Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

Default To all the people starting from scratch..

This is a thread to show new players that you can start from scratch perfectly fine, get levels, and earn your own keep along the way. Use this thread to share your experiences.

Level 1: Started with nothing but a guild tunic.
Level 3: Looted a cracked staff off a decaying skeleton in Nektulos Forest
Level 11: Looted two Dervish Cutthroat Rings in West Commonlands pug groups
Level 14: Looted a full set of Raw Hide Armor in Oasis Orc highway pug groups
Level 20s: Looted my full set of Bronze Armor at Fireplace in Unrest pug groups
Level 20s: Won a roll on a Crested Mistmoore Shield at pond in MM pug group
Level 30s: Quested my own Boots of Ro
Level 30s: Saved up enough pp selling vendor trash to buy a Ghoulbane for 400pp
Old 03-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I recently (1 week ago) came back to EQ after 7 or 8 years.

The hardest part is getting to your first couple of backpacks so you are not running to sell every few minutes. With 2 backpacks and Level 3, you should be able to comfortably solo trash mobs.

Knowing what loot to sell to players and what to keep for tradeskills will go a long way. A small sewing kit can fill in your armor and a few sharpening stones can improve those rusty weapons.

DE Shadowknight:

Level 1: Short sword and guild Tunic
Level 2: bought small sewing kit to start making armor. Also bought a 4 slot bag
Level 3: tarnished short sword, some patchwork armor and 2 backpacks
Level 5: bought fletching kit and made arrows and a basic bow
Level 7: Banded tunic with studded and patchwork, forged 2H sword (self made), full set of backpacks, a few +2 STR/INT/STA jewelry, loads of tradegoods, smithing 68; fletching 42; baking 37; tailoring 41 and 40pp in coin
Old 03-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

Excellent post. People who think they need lvl 60 druid buffs and free handouts to play this game should ask themselves why they are REALLY returning to play classic Everquest.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Orc

Human SK
Level 4: I got handed a set of banded and a 1handed piercer
Level 10: Looted a lot of vendor junk and saved up to buy Flayed Skin armor which is very very cheap for it's stats. Used sewing kit to train tailoring and convert pelts into armor which i sold to vendors or gave away. Gave away Banded armor I replaced since it was given to me.
Level 12: Randomly handed Argent Defender but can't really use efficiently until damage cap lifts at 20.
Level 19: Still using banded and flayed skin with the 1hp. Trying to find flayed Skin wrists and arms for sale. Have 88p saved now
Old 03-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Aviak

Half elf ranger I've only got to lvl 3 so far but the only thing I bought so far is a medicine bag and I feel like I'm doing pretty good for the time
Old 03-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

sticky this plz
Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Excellent post. People who think they need lvl 60 druid buffs and free handouts to play this game should ask themselves why they are REALLY returning to play classic Everquest.
Oh please, take your condescension elsewhere. As if your reason for playing p99 is somehow more righteous, more genuine than anothers?

To be honest with you I've been here for 2 years, have 2 characters lvl 40~, one of which I've retired and I have to say that almost every time I make a character some bored high level finds me and throws me some plat, some gear and some buffs (I never twink beyond crafting myself Banded armor. It's perfect cheap twink gear, no stats but the AC means you dont die at low level). I don't need it, I don't even really want it, but I don't ask for it and I get it anyway. People like giving a helping hand, it's one of the many facets of this game people enjoy (Don't believe me? go hang out near EC around level 10), so for you to sit here and act like anyone who gets any assistance from a higher level is shitting all over the eq experience.. Well sir, it just goes to show that you're an irredeemable moron.

That point aside, op is dead accurate. It's more than possible to make your way in the world receiving 0 help, it can just seem daunting at times at low level becuase nothing sells for much and your spell costs do add up fast. i find it useful to write down the things that sell for a larger amount of gold (venom was sacs sell for 4 gold, 3 of them = 1pp $$$$), while avoiding junk that sells for like 9c. And as everyone else has stated.. bags also make the process more bearable.

But dont just go for any bags, unless you're an Ogre an inventory full of 3lb bags will weigh you down more than any loot you acquire. As the lv3 ranger mentioned, always opt for medicine bags when you can. Same size/slottage as a backpack, 2.6 stones lighter.

The money really starts flowing late 20s early 30s though, when you start seeing fine steel drops, bronze armor and weapons, as well as bricks that sell for 15-50pp to merchants.

By this point it definitely helps to have weight reduction bags. I Highly recommend to EVERY noob to learn the Shralok Pack camp. On average you'll get 1x10 Giant Slow 25% Weight Redux bag that weighs less than a stone every hour. They say pending lore but I've had a couple characters with an inventory of 8 of them for well over a year. About level 15-18 I think it's possible to do this camp with a group, I would say wait til high 20s to attempt to solo (if you're a good soloer, as a mediocre/poor soloer wait til 30s maybe? I waited til mid 30s on my DE SK)

Beyond Shralok packs, there is a 30-35% drop off of a rare spawn in South karana that is balls easy to obtain, it's called a Lionhide Backpack. Then once you've reached your late 30s and are venturing into Lower Guk, the Bag of Sewn Evil Eye is easy to obtain, and the Light Burlap sack..

Between a shralok pack or 2, lionhide backpack, BoSEE and LBS by level 40, you should be good on bags; I even like to throw in a handmade backpack for bulk storage (cant beat 10 slots for light objects like gems or research regeants)
Last edited by Xer0; 03-16-2015 at 09:03 PM..
Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Aviak

I've started new on here, currently a 15 druid.

Mostly fresh start with no help, but I did get a little money helping someone sell. Pretty much in full patchwork with a store bought hammer and shield.

The biggest annoyance at the moment is mana regeneration -- it's painfully slow. Kill something, then alt-tab to browse the web a bit, while meditating. It's accurate to how it was, but a stark difference to regen and downtime in modern games.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:43 PM
Planar Protector

I didn't read one sentence, but the size of your post directly correlates with how mad you are.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Kobold

I'm pretty sure this post was in response to this thread...

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...=185423&page=7

which some have interpreted as the OP for that thread perhaps coming across a bit entitled....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a thread to show new players that you can start from scratch perfectly fine, get levels, and earn your own keep along the way. Use this thread to share your experiences.
So this response is in agreement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I emphasizes the important part there... for context. This response wasn't about judgeing use of said donations, it was about the expectation that you had to have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh please, take your condescension elsewhere. As if your reason for playing p99 is somehow more righteous, more genuine than anothers?

....and I have to say that almost every time I make a character some bored high level finds me and throws me some plat, some gear and some buffs (I never twink beyond crafting myself Banded armor. .......I don't need it, I don't even really want it, but I don't ask for it and I get it anyway. People like giving a helping hand, it's one of the many facets of this game people enjoy (Don't believe me? go hang out near EC around level 10), so for you to sit here and act like anyone who gets any assistance from a higher level is shitting all over the eq experience.. Well sir, it just goes to show that you're an irredeemable moron.

That point aside, op is dead accurate. .......
Context... kinda important.

So you blasted someone who's in agreement with the OP... whom you are also in agreement with.

... /sigh

Agreements... the worst kind of arguments to have.

Krey