Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 04-05-2024, 01:25 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I used to think this was a good idea and then I actually experienced Luclin on Mischief TLP for the first time in years and realized how... it basically fundamentally kills 95% of the game. It didn't feel this way back in the day. I didn't even start getting my Velious gear from NToV until well AFTER Luclin came out... this was somewhat normal on my server. Luclin and most expansions just felt like extra content when they were originally released. Now that players know how to digest the same content super quickly, Luclin feels like it just fundamentally alters EQ in a bad way.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:53 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-05-2024, 04:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotterpin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. It's an attempt to force one dev's "vision" and if they don't like a thing, regardless if people were doing that thing in era or not, fuck off, kick rocks, out it goes. People had wildly unique experiences across different servers in classic. Just start a conversation in any of the guild discords about peoples experience in classic and it's easy to see. Trying to force one person's "vision" of classic as the experience that everyone is required to have is beyond stupid.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Non-Classic_Compendium
Vision^TM is classic. Before it was Brad. He’s gone. We have a new person now. Nethertheless top down enforcement of vision is classic and persists. Praz Brad. Praz Nibgean.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 04-05-2024, 04:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgasari [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does the popularity of one service ever serve to strangle any competition in the cradle?

I feel like this is something I forgot from decades ago.

🧙💤
Didn’t stop Quarm. Nor the many servers which have sprung up and been popular with the pvp community.

As long as you have a good vision, communicate it well, and people have like 85% trust you can pull it off for more than a couple months you can succeed.

Good luck!!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 04-05-2024, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quarm has manarocks and pinkicite. Thats a good enough reason for me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-05-2024, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn’t stop Quarm. Nor the many servers which have sprung up and been popular with the pvp community.

As long as you have a good vision, communicate it well, and people have like 85% trust you can pull it off for more than a couple months you can succeed.

Good luck!!
Is that a legit server?
Old 04-05-2024, 07:23 PM
Sarnak

I can't believe Quarm isn't going to be shut down. Like at least half the players there would migrate to the new TLP if it got the axe. Direct competitor to live progression servers, nothing like p99.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can't believe Quarm isn't going to be shut down. Like at least half the players there would migrate to the new TLP if it got the axe. Direct competitor to live progression servers, nothing like p99.
Aw fudge. And she just secured the sinecure.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:19 AM
Large Rat

I'm surprised no one mentioned p2002 aka wayfarer's haven. Those guys went from PoP to several expansions later in a couple years. Yes, it's a 3 box server, so grab a copy of it, if Trust would let you, and make a single box only version. I haven't played on it in a couple years but the GMs were fun, participated, and enforced their rules. I did encounter pathing issues in Unrest, no surprise there LOL.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:57 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotterpin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. It's an attempt to force one dev's "vision" and if they don't like a thing, regardless if people were doing that thing in era or not, fuck off, kick rocks, out it goes. People had wildly unique experiences across different servers in classic. Just start a conversation in any of the guild discords about peoples experience in classic and it's easy to see. Trying to force one person's "vision" of classic as the experience that everyone is required to have is beyond stupid.
Yes, you kinda answered your own grievance here. In classic, when there were like 25 servers that all had populations over 1500, there were many emergent ways that different people played the game, resulting in legitimately different cultures on each server. Here, the scope is much much smaller than that, so how exactly should they "emulate" the things *you* remember that nobody else does? Or remembers differently?

They could tune the server exactly to *your* liking and there'd still be a million dickheads saying it's all wrong. See the issue?