Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Sarnak

Default Alcoholic Drinks...

While digging through old computer files, I found a file I kept that noted odd stats concerning my characters on Live (yes, I am weird like that). One section had the count total per different types of alcoholic drinks per character. Except for one of my characters, the rest were not brewers by any stretch; yet the sheer number of drinks each and every one of them consumed would have made them alcoholics! Then I began thinking if the classic period had the monsters dropping different and higher number of alcoholic drinks? Since I recreated my characters here, the total number of drinks found as treasure is nearly non-existent. Could it be possible that as the game became more popular, Verant or Sony reduced the number of readily available drinks to make it appear more "family friendly"? I am not familiar with the how Project 1999 began, but is there a possibility more drinks was a classic aspect not represented yet?

On a similar but different note, the following list copied from the "Unbrewable Drinks" Wiki page - does anybody know which drinks are actually consumable and which are just for quests? I removed "Ship in a Bottle" since that seem obvious.

Black Burrow Stout
Capt. Orlin's Spiced Ale
Clockwork Oil Stout
Crows Special Brew
Crow's Special Brew
Drom's Champagne
Dwarven Ale
Ernele's Champagne
Erud's Tonic
Feir'Dal Champagne
Flaming Clurg
Flaming Pungla
Freeport Stout
Frozen Toe Rum
Frothy Goblin Tonic
Gator Gulp Ale
Green Death Rum
Innoruuk's Kiss of Death
Lendel's Grand Lager
Lumberjack Pale Ale
Neriak Nectar
Ship in a Bottle
Tunare's Finest
Underfoot Triple Bock
Vastly Deep Ale

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

how did you track the data? did you go in a spreadsheet and mark every time a character of yours consumed alcohol?
Old 11-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Fire Giant

Generic alcohol dropped/still drops off low level humanoids.

Bolded below are drinks I've actually consumed on my rogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axlrose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Black Burrow Stout
Capt. Orlin's Spiced Ale

Clockwork Oil Stout
Crows Special Brew
Crow's Special Brew
Drom's Champagne
Dwarven Ale

Ernele's Champagne
Erud's Tonic
Feir'Dal Champagne
Flaming Clurg
Flaming Pungla
Freeport Stout
Frozen Toe Rum
Frothy Goblin Tonic
Gator Gulp Ale
Green Death Rum

Innoruuk's Kiss of Death
Lendel's Grand Lager
Lumberjack Pale Ale
Neriak Nectar
Ship in a Bottle
Tunare's Finest
Underfoot Triple Bock

Vastly Deep Ale
Old 11-24-2017, 02:30 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhucknasty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how did you track the data? did you go in a spreadsheet and mark every time a character of yours consumed alcohol?
Yes, I have a second computer next to me that runs an older version of Excel (especially since the computer itself is from around 1996 to 1997) and each and every time I would drink, I would alter the cell total.

As an example, my old Live shadow knight was in the middle 40 levels and consumed:

Ale = 25
Bog Juice = 33
Drom's Champagne = 25
Fish Wine = 26
Gnomish Spirits = 26
Kalish = 52
Mead = 29
Ol'Tujim's Fierce Brew = 30
Short Ale = 29
Short Beer = 31

and his maximum Brewing skill was only 6! Yes, I might have purchased some drinks or was offered some, but not to this degree. And my playing style is not to slam drinks in quick session until I stumbled around the screen! So that made me begin thinking if alcoholic drinks were more readily dropped as loot than currently.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRo2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Generic alcohol dropped/still drops off low level humanoids.

Bolded below are drinks I've actually consumed on my rogue.
Thank you for your list! Small experiments revealed that both Flaming Clurg and Flaming Pungla are consumable, though I believe the latter was not considered an alcoholic drink. Looking at their purchasing locations, all drinks with "various" locations except for possibly Feir'Dal Champagne appear drinkable. Some of the others are questionable.

It would have been nice of Verant to label something as an "Alcoholic Drink" versus "Quest Item" instead of leaving some of them blank.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 AM
Planar Protector

Alcohol consumption is something that the original dev team considered due to ESRB ratings. Tobacco/Smoking was also considered for the game, but was ultimately decided against because of the negative ESRB rating.

As for the reduction of alcohol in game, I never noticed it. I frequently see alcohol drop on p99 (at least in quantities that seem like live to my memory).
Closed Thread