Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 09-17-2023, 12:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On my enchanter if I don't blur off the mob after a recharm it doesn't stop chasing me. Rooted mobs that don't summon are obviously nothing to do deal with
I was mainly thinking grind groups (with a warrior), cliff golems with a sham duo or mage, AoW, etc. all situations where unrooted targets have an enchanter pet doing 3-4x the dps of the next highest thing yet charm breaks are not an issue. Assuming the charmer can control the break. The assist target doesn’t even chase momentarily.

In the case of the cliff golem scenario whether a necro using foreman or ench with say the astral projection it’s probably doing 5-8x the shaman or mage pet. Yet a break is no big deal and there is no way a level 45-48ish pet is taunting a 57 npc.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:00 PM
Fire Giant

Pet mechanics in groups are always funky
I still get summoned on breaks in small group stuff, like Royals and fungi camps. Usually don't have a proper tank in those scenarios though,just pets in Royals and usually a monk at fungi
Old 09-17-2023, 10:00 PM
Fire Giant

Hate transfer is definitely a solo thing, in groups aggro is different and like others have said funky. Heck the epic pet sometimes can pull aggro off players on certain mobs like ring war giants or shimmers in ToV.

Hardest mob I've soloed is probably Tserinna, but I'm usually very risk adverse solo.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 09-17-2023, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

I would never argue it doesnt exist. The misnomer of "all hate transfers to the caster" though, in my informal testing, is just not true.

Like "all stats will cap in Velious" some people like to make up bumper sticker slogans for a nuanced game. I'm probably beating the dead horse here but its just annoying to see it come up constantly.

Either way, pet summoning to grind is just bad. If you want to level fast the worst thing to do is to find something to kill that will require you to summon 3+ pets lol. If you're looking for a class to stunt kill stuff even if chain-summoning worked perfectly the mage would barely be a C-Grade solo artist. I say this with all the love in my heart for the mage; enjoy your limitations and your strengths.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:15 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep in mind that if all damage truly went to the owner of a pet on every charm break an enchanter would die. Even in a group or duo. A shaman wolf can keep the ench from being summoned.
This doesn't seem to happen to charmed pets for some reason. I have played a druid, enchanter, necro, and mage. Only the summoned pets seem to have their hate transferred to the caster. The charmed pets seem to wipe or generate minimal hate on charm breaks. I don't know why it works this way.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:07 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hate transfer is definitely a solo thing, in groups aggro is different and like others have said funky. Heck the epic pet sometimes can pull aggro off players on certain mobs like ring war giants or shimmers in ToV.

Hardest mob I've soloed is probably Tserinna, but I'm usually very risk adverse solo.
You solod tserinna on a mage? Did you record it? That's amazing
Old 09-18-2023, 06:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You solod tserinna on a mage? Did you record it? That's amazing
Thanks!

I should've, Im just lazy and never installed obs. I did have to use two items to do it, but I think with lucky bashes/stun it would be doable with just a root net charge to keep her pet locked down.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 09-19-2023, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Bad mage if you have a pet on a shimmer. You knew this already tho.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

The only time a pet can pull aggro off any player is if they are not in melee range. That's the great thing about pets...no aggro, max melee distance to avoid some AE's. They path around like drunks but once they are actually on a target they pay more attention to the task than 90% of warmbody raiders.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only time a pet can pull aggro off any player is if they are not in melee range. That's the great thing about pets...no aggro, max melee distance to avoid some AE's. They path around like drunks but once they are actually on a target they pay more attention to the task than 90% of warmbody raiders.
That's the thing though, the epic pet does pull off players in melee range. It's only on certain mobs, I've done it in HoT many times. I stopped even sending it on the glimmers(shimmers?) I can't remember which ones are which. It's also a problem on ring war phase 2 and phase 3 mobs, it can pull on them as well, have to pay attention or the pet will die.

Pets are excellent sources of extra dps, but that isn't the meta anymore with zerg guilds. It's possible to use them way more often on raids than people do currently, but that's a whole another can of worms.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>