Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Haven't read the topic but back then nobody charmed because people were too scared of charm breaks and potential death.

Death was more of a problem back than it is today because:
- cleric epics were NOWHERE NEAR as prevalent
- travel was harder (no DAP / guild port bitches)
- everyone didn't have an alt 49+ cleric
- people weren't as knowledgeable about the game as they are today to make back the lost exp (res or not)

People just didn't generally bother with a lot of content unless they had the basic tank/healer/dps structure to work from.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemace [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i mean, as a caster back in the days. mob starts hitting you? what did you do? run in circles trying to stop getting hit.

what do you do now? not much cause you know you're not actually gonna die so you can mez / root / charm / whatever. that simple change of mentality 'oh i'm actually fine right now' allows you to do more 'risky' stuff.
Uh no, even back then if your first reaction to getting hit was to run around in circles you were certified bad at EQ. In a group at least, unless you are trying to talk about kiting for some reason.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uh no, even back then if your first reaction to getting hit was to run around in circles you were certified bad at EQ. In a group at least, unless you are trying to talk about kiting for some reason.
yes, that's exactly what i am saying. people were very bad at EQ.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:16 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sound like a scared Enchanter whose time has come. You're ignoring all the non classic nerfs here to prevent exactly what is happening with Enchanter now.

It's time to nerf Enchanter charm everyone. Turn them back into a group mez class like we all know they are and were intended to be regardless.
I literally said i would personally prefer if they did in fact nerf it. Try and follow along
<Azure Guard>

Green
-Curare, Necromancer
Old 11-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not very untrue, dude. Most of the chanters on p99 today didn't use charm heavily several years ago because most everyone thought it was too dangerous. And that was on p99 in 2010+.

Basically NOBODY knew how to use it correctly on live.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=80165

The Solo Artist Challenge thread dates to 2012, which means that the power of charm was well-known on P1999 prior to that. People had been abusing charm for years by the time Loraen codified that list.

Also, the fact that that thread is composed almost entirely of Enchanters or Shaman/Druids/Clerics with Puppet Strings is COMPLETELY COINCIDENTAL folks. No overpowered charm to see here!
Old 11-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemace [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yes, that's exactly what i am saying. people were very bad at EQ.
And I'm saying there were many who weren't and were very good at EQ. Its nonsense to think that the entire playerbase in era shit their pants and panicked anytime something went wrong. Chanters were just as tasked with dealing with trains and shit as they are now, any one who tried running at the first sight of trouble would no longer get invited to groups.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And I'm saying there were many who weren't and were very good at EQ. Its nonsense to think that the entire playerbase in era shit their pants and panicked anytime something went wrong. Chanters were just as tasked with dealing with trains and shit as they are now, any one who tried running at the first sight of trouble would no longer get invited to groups.
yes of course there were. but that wasn't the majority. the majority had no clue.

are you telling me that in the first year of everquest that everyone was playing with a skill cap of 2 DECADES of knowledge? i'm sorry but that is laughable if you think that is true.

i would be interested to hear what you think about the following:

Quote:
how many shamans did you see soloing frenzy, lord etc in classic? not many. how many do you see now? plenty. shaman is known as one of the strongest solo classes. it sure as shit wasn't back in the day. what's your explanation ?
Last edited by nicemace; 11-16-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Planar Protector

So now you're moving the goalposts from "casters reacted badly to getting aggro all the time" to "no one was playing at the same "sKiLL CaP"? Whatever dude, the majority HERE have no clue either, we aren't using some dumbfuck level 30 as our baseline in the discussion. The comparisions are competent chanters then and now, and your initial assertion that "casters would just run around if they got hit instead of reacting intelligently" was fucking dumb as shit. Good day.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Sarnak

wut?

my point is that the majority of players were bad at the game in 1999. this hasn't changed. you can look at general players actions back then vs general players now. the skill cap has improved based on 2 DECADES of knowledge. show me where i am wrong.

there were exceptional players back then that used their full toolkits available to their characters but you didn't really hear or see it because THE MAJORITY (who were bad) just focused on the basic stuff.

my point hasn't changed.

also, please see above re: shaman.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

There were 100 times more people playing back then. The majority on any given server was bad but every class had forums where they discussed the classes high end strats. All those chanters serverwide trying to break the game and find advantages and none of them ever considered trying to lean heavily on the charm line. Sure. And they all "ran around as soon as they got hit" too because it takes twenty years of experience to learn not to do that.
Closed Thread