Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Kobold

Lightbulb Chronicling the Adventures of a Pariah...

This idea came up sort of by accident, originating as a joke comment in response to a silly thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hereby nominate AkashicRecord as the potential best RP poster of 2017 for these fresh posts. keep em coming pls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you were to start a new thread with only your lore and perhaps even some screenshots I'd subscribe and even dare 5/5starz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have read all of your chapters so far, and found them highly entertaining and fun to read!

A much different style of writing compared to the others who have created RP-themed stories, which makes yours stand out to me.

I also like the way you style and format the actual text you wrote in, that was a really nice touch that added an element of substance that goes beyond just the well-written story.

I agree with the above, please create your own thread with this wonderful story and character!

You might find more people will read it that way, as you unfortunately attached your nice story within a thread I created. (Not that I mind, but you deserve more attention for your creation and some people may not even bother to see it as their personal feelings may hinder them from reading a thread I have created.)

So... I'm going to quote my existing material here and then pick up from where I left off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkashicRecord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
~~~
Saturday, June 21st, 3104, 8pm...

I'm hoping to fill a medicine bag (or two) with a specific woody vine that I've heard is called "Caapi" by the natives, and "the Vine of Death" by the local shamans. Another plant that I'm hoping to find is a particular psychotria plant with a fruit that could almost be mistaken for a commonly brewed bean. (I've seen very detailed visions of them recently while conducting a ceremony with other shamans, so I know that the stories are consistent, and correct.)

I'm currently toasting some bat wings outside of Qeynos, trying to stay downwind of the guards. Believe it or not, bat wings are kind of... dare I say it... tasty... if you can get past the little bits of occasional fur. Fortunately, I have much better things to eat, like this savory 'Rat Stew' that I picked up for almost no coin at all. I actually need the bat wings should I decide to cross Lake Rathetear. I'm a horrible swimmer. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I gave up my Polar Bear Skin cloak to a friend on the way out of Halas, trading for a piece of (used) banded armor instead. Can you believe that this new piece of gear saved my butt more than once already? The only current problem I have is, "how the hell am I going to get all the Gnoll blood out of the thing?" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This postal delivery should probably arrive a few days ahead of me...hopefully I'll make it to somewhere near the South Karana border (alive) by then... if not, and anyone spots a Barbarian corpse on the way through the Karanas, please bury it with a crude tombstone, and say something like:

SHE DIED FOR
A GOOD CAUSE

In closing, I must say that centaurs make exceptional postal delivery workers! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
~~~
Old 10-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Kobold

Post // AVIAK COURIER-POST //

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkashicRecord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
~~~
Saturday, June 28th, 3104, 11pm...

Well, one week later, and not only did I manage to make it to South Karana, I managed to find the best (and safest) place that you possibly could find...the highest point of the Aviak Village!

Krak Windchaser lent me the most exquisite, feathered shroud to sleep with. He tells me that it is made entirely from Quillmane's feathers, and that he killed that legendary Pegasus years ago, fashioning this priceless shroud by hand.

Krak and I shared a few stories by the fire inside his hut, and I broke out a rare bottle of authentic Blackburrow Kalish that I managed to loot from a Gnoll brewer a few weeks ago. (This stuff is amazing, and has hints of black currant, black licorice, Kiola, and even a mild sweet note, not unlike that Faydark mead I'd sampled once before; that one was brewed from pure Crushbone Honey, and was fantastic. Krak can barely stand up now, so you know it's good!) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I also traded Krak some of my excess reagents, since I had far too many Winter Berries and Frost Lichens. He'd never seen those before, but I told him to give some to the local medicine man. Krak also tried one of those toasted bat wings that I was mentioning, and said that it tasted like elephant jerky (apparently, that is made from the ears of the baby calves??) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Well, I should probably get to sleep soon since I need all the daylight I can to cross the lake and head into the mountains at first break...

This message is being sent by Aviak courier, by the way; I didn't even know that the Aviaks delivered post, but apparently there is a mutual deal between the centaurs and their (former) postal monopoly...they even run parcels!
~~~
Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Kobold

Post Freeport or Bust...

