Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 01:34 PM
Sarnak

Iksar stands tall with ogres as a min-max race by Velious. Frontal stun immunity loses most of its luster in a raid environment where aggro can be cheesed, so I'd actually tend to argue that Iksar is truly the min-max Velious raid tank race. Even if FSI is a factor, you're only getting ~3% more aggro / damage from being immune to stun. As noted by Sakuragi's warrior guide...

"a quick back-of-the-envelope estimate shows the value of stun immunity: mobs get their secondary attack every 8 seconds, bash instead instead of kick 75% of the time, hit 50% of the time, and stun 50% of their hits. So if the mob isn't hasted you'll be spending roughly 2 seconds out of 40 (5%) of your time stunned. Depending on how fast your weapons are, that's some 2-3% of your threat and damage"

Is such a negligible boost to aggro / damage really worth giving up the AC boost / higher AC softcap that Iksar get? I don't think so. The notion that Ogre is min-max is old thinking that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny IMHO.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

Ogre

If good demeaner

Barbarian

If you wanna be less good

Iksar
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:42 PM
Aviak

1st. Ogre/Iksar
2nd. Troll
3rd. Dwarf
4th. Barbarian
5th. Halfling.

Are essentially the top five/six warrior races, obviously debatable on the order.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iksar stands tall with ogres as a min-max race by Velious. Frontal stun immunity loses most of its luster in a raid environment where aggro can be cheesed, so I'd actually tend to argue that Iksar is truly the min-max Velious raid tank race. Even if FSI is a factor, you're only getting ~3% more aggro / damage from being immune to stun. As noted by Sakuragi's warrior guide...

"a quick back-of-the-envelope estimate shows the value of stun immunity: mobs get their secondary attack every 8 seconds, bash instead instead of kick 75% of the time, hit 50% of the time, and stun 50% of their hits. So if the mob isn't hasted you'll be spending roughly 2 seconds out of 40 (5%) of your time stunned. Depending on how fast your weapons are, that's some 2-3% of your threat and damage"

Is such a negligible boost to aggro / damage really worth giving up the AC boost / higher AC softcap that Iksar get? I don't think so. The notion that Ogre is min-max is old thinking that doesn't really stand up to scrutiny IMHO.
The error of that is that if the bash timer is 8 seconds slowed with max level Turgurs (75% slow) it's one attempt every 32 seconds. What is the max iksar AC bonus at level 60? I have heard it's negligable, 30-40 points? For a warrior in ToV armor buffed that's anywhere from like 1200-1400 AC? Let's say the largest spread at 40 ac vs 1200 ac, it's a 3% bump over non-Iksars. Maybe noticable in a kunark seb king group but not tanking Vyemm via discipline.

I can buy the slight delay in white damage and melee aggro but if the attack button is depressed in theory the weapon proc rate is still being accounted for. Just as a slowed player finds their proc rate per swing increases (while still the same per minute). As weapon procs are a huge part of the warrior aggro dynamic (and clickies) I don't believe personally it's even as big of a deal. If you are an active sk puller avoiding bash interrupt of FD can make a difference, as in theory with a shaman if you are facetanking dragons for 15 mins and RNG deals you a very cold hand of luck....warriors are the least impacted by any class an ogre can pick.

Lastly (I promise!) while ranking warriors is expected (people love to justify) it's not practical. With a modicum of effort and very casual raiding your stam will be capped at 60. If you are not raiding with Chardok 2.0 items it's very likely it still will be at a loss of AC. While we all have our visual and racial perk preferences this is a situation where no serious guild at any serious level will favor a ogre over a gnome or halfling unless it's a weird encounter like Tunare that involves a wall of fat and some resistance to field goal punts from the lady.
Last edited by Snaggles; 12-07-2020 at 03:23 PM..
Old 12-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

The best thing the Iksar warrior has going for them is the tall race with slim waist. This makes them ideal for tanking Tunare, because of her knockback. It is very easy to stand behind the Iksar main tank for this event and prevent them from flying back. It’s near impossible to do with ogres, trolls, who are better at forming the wall/blocker for that Iksar main tank.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best thing the Iksar warrior has going for them is the tall race with slim waist. This makes them ideal for tanking Tunare, because of her knockback. It is very easy to stand behind the Iksar main tank for this event and prevent them from flying back. It’s near impossible to do with ogres, trolls, who are better at forming the wall/blocker for that Iksar main tank.
very interesting! but I don't think I'll ever kill Tunare again. I only seen/killed her once

which was very fun and exciting!

but I am playing on green atm

what warrior gear would they be able to use? doesn't seem to be a lot of options out

there

I might go iksar shadowknight now I think about it!
Old 12-07-2020, 05:05 PM
Banned

i regret not making my warrior a halfling
Old 12-07-2020, 08:13 PM
Planar Protector

Is that for style KJS?

OR EXP bonus/
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i regret not making my warrior a halfling
My halfling warrior on blue is a blast, probably more fun than my troll warrior, though bash is awesome below 55.

Hide and sneak are choice on a class with literally no abilities. My only gripe is I couldn't worship bristlebane.
Old 12-08-2020, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Halfling warrior can't worship bristle? Shame.
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread