Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 09:17 PM
Banned

Default Enchanter charm isn't classic, we all know this

It's getting kind of ridiculous and sad seeing this happen again. Enchanters were not this OP in classic. Charm happened in classic and it broke within 10 seconds most of the time and that is why no one ever used it in groups regularly until almost PoP area where AAs made charm viable.

Why do we continue to pretend enchanters charming mobs to the extent and ease we see on P99 is classic?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:30 PM
Kobold

I'm not disagreeing or saying your wrong, but you need to back up your claim with facts.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Sarnak

u got any evidence besides "we all know?" This isn't flippant -- I'm sure if you could find some good evidence to show charms hold too well here the staff would be happy to nerf it and drink salty chanter tears (including my own). But what we all "know" from 20 years ago doesn't mean crap, these forums are littered with threads where people swear up and down about things and are then proven wrong.
<Azure Guard>

Green
-Curare, Necromancer
Old 11-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Aviak

Charm breaks within 10 seconds a lot of the time now, too
Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 PM
Orc

I mean a good place to start would be look at the facts its current implementation are based on I guess.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is what you consider "facts" to back up your claims?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Fire Giant

I remember Enchanters doing impossible things in velious with charm. I never knew how they did it.. I just seen them soloing giants that nobody else could and not even some groups could handle.

Do not think it was that charm sucked back then more so most people did not understand the mechanics of it. Hell we all thought CHA was KING and -CHA was KING for undead charm (which would have been awesome if true)

Now we know.. level is king and mr is queen. Cha is a joke

I say this as a person who does not play an enchanter because of OP charm. I'd rather play a buffing messing enchanter that can take pee breaks when needed. So def am not bias.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kul69 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you know where we'd be if we took everything in the Ruins of Kunark Prima Strategy guide seriously? Let alone one player's opinion from 20 years ago.

It's evidence of someone's opinion, but have you got anything a bit more solid?

Further along in that article it recommends the use of theft of thought to remove an NPCs mana, but it doesn't say that doing this causes high threat levels. So from that, could I argue that ToT on P99 causes way too much aggro versus classic live servers? Surrreely they'd have mentioned it being a professional guide?

I could try, but I don't think I'd get anywhere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Planar Protector

It's absolutely not classic. But there is a large segment of the playerbase on P1999 who will argue otherwise just because Charm allows them to get away with a LOT of stuff solo, duo or in small groups that would otherwise be impossible. And since these people just want their pixels they don't care if charm is not classic. Many of these same people seem to believe that everyone who played in the classic era was a complete idiot who didn't know what any of the spells did. This is their explanation for why charm wasn't exploited to such a degree back then: that people simply didn't realize how powerful it was. Or that they didn't have enough +CHA gear to take advantage of it. This is, of course, completely asinine. Charm simply did NOT work nearly as well back then, and neither did the Lull/Calm line of spells. EQ was being played extremely heavily by many, many thousands of players back then. These are the players who figured out how to do EVERY QUEST in the game, including all the Epics. They were NOT idiots who didn't understand what they were doing. They knew damn well what Charm could and could not do. And they knew it was more trouble than it was worth, because back in the day that's how it was coded.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

Get some solid proof up and they'll change it I'm sure. My personal experience based on starting an enchanter in December 1999 on Prexus was one of wanting level 12 because another enchanter I met in Felwithe was telling me about charm and how good it was.

I got into the 20s, and found it easier to charm in groups because you could always rely on another mob being there whereas you could always run out of tiny daggers (1999/2000 logic). Plus it meant venturing to Highkeep to buy the spells.
Closed Thread