Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
VT was such a snoozefest. I did enjoy Ssra though.

PoP was a blast. So many cool encounters.
For as bad as VT was, and it was really bad, Ssra was fantastic. Also the nice part about progression from luclin to pop was you didn't have to raid VT if you didn't want. You could go straight from Ssra/non-VT content in luclin to lower planes and work your way up to PoTime.

It really was the best time to play EQ.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can we just do some PoP without Luclin?
And without pok
Old 04-14-2021, 02:33 PM
Banned

Cuclin
Old 04-14-2021, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

The experiences of raider grinder minmaxxers are so different than the experiences of "normal" players. I say normal like that because the people on P99 may all tend to be the kind that want to beat the game, so I can see the appeal of those high end expansions, but geez I mean really what is bad about live now versus what you're asking for? Thats an honest question.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

~Mission Creep~

Get those trilogy bug reports in you bunch of betas.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The experiences of raider grinder minmaxxers are so different than the experiences of "normal" players. I say normal like that because the people on P99 may all tend to be the kind that want to beat the game, so I can see the appeal of those high end expansions, but geez I mean really what is bad about live now versus what you're asking for? Thats an honest question.
The answer to that would be a short story a number of pages long. Just like people think that PoP resembles nothing like what they like about EQ classic-velious, current day live EQ might as well be a different game than how it was during PoP. Mercs is just one thing I could point to, player housing is another, transmogs, level boosting, 7000+ aa's... etc etc.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:01 PM
Banned

I never got to mine much AA back in the day, I had that one that made you run faster (which was nice for indoor dungeons)... all my AOE friends and people who could solo were getting like 200 in the time I was getting 6 lol. Being Rogue was pretty rough honestly.

But yeah, the AA I something I would like to see in future MMOS. I think it would be possible to have an MMO where you entirely level AA rather than levels. I guess in a way that's kind of how SWG is.

It's a neat idea.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A single group of manaburn wizards can one-shot Sontalak.
Sontalak has about 100k HP. Max Manaburn value in Luclin/PoP is 9492. It would take nearly 2 groups of manaburn wizards.

Also worth note, 2 weeks before PoP launch Manaburn became a DD+Debuff with 1min duration with this line:

2 Stacking: Block new spell if slot 2 is effect 'Manaburn' and < 1

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhis...51&source=Live

2002-10-16 11:15 Changed Durationtext from Instant to 1 min
2002-10-16 11:15 Added Slot 2: Stacking: Block new spell if slot 2 is effect 'Stacking1' and < 1

Essentially it prevented multiple manaburns from landing on mobs that had just been hit by it. So after Luclin finished and PoP was close to release, you could no longer stack Manaburns. With Luclin AA rates and the fact that you need to get 24 AAs to unlock Manaburn I would be shocked if any guild had 12 wizards with Manaburn by PoP launch considering Spell Casting Fury/Mastery are more valuable AAs to get for a raiding wizard.

Also to everyone who hates on PoK, people already refuse to run a huge amount on P99. See all those people in EC asking for a teleport to South Ro for example, all 3 zonelines away. People on P99 tend to just pay someone who may as well be an NPC as far as they are concerned for a teleport to their destination. Having played both a 60 druid and 60 wizard on P99 I can tell you the social interactions from people asking for ports are basically non-existent. They're about 2 tells with travel destinations, payment offers and thanks. No one is forming friendships or static groups with the random guy asking for the druid or wizard to port them to another group that doesn't want a druid or wizard to join it.

Having PoK stones in though allows groups to pick up members without worrying about a huge travel time/delay to replace a member and it allows you to skip exp-highway zones and travel to oddball zones that don't see much traffic. Also by this time, druid/wizards are balanced out much better with AAs/Spells in Luclin and PoP, so the "loss" of porting it pretty negligible. Not to mention the Kunark/Velious/Luclin ports all still hold value, as do the Karana, Ro, Commons and Stonebrunt ports. Less than half of the classic teleports have a PoK book in them, 0 of the expansion ports have a PoK book (except Nexus/PoK themselves which don't really count)

In summary, when Green reached Velious end-game, make Blue a Luclin->PoP bound server.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

Anyone who says luclin isn't possible because of past comments doesn't really get how software development works. We are playing a game called Project 1999 and the game we are playing is closer to 2001. Pushing it to 2002 isn't a big leap here, it just takes the right person interested in doing it.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who says luclin isn't possible because of past comments doesn't really get how software development works. We are playing a game called Project 1999 and the game we are playing is closer to 2001. Pushing it to 2002 isn't a big leap here, it just takes the right person interested in doing it.
Would be interested in the legal ramifications of additional expansions if the live EQ owners saw that as more of an issue for their business model.
Closed Thread