Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 01:45 AM
Planar Protector

All the good stuff they told us we'd get from everquest next. Like dynamic spawns that change depending on how players kill npcs. Player made content.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am looking for classic EQ.
You can't have it though, Pandora's Box is open, you already played and memorized the entire game. You have an entire encyclopedia of EQ information on the wiki.

The "classic" experience we all pine for is the lack of knowledge about the game. The original magic of everquest was exploration and learning.

You cannot have a classic experience when you know what mobs to kill at what level and what mobs drop what gear, how to best min/max your class etc.

a "classic" everquest experience will never occur again, ever.

What we have to do is make another game, one that we cannot predict, log, record, memorize etc.
Last edited by Trexller; 11-29-2020 at 01:57 AM..
Old 11-29-2020, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All the good stuff they told us we'd get from everquest next. Like dynamic spawns that change depending on how players kill npcs. Player made content.
I didn't recognize the combat in EQ Next until I seen console games like Spiderman. Had the lion bouncing and around and attacking large groups of mobs.

Are we doing EQ or something else?
Old 11-29-2020, 02:03 AM
Planar Protector

Its EQ3.

This thread could change or define the rest of our lives.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:07 AM
Banned

Many of us where hoping EQ2 was going to be what I was talking about. Classic EQ, updated graphics, restarted.

I like this game world. I want more of the classic experience that modern tech could provide and not a console focused job with a multiplatform design.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81
I can have what I can manage to work. I am looking for classic EQ world with updated graphics. I would be open to making the world connect better like Jibartik was working on. Expand the old world for the launch. More dungeons and adventure area that are classic. Of course there will be some changes to items and lessons learned.

All I am looking for is a true update to the game I love with the chance for a better future post velious.

I want to see a true PC game engine for it and not Unreal or Unity. I never did find out what the original engine was called.

I like this. I want more of this.
https://www.mmorpg.com/general-artic...sic-2000093084

Can't find a name for the engine but it sounds like they just sorta cobbled one together from Tanarus and other stuff they had laying around.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://www.mmorpg.com/general-artic...sic-2000093084

Can't find a name for the engine but it sounds like they just sorta cobbled one together from Tanarus and other stuff they had laying around.
Dude that's awesome, thank you.

Quote:
Due to the scale and ambition of EverQuest, Internet connection had been a long-term issue.
When the project was started, the team had inherited code from Tanarus (Smedley's online tank shooter)
but it needed to be adapted from the use of just hundreds simultaneously, to thousands.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake81; 11-29-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Old 11-29-2020, 02:55 AM
Banned

BIG BAD BOSSES!!!!!

*They hunt YOU!"
Old 11-29-2020, 07:15 AM
Planar Protector

No boxing or at the very least, build into the game rewards to players who don't box. Having every player you encounter be an actual player at the keyboard is what made the original as well as this server fun. Having to group up with other people to accomplish things is what makes it fun.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Planar Protector

- Make boxing, warping and generally cheating IMPRACTICAL

- I strongly doubt Borderland-type loot (RNG-generated items) is a good thing. Nobody knows any Borderland item - they are meaningless bunch of stats that barely make sense. Everyone knows what a Ragebringer, a Crown of Rile or a Weighted Axe are.

- I doubt that randomizing a lot of stuff is a good thing - the predictability of EQ might actually be part of what we like about it. Some randomization could be added though. Not allowing a "wiki" to be constructed may or may not be a good thing. Periodically adding new content (that doesn't make previous content obsolete like EQ live did), would probably be a good compromise.

- Better Mob AI would certainly be good.

- More zone dynamism - good

- More classes/hybrids - good. We don't have it here as we're sticking to "classic" but how cool would it be to have a war/enc hybrid? Or rog/shaman? Or completely new classes with new abilities... that would have to be invented.

- Design with PvE AND PvP in mind. PvP adds an extra dimension that would be a shame to pass on.

- Design defensively with cheaters in mind - we now have 20 more years of anti-cheat experience.

- Design with mudflation as one of the major challenges in mind.

- Keep what we like about EQ:
o legacy items
o clickies
o nodrop / lore / norent mechanism
o sandbox NPC's - no rail-guided crap
o zoning
o aggro as we know it
o interdependance off classes
o higher risk / higher reward
o can solo or group but a lot of attractive stuff can't be soloed
o ...add to the list...
Closed Thread