Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think what a lot of unguilded people don't realize is that guilds are EQ's natural selfishness channeling mechanism. Everyone in a guild is selfish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Everyone joins the guild to get gear for their character. Sure they might become friends and do things to help each other outside of raids from time to time, but they don't go to raids for the "fun" or for the "community": they go for the DKP (raid points) and loot (purchased with those DKP).

That's the beauty of guilds: you get scores of people all working together for entirely selfish reasons, but the guild channels that selfishness to let everyone accomplish things they never could on their own.

Snyder43 was dead-on:

I can't speak for the other guilds, but Anon has only two fixed raid nights a week, plus some sporadic raiding other nights. If you can make time in your life to spend a few hours on just one of either Wednesday at 5pm PST/8pm EST (Plane of Sky night) or Friday same time (Hot night), then you can selfishly get yourself a suit of Dragon armor and/or some fun Sky gear ... while at the same time unselfishly helping everyone else.

Even if you only make it to just one raid a week, and don't raid at all the rest of the time, then when we do "epic fight nights" (which we do fairly often) I guarantee everyone will be more than happy to help you get your epic. And then of course after you get your epic you could always leave ... but I suspect you'll want other gear improvements after that, and what better way to get it than to stick around?
Good points. That's some food for though for me.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think what a lot of unguilded people don't realize is that guilds are EQ's natural selfishness channeling mechanism. Everyone in a guild is selfish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Everyone joins the guild to get gear for their character. Sure they might become friends and do things to help each other outside of raids from time to time, but they don't go to raids for the "fun" or for the "community": they go for the DKP (raid points) and loot (purchased with those DKP).
Everyone?

Not hardly. I haven't been in a guild which helped me obtain even a single item in at least a couple years now, and even before I always preferred obtaining most my stuff myself. I refuse to join a guild that uses any sort of DKP on general principle. EQ's not simply about pixels for some folks. Step back and take a breath, and don't let the pixel sickness claim you.

Cleric epic is unique. If you aren't in a guild you don't need it at all. If you're in a medium- to higher-end guild, most such guilds are eager to help cleric mains get the click stick. Main place where it's difficult is in lower-end guilds that cannot effectively contest Ragefire. In that kind of situation the best you can do is try to participate in some high-value cash camps and win some drops. Duo with an Enchanter is good advice that can reliably earn decent amounts of platinum relatively quickly.

Danth
Old 04-24-2019, 06:43 PM
Planar Protector

It's annoying advice but I'd probably start an alt to grind up. By your 30's with a monk or pet class you can farm FS. By your 40's you can kill hill giants. Having an alt is fun besides the farming benefit. There will be times you want to play but don't have time to group or can't find one; that's where the solo class comes in handy.

If not a farming type I would just keep leveling up. Eventually you will be in groups and win some rolls. Just have restraint on not buying silly weird crap you cannot resell. You will eventually have the liquidity for your sparkle hammer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 04-24-2019, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

What level are you anyways? My advice for making plat as a Cleric would be..... Old Sebilis
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone?

Not hardly. I haven't been in a guild which helped me obtain even a single item in at least a couple years now, and even before I always preferred obtaining most my stuff myself. I refuse to join a guild that uses any sort of DKP on general principle. EQ's not simply about pixels for some folks. Step back and take a breath, and don't let the pixel sickness claim you.
Ok I guess I should have qualified raid guild (ie. the type you need to do epic raid encounters). Obviously no one joins Dial a Port or family guilds for the phat lewtz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What level are you anyways? My advice for making plat as a Cleric would be..... Old Sebilis
Level 44 currently so I think I'm a bit away from seb.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

You have naltron's, cheal and /role... Just pray no one dies and wants a 90%+ rez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Level 44 currently so I think I'm a bit away from seb.
I've actually seen a few level 60 enchanters farming stuff with clerics in their 40s. It's not ideal for them, but it's better than no Complete Heal at all!
Old 04-26-2019, 04:08 PM
Sarnak

Sounds like I need to make some chanter friends
Old 04-26-2019, 11:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

This is so cynical and goes against everything I play MMOs for...it is also probably true for most guilds and most players.

I haven't joined another guild on p99 since Divinity left...and I'll tell you that most of the folks in that guild were not playing in it out of a drive for DKP.
Closed Thread