Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 07-14-2023, 06:09 PM
Kobold

How can we get more traction on this. The aggro nerf really fubard us.
Old 07-27-2023, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

https://youtu.be/gqW42BFqVjo?t=1812

"Charm was always going to be powerful. If you're bumping into a group of say three orcs and you can take one of the orcs attacking you, stop him from attacking, and then cause him to attack something else, that is a huge shift in power. And that's why charm was very very limited on who got charm, just straight up. Charm was a very powerful effect and one of the signatures of the enchanter. And that's why it would also break somewhat randomly. And, you know, there were interesting things around how it was designed to try and combat how much you could rely on it and how good it was, and how much monsters would hate you after." - Geoffrey Zatkin
Last edited by Ennewi; 07-27-2023 at 09:47 AM..
Old 07-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20020116....topic&index=6

Quote:
nohsup
(12/28/01 9:56:35 pm)
Reply Re: Renux Question
I did Renux at 51 about with just my 60 Bard friend. Took a while, but in the end one of his guildies snared Renux with her druid twink. Let the bard agro kite like a long time lol. Grab another melee friend as long as u dont get much agro, and always evade when u can. If she lays a finger on you, say bye bye.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=700

Quote:
EverQuest icon
Sainy's Singing Dagger
LORE ITEM PLACEABLE
Slot: PRIMARY SECONDARY
Skill: 1H Piercing Atk Delay: 22
DMG: 7 Dmg Bonus: 31
This item is placeable in yards, guild yards, houses and guild halls.
Effect: Symphonic Harmony (Combat, Casting Time: Instant) at Level 20
WT: 1.2 Size: MEDIUM
Class: BRD
Race: ALL
Slot 1, Type 4 (Weapon: General)
Slot 2, Type 20 (Ornamentation)
Quote:
Oh yes, it works...
#Oct 01 2001 at 4:47 PMRating: Default
__DEL__1592250441948
70 posts
Fighting in Stonebrunt Mountains is wonderful, especially paired with a druid. ^_^; Only problem is I forgot about this sweet little proc (which saves my butt in groups) annnnnd the snared mobs instantly aggro'd on the druid. What I wanted to say was this: it's an AE effect, strangely. It may say one thing looks peaceful, but when fighting 4 cats, all 4 stuck to the druid the second my dagger went off.

Definately a must to live in groups. Stuff it in your bag and pull out something with a dmg proc if you are going to partner up with a caster / priest class.
Quote:
Broken
#May 27 2001 at 3:23 PMRating: Default
__DEL__1591749964221
89 posts
This weapon does not proc anything I don't think. According to spdat, this does

Cast on you: You feel at peace
Spell cast on somebody: Looks peaceful
Unknown: (negative) 100
None/None Wind Instrument Cast Time 3 Seconds
Quote:
So the proc does nothing so the proc % on the weapon is 0%
▲ Page top
RE: Broken
#Sep 16 2001 at 4:25 AMRating: Default
__DEL__1592756879279
71 posts
negative 100 means its lowering you on its aggro list by 100.. dunno how to put it into words, buts its negative, as in its lowering something... theres no defined word in the spdat database tfor aggro, so it comes up with unknown

https://web.archive.org/web/20050527...topic&index=84

Quote:
khalm
Minstrel
(8/22/04 2:11 pm)
Reply Re: Master of Disgust
we cant have our cake and eat it too. one of these days SoE is just going to change the way bard songs cause agro and we will be eating death after death because tanks wont be able to taunt a mob off us. then there will be a HUGE uproar from everyone complaining about not being able to pull anymore because the tanks cant taunt a mob off you due to the huge agro you generated from HoS/slow that was used to pull the mob to camp, or because we cast mez on a mob 12 times. mobs are hitting for 1500+ nowadays and they are going to hit a helluva lot harder in OoW. im still sporting my 9k HP buffed the last thing i need is a mob who resisted slow beating me down in 2 rounds because i am OOM from the first 10 mobs i pulled causing me to FM because they did not lose agro on me.

the last thing we need is to be broken in the high end game because a few people wanna tank LDoN content.

we arnt tanks... hence the no taunt button.
Elfise Pressleaf
65 Bard
Veeshan's Fury
Bristlebane
Quote:
khalm
Minstrel
(8/23/04 1:26 am)
Reply Re: Master of Disgust
yeah in a perfect world yes but this is Norrath and SoE wont let you have the best of both worlds. your either gonna have low agro or HUGE agro.

i read your post and you need to read it yourself. do you see chanters with a low agro tash and a high agro tash? no you dont and the reason is balance. we are not a tank class we never were a tank class and i have been playing since 99 so yes i remember when the agro was bad and i also remember everyone being pissed off about it .... that why it was fixed so we didnt have high agro caused by pulses of a song, so lets not take a step back to 4 years ago and start increasing bard agro.

get a tank or make a tank if you wanna do a group as a tank ... lord knows there are plenty of classes, Rng, Pal, Shd, Bst, War, Ber all that can and are a tank far better than us. hell even a necro makes a better tank than us with their taps.

we dont need to blur the lines between our class and every other class in EQ anymore than it already is because then more people will cry that we are over powered for another reason. lets fix and enhance our abilities now b4 we start swimming in the neighbors pool.

Elfise Pressleaf
65 Bard
Veeshan's Fury
Bristlebane
Last edited by Ennewi; 07-31-2023 at 10:54 AM..
Old 07-31-2023, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Symphonic Harmony weapons still bought/sold and wielded during Luclin, suggesting that the aggro-reducing proc was retained its value despite the associated ratios.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020415...il.php?id=1110

Quote:
Chanson Liedersong
Bard

Characteristics
Race Half Elf
Level 58
Server Bertoxxulous
Sex Female
Time Zone Eastern
Diety Erollisi Marr
Played Time
Guild Lost Boys

Equipment
Earring 1 Orc Fang Earring
Earring 2 Orc Fang Earring
Neck
Face Mask of Deception
Head Melodic Helm
Finger 1 Jagged Band
Finger 2 Jagged Band
Wrist 1 Singing Steel Bracer
Wrist 2 Resonant Bracer
Hands Singing Steel Gaunts
Arms Resonant Vambraces
Shoulders Bloodstained Mantle
Chest Lambent Breast Plate
Back Spider Fur Cloak
Waist
Legs Melodic Greaves
Feet Resonant Boots
Weapon Sionache's Partisan
Weapon/Shield Symphonic Sabre
Ranged
Ammo

Last Update March 28, 2002, 7:10 am CST

https://web.archive.org/web/20021105...il.php?id=1401

Quote:
BoldHymn Roaringsong
Bard

Characteristics
Race Vah Shir
Level 43
Server Bertoxxulous
Sex Male
Time Zone Eastern
Diety Agnostic
Played Time
Guild Red Sky

Equipment
Earring 1
Earring 2
Neck Spider Fur Collar
Face Mask of the deceiver
Head Lambent helm
Finger 1 5Dex/7Cha
Finger 2 Overseer's Signet
Wrist 1 Lambent Bracer
Wrist 2 Ry'Gorr Bracer
Hands Singing steel Gauntlets
Arms Lembent
Shoulders
Chest Lambent BP
Back
Waist Sludged Girdle
Legs Lambent
Feet Lambent
Weapon symphonic sabre/ Centi LS
Weapon/Shield Journeymans stick/Sinche's partisian
Ranged
Ammo

Last Update September 16, 2002, 1:02 pm CDT

https://web.archive.org/web/20020208...ID=19327.topic

Quote:
kingwhip
Veteran
(1/28/02 12:27:18 pm)
Reply Re: Bags
Ram, did you ever do that trade for the Symphonic Sabre? I would trade one for 2 bags, plus I would throw in 500pp. Sound good?

Wherez

https://web.archive.org/web/20020131...how&IID=133293

Quote:
Symphonic Saber [1H Slash] [Report Bad Information]
[Magical Item] [Lore] [Subscribe to this document]

Average Value: [8333.33pp] (See Details) (Submit Price)
Damage: 11 Delay: 23 Ratio: 2.09 Range: - Weight: 4.5
Zone: Chardok Beast: A Chokidai Mangler

A rare weapon found in Kunark
Effect: Symphonic Harmnoy
Adds +10 cha +5 int
Quote:
Submited by: pimp , from terrew m On: 3/14/2001 4:39:15 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
if u think this si a good weapon u need to tie ur shoes u are trippin to muc, its a POs garbage crapy ass sword, its a ghetto wanna be CSS, only reason i would use it...if i wasnt using my breath of harmony , is becuase of the proc, an evade, or "tuant off"

https://web.archive.org/web/20010917...how&IID=233637

Quote:
Sainy's Singing Dagger [1H Piercing] [Report Bad Information]
[Magical Item] [Lore] [Subscribe to this document]

Average Value: [2000pp] (See Details) (Submit Price)
Damage: 7 Delay: 22 Ratio: 3.14 Range: - Weight: 1.2
Zone: Temple of Droga

Found in the Temple of Draga
Effect: Symphonic Harmony
Quote:
Submited by: Callron 39 lvl bard On: 2/17/2001 1:00:18 AM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
This is great to right people , in a party when it procs takes agroe off bard singing dont mock it till ya try it . Not braggin it works well for my style , I dont have to do super damage in a group, just sing and survive this will help for people with open minds. Cant talk if ya dont walk
and i tried most .Symphonic sabre has same proc and its oober in my opinion ,so this is great for non oober budgets WTG verant outsmarted the smart
mouths but maybe im only one who looks at this in
this way
Quote:
Submited by: Syc On: 2/2/2001 11:54:20 AM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
I bought this weapon cheap, and I must say I love it. It clears you off the hate list of the targeted mob. It really works well if you play songs that piss them off, such as charm or mez songs. One proc and the target switches to someone else (make sure you have tanks in your group). Very helpful. