Virginia. I understand that I won't attract others to my hamlet by acting like a full redneck at all times. Just won't happen. Oh I'll appeal to people who are already like me, but then that's just the same shit again and again isn't it?

I've tried Red as a bluebie in two different eras around here and each time it was the same: a cesspool of what seems to be socially maladjusted folks hurling insult bombs at each other that are designed to be maximally offensive to anyone that can get the ASCII on their screen.

I've already been 13. It was fun to be an obnoxious asshole then. By the time I was 17 the luster had long stopped shining on that particular comedy styling.

It did for a lot of us a long time ago.

Red won't die. It seems to consistently hold 10% of the total P99 population. And as you'd like for folks to quit predicting Red's demise, I'd appreciate it if more Red players would realize there's no Blue exodus coming. I'd also appreciate it if more Red players can understand what Blue players do: we simply don't want to play in your box /grin. Acknowledge that your brand of play is the outlying fashion here.

That and I saw the word "******" WAAAY too much in chat on Red.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A silly idea but Why cant the server emulate a 256k/128k connection? lol People would LOVE that.
Not a silly idea, though the power gamers here will reminisce about playing on cable and 8 boxing and that throttling so much isn't classic, but throttling to 512 would be near the high water mark in 2001 (a couple report higher, but even they admit that it's in special test cases), which would come to 64KB/s: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...-or-cable-dsl)

They'd cry about all of the link deaths from zoning and having trouble logging in and what-not, but that's classic too.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

seems like this patch should add spell interruption to red

just think of the tears for lost sit casting
Old 09-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Sarnak

Thx much for these great changes Rog, Nilbog + co. u guys are on point as usual. Long live p99.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

So I don't have to say it after every sentence, I want to applaud the people working on these changes for taking the time to do so. Instead of paying the monthly fee on the pay servers, this place makes for a great alternative. I also want to say This post is not intended to flame anyone, but to add my worthless two cents and hopefully give some constructive criticism that I'm surprised hasn't gotten brought up yet.

Quote:
This affects all player vs npc detrimental Target AE and PBAE spells including Nukes, Stuns, Songs, and etc. We will continue to evalulate this to determine if any further changes are needed.
Nerfing Wizards, Enchanters, Bards, is HUGE and not at all like it was circa 1999. I don't think it's fair to pay such attention to detail on everything else to keep it like it was in 1999, then completely nerf certain classes and say it was ok due to server lag back in the day.

that's all.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaidh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a middle of the road guy. I try a lot of things. However, when it comes to my class, I'm always a paladin, so it's no surprise I hated the EQ model of PvP in those early days. That and I ran into my first grief players.

After finishing out what a dwarf can do on his own on P99 and scrolling past thread after thread after thread about R99, I thought I'd try it.

I played a couple of toons: druid in case the wife wanted to play (and drop transfers wherever I am), then my paladin. Got them to around 35 and have a few stitches of gear.

I lay all this out to say the following: Red 99 will never ever matter to this community. It's the ambiance. I knocked around on red for a few weeks and I have to say, chat is just toxic. It was toxic a few years back when I tried and still was as of a few months ago when I just logged out and quit. I get why many R99ers love talking smack, I do. It's fun to rib your compatriots in competition.

I'm from redneckistan in Virginia. I understand that I won't attract others to my hamlet by acting like a full redneck at all times. Just won't happen. Oh I'll appeal to people who are already like me, but then that's just the same shit again and again isn't it?

I've tried Red as a bluebie in two different eras around here and each time it was the same: a cesspool of what seems to be socially maladjusted folks hurling insult bombs at each other that are designed to be maximally offensive to anyone that can get the ASCII on their screen.

I've already been 13. It was fun to be an obnoxious asshole then. By the time I was 17 the luster had long stopped shining on that particular comedy styling.

It did for a lot of us a long time ago.

Red won't die. It seems to consistently hold 10% of the total P99 population. And as you'd like for folks to quit predicting Red's demise, I'd appreciate it if more Red players would realize there's no Blue exodus coming. I'd also appreciate it if more Red players can understand what Blue players do: we simply don't want to play in your box /grin. Acknowledge that your brand of play is the outlying fashion here.

That and I saw the word "******" WAAAY too much in chat on Red.
ok. ill admit Red is a cesspool of slime, that slime sticks to you in ways and in places that cuase most people to cringe and fall away. However it doesn't HAVE to be that way. I came from VZ. The only server that had real honor as far as I could tell. You acted like a douche in pvp, no high end guild would touch you. Your name was Blacklisted and you might as well RR.

Lets face it, we ALL play this wishing to re-live our glory days. I know I won't find it on red, but its closer then blue, ive been on blue (on live). I refuse to be a typewriter monkey.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Large Bat

Keep up the great work!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

On live, AE groups were nerfed by reducing how many could have aggro on you at a time (to ~25, I think). That was a better solution, because those extra mobs would wander away, then come back and kill you when you were OOM. It wasn't just that you couldn't _kill_ 25+ mobs; it was that you couldn't _control_ 25+ mobs, something that's much more important.

In the current scenario on P99, a bard gathers every mob in a zone, then kills 25 of them, but the rest of the mobs are still under his control. So he kills the next 25. Etc, etc. The only thing that changes is the speed of the killing.

So the live solution was better, and I think they should revert the change and do that instead.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:02 AM
Aviak

Too bad I didnt hit 60 on my cleric in chardok... within the last 4? years...
Closed Thread