Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 06:05 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to EQ all together.

Hi, I have a strong curiosity to learn to play EQ. I do have a full time job and a family. It took me awhile to make an account on this forum to make this post. As I did not know the max level to the expansion question never playing the game.

I would love feedback as to what is the best starting class/race. And any help would be most greatly appreciated!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome to Project 1999!
I recommend starting with a druid, it can solo and group. Plus allows you to port around the world at higher level.

Check out the https://wiki.project1999.com
it has a ton of information about the server

good luck!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleback [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi, I have a strong curiosity to learn to play EQ. I do have a full time job and a family. It took me awhile to make an account on this forum to make this post. As I did not know the max level to the expansion question never playing the game.

I would love feedback as to what is the best starting class/race. And any help would be most greatly appreciated!
Depends on what you want to do and what you want to accomplish in the world of Norrath. Do you want to travel? Group with people? Be a valued member of community? Have uber-buffs! Be able to solo and group? Be able to just solo?

No matter what you choose though, you will suffer. Learn to enjoy it.

Cheer!!!
Old 11-01-2019, 12:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickleback [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Read this, especially the last section https://wiki.project1999.com/Choosin..._Playing_Style

Then check out some Beginner guides https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

For any classes you're interested in, there are lots of class-specific guides on that page so you can get a general idea of what it can do.

Having said that, play what appeals to you the most. If you like sneaking around and backstabbing people play the rogue. Don't listen to how easy or hard anything is because you have limited playtime and if you take a role you don't like you're going to be hating it down the line and you won't have the time to re-roll.

Don't ask for general advice, it'll make you mental. Ask stuff like, I like to group, but I want to solo too, and I would like to wear real armor, what's good for me?
Old 11-01-2019, 06:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Read this, especially the last section https://wiki.project1999.com/Choosin..._Playing_Style

Then check out some Beginner guides https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

For any classes you're interested in, there are lots of class-specific guides on that page so you can get a general idea of what it can do.

Having said that, play what appeals to you the most. If you like sneaking around and backstabbing people play the rogue. Don't listen to how easy or hard anything is because you have limited playtime and if you take a role you don't like you're going to be hating it down the line and you won't have the time to re-roll.

Don't ask for general advice, it'll make you mental. Ask stuff like, I like to group, but I want to solo too, and I would like to wear real armor, what's good for me?
OP: This is sound advice!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Banned

Druid is great because you learn a lot of the basic mechanics of the game (solo, grouping, healing, CC, charming, quadding, buffing, travel, etc). They are cheap to equip, as in, they don't need gear to be effective.

The upside to Druid is when you decide you want to play another class, you can port for money and/or power-level lowbies and use the funds to twink out your first alt at level 1.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Fire Giant

Completely agree with the above advice for druid. Taking one up to 20 on an account on its own is never a mistake. There's too much utility to turn down for quickly visiting places to buy / sell / bank from having initial self ports and having Tracking as well.
Old 11-05-2019, 12:10 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druid is great because you learn a lot of the basic mechanics of the game (solo, grouping, healing, CC, charming, quadding, buffing, travel, google street view etc). They are cheap to equip, as in, they don't need gear to be effective.

The upside to Druid is when you decide you want to play another class, you can port for money and/or power-level lowbies and use the funds to twink out your first alt at level 1.
Thanks for your answer. It helped me a lot.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:09 AM
Orc

If you're familiar with MMO's in general, then starting a druid isnt really neccessary. And if you know what types of roles you prefer in mmos, this page can help you pick a choice to stick with.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%...election_Guide
Old 11-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggbell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're familiar with MMO's in general, then starting a druid isnt really neccessary. And if you know what types of roles you prefer in mmos, this page can help you pick a choice to stick with.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%...election_Guide
This is a really good guide. Just be aware that when this guide assigns values to differences between classes, it isn't joking.

It's not like a modern MMO where one class might be "busier" than and that means one character is taking 30 actions a minute and the other is taking 45. The difference between a bard and a wizard is more like... 30 apm to 5 apm. The difference between a good soloer and a bad soloer isn't "well they both can solo regular mobs and do solo quests and exping, the bad soloer just can't kill raid bosses from the last xpac solo" like it is in some new MMOs. It's more like "the bad soloer needs to group to get above level 10." Etc.

Many classes in classic EQ also have a lot of nuance to them that is pretty hard to learn about on your own. You'll likely need help from experienced players or from good guides on the wiki or from watching other players' streams/videos to learn how to do some, I guess you can call them "advanced" techniques that tend to really be what makes any given class shine.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-05-2019 at 11:35 AM..
Closed Thread