Quote:
~~~
Friday, July 4th, 3104, 3am...

{chirp chirp chirp click bite buzz blurp}

Right now, I'm hiding in some really nasty swamp...stuff...behind some incredibly odd trees. {{MY DAMN LEVITATE SPELL JUST WORE OFF AND RUINED MY FUR-LINED BOOTS}}

Damn.

Anyway, there are some Troll guards or sentries in the distance outside of what seems to be a home city. According to my somewhat outdated map, it should be Gukta, though I don't think they call it that anymore, and I'm not going to ask.

I'm already finding a lot of interesting plants to take back, but on a more dour note, I'm finding a lot more bugs and biting things than anything else. You don't see that crap around Halas... I'm going to hate coming back to this swamp...

Lake Rathetear was not nearly as bad as I thought. I didn't even get wet. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I can't forget to mention that Krak gave me a special Aviak charm to use in concert with Gate magic so that I can return back to the village at any time. His final word of advice was to 'never tell a centaur that they have a nice "ass,"' and he mumbled something like, "...nice knockers." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think (read: hope) I will make it to Freeport within the next few days. I can't imagine staying in the Ro desert for long, and I imagine that is going to be just downright unbearable. On another note, I've never seen an alligator before. Or a caiman. Or a puma. Or a sand giant. Or a spectre. Or a crypt mummy. Or a dune tarantula. Or an Ancient Cyclops... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm slipping this parchment in with the others in these Trolls' mail satchel. From what I can understand, I know that they are discussing a mail run or something in the morning. (It should be interesting to see if this actually gets delivered without being intercepted...) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
~~~
Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Kobold

Post At ease, soldier...

Quote:
~~~
July 5th, 3104, 8pm...

I seemed to have completely lost track of what day it was while I was mucking through that awful swamp...It's a completely different day posted here on the town message board. I guess I should mention that I finally made it in one piece! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I made amazing time across the desert, but I feel like a parched, desiccated husk; I think I ended up in East Commonlands by about 5pm, just in time to check in at the Freeport Militia building and see about getting a spot to sleep.

Brother Jentry was kind enough to help me find Armorer Dellin and check in. Typical soldiers, though; as I'm waiting for Dellin, I hear a bunch of wolf-whistling and whatnot coming from down the hallway of the barracks that I'd just walked down... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It looks like I just missed chow time by minutes, but I'm not complaining about the complimentary rations. Seems that the Freeport rats taste a bit less gamey...and I didn't know that Fire Beetles were actually edible... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Reverie is at 4:30am sharp, so I should get some much needed rest...
~~~
Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Kobold

Post One Meal Ticket

Quote:
~~~
July 6th, 3104, approximately 10:10pm...

I guess you could say that I had my first full day of real "work" with the Reserve Militia today.

Apparently, there is a huge project to reclaim the raw metals from Deathfist Orc picks, and then shipping sheets and billets of the processed material over to Kaladim and Ak'Anon. There is some sort of "Damascus steel" process that is supposed to produce some very high quality weapons and materials, but only the Gnomes and Dwarfs have the machines and raw strength to pull it off...

My Spirit Pouch magic came in pretty good here, I could fit four of those heavy picks in one pouch. Dellin and the corporal on-duty were amazed at how light they were after they were fully loaded. "Why, it's no heavier than a f*ckin* rat ear!" was one of the funnier comments, I must admit. That, and: "How do you make it levitate like that?" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

While I was making my first delivery of picks, Guard Colin got bit by a rattlesnake and almost died. He was lucky that I had some bandages and my medicine bag, because I seriously thought about leaving those in my foot locker. There was a Dark Elf necromancer nearby that watched the entire thing, and he didn't even bother to help... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Oh, I almost forgot... when I first arrived at the Toll Booth in West Commons, the guards almost attacked me! I'm pretty sure it had something to do with a scuffle over in E.C. on the way over...as I ran by the "tunnel" there, I heard some people /shout, "Kill her!" ...but I kind of ignored them. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(That's a far cry from my experience over near Grobb; the warriors there kept politely calling me "ma'am...")

Once I showed Guard Valon my Symbol of Discord, he immediately apologized and said on one knee, "Sir Lucan said you'd be coming..."
~~~
Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Kobold

Post At least Mammoth hide parchment is waterproof...

Quote:
~~~
July 7th, 3104, approximately 2:10am...

Here's to the second attempt at page two...this time on some mammoth hide parchment. (Guard Colin spilled a quarter bottle of Kalish all over the other one, and it's almost unreadable.)

I sort of got stuck pulling an "unofficial" graveyard shift here at the Toll Booth, partly because these two here are completely wasted. You see, I broke out the rest of that bottle of Kalish that I'd shared with Krak the other night...so now these two are passed out, and I'm here just waiting for sunrise...

Earlier:

"You spit in this?" Colin quipped. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"No." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(He takes a swig...)

"But a Gnoll probably did..." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"?!?!" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(He spits out the drink.)

...I go on to explain how the sweetest Kalish is made by Gnolls, and part of that reason is because of their saliva affecting the fermentation process.

"...No shit?"

"Nope, just spit..." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Do they have jesters in Halas, or only when you're around?"

I fashion an ornate piece from my medicine bag and crumble some dried leaf into it, topped with a dusting of a fine tan-colored powder, and offer it to Valon:

"I call this one my 'Krak' pipe..." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Come again?"

"...He gave it to me; Krak Windchaser."

(After a short silence, everyone erupts into laughter.)

~~~
Old 10-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Kobold

Post At ease, soldier...

Quote:
~~~
Thursday(?), August 5th, 3104, 11:20pm...

This entry is being written from a rather cozy, private room in West Commons, the reason being the giant //GRIFFIN WARNING// issued for E.C. before returning back to the barracks...

That said, there's something sort of...thrilling...about being able to fashion a directive "by Order of Royal Decree..." which forces "...the lawful and dutiful owner to relinquish full and total control of all properties, habitations, facilities, and to tender any or all possessions deemed necessary or suitable for purposes of quartering and the continued operational support of any or all battalion commanders, chiefs, officers, guards, and both ranked and unranked active or reserve militia members for a duration not to exceed the duly specified or previously agreed upon duration (as listed)..."

Naturally, we didn't have any resistance... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's hard to believe that it's been about a month already with the militia, I'm hoping to procure an advancement ahead of the original terms of enlistment. The pay is substandard, but the shelter and subsistence benefits more than make up for it.

Someone from the battalion got a glimpse of my Gnoll Fang Necklace and was curious, so I said that I used to dabble in hobby Veterinary Dentistry while in Blackburrow... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
~~~
Old 10-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Kobold

Post WANTED: Dead or... DEAD

Quote:
~~~
September 19th, 3104, approximately 9:30pm.

"Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

...those were the words that echoed inside my mind for the entire night.

"This looks really bad for the entire militia. You do know that, right?"

There wasn't much I could say, and there was still evidence of dried blood on my spear. I tried to explain the situation to the best of my ability.

"I was just sitting down and organizing my backpack under a torch. The next thing I knew, I had a knife to my neck..."

A human rogue had attacked me just hours prior, I had no choice but to kill her. The incident was completely unprovoked, but apparently the militia doesn't want too much blood on their hands right now, at least not when it comes from the tip of *my* spear...

Luckily, I didn't receive any demerits or unfair punishment; mostly just a few harsh words and a furlough for the next shift. You could say that I ultimately did pay for my murderous action, as I was essentially slain by a Griffin shortly afterward. I finally came to at the base of the Commons tunnel, but I could barely remember anything that had transpired.

Apparently, an icky, "scaled one" managed to find my lifeless corpse near an Orc encampment and dragged me to safety. I have no idea why he actually did this, but seeing that he appeared to practice necromancy, it wasn't nearly that shocking...

I've been reminiscing a bit about Everfrost and Halas lately; probably something to do with the explicit lack of snow and ice here. I've been hearing stories of Velious and Thurgadin, and to be painfully honest, I'm kind of jealous. I think I'd fit in nicely over there, but only time will tell, I imagine. For now, my work here is with the militia...
~~~

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(Receiving a verbal reprimand from Armorer Dellin for murdering a player in self-defense)
Old 10-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Kobold

Post H.M.S. Fish Scales...

Quote:
~~~
Friday, October 13th, 3104, 11:45p.m.

Apparently, Fur Lined Boots and fish entrails on a wet pier do not a good combination make...

I lost my footing, slipped, and fell straight into the ocean as the boat starting moving. Everyone just sat there, laughing, as the boat sailed away. I managed to tread water enough to grab ahold of a canoe and pull myself onto a low dock. I think I'm just going to curl up here in embarrassment until I dry off...

Now, I need to go explain why I have to take the next midnight ship out... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I guess that's what I get for being so awful at fishing. While I was fishing though, I couldn't help but overhear a story about a Darkwater Piranha that is rumored to swim the Nektulos Forest river... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
~~~

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(Fishing while waiting for the ship in East Freeport. Need a Rusty Dagger?)

~~~
Sunday, October 15th, 3104, 3a.m.

The Port Authority had some sort of issue with the ship's manifest, so it was delayed an entire day, but we finally made it. I'm setting up a camp here on the Sisters' island in the Ocean of Tears.

We are allowed 14 hours at port, so I'm having a look around until we cast off again. Some dwarves over the hill were kind enough to let me use their campfire and even their axe to cut some wood.

A Gnome asked me about Spirit of the Wolf magic while I was perusing the Sisters' wares, but he immediately seemed very hesitant after he caught a glimpse of my red Symbol of Discord... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
~~~
Old 10-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

Bravo! look forward to reading more, thank you.

***Dang, that means my thread originally titled, "Whips with wet sounds" will probably die now. Ah well, it's for a greater cause!
Closed Thread