Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Brand New Potential Paladin

Hi everyone,

I am brand new, planning to start up this weekend. I have some minor experience with EQ playing with my grandfather back in 2001-2004 or so, but I have loved the game ever since and always wished there was a way to play it again, so here I am!

My favorite class is paladin, but I hear they are "the bottom of the barrel" and such things, due to XP penalty, bad dps, etc. It seems that they are very rare as well. I am ok with an XP penalty for myself, as I won't be in any hurry.

My main question is this: will playing a paladin make it so I can rarely/never get XP groups? I've heard there are some people who won't take paladins in their groups and things like that. I'm ok with not being in as much demand as a cleric or something, but I want to be able to group for XP.

Any feedback on this or general tips for paladins would be much appreciated. I can't wait to get started [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Planar Protector

It will be very hard to get groups as a paladin unless you are twinked. This is the same for any tank class. However, paladins can grab aggro easier with their spells when compared to a warrior. I would recommend a caster as a first time character since they don't rely on gear as much as melee's do. I would play what you want, but being a melee and a paladin will be a tough life.

Halloween 2015 event: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/23440971

PL service
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=313502
Old 09-25-2014, 01:17 AM
Orc

it's real tough starting from scratch as a melee, but not impossible, you gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:37 AM
Orc

Play whatever class you want to play. You can very much play a Paladin as your first class. My first class was an untwinked Ranger and I farmed every piece of gear I have.

Paladin gear is not expensive at all and it doesn't take much to be an effective tank. Use blinding light for aggro and remember your stuns and buffs.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:35 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BranRizzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's real tough starting from scratch as a melee, but not impossible, you gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep.
Cant just be any geek from the street
Old 09-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Fire Giant

Regulators! mount up
Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Kobold

I enjoy paladin as well, but ended up starting a druid to help support with money/tradeskill farming. I'm even planning to start a different paladin because it sounds fun, and I always loved the erudite robe and plate look. I'll be able to teleport soon, I'll give you a free ride and buffs if you catch me on. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Orc

If you don't start as the class you really want to be, you may never get that farming druid/mage/necro high enough before you burn out.

Start with your paladin. You'd be surprised how many offers of help you might get, or how it isn't as bad as it is claimed to be. Just try to sell everything you get. Bone chips, silk, belts, etc. You'll make enough for a green jade broadsword and some banded by 10, and you'll be rolling along!

Don't worry if groups don't take you. You're a good tank, just make healer friends and start your own groups!
Old 09-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Sarnak

Also with velious we should lose our exp penalty
Old 09-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't worry too much if you decide to play a pally. The most important thing a pally needs is the correct spells and you'll tank like a beast. Just start shouting 'Paladin LFG, Remember my Xp penalty is lower than that iksar monk in your group!'

It should take you very little effort to get a basic set of gear (banded mail, decent sword & shield). Farming bone chips or CB belts/pads (if you start on Faydwer). Often times bits of useful equipment are given away free (i usually hunt down noobs to give random droga/kaesora loot to after a farming session).

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Closed Thread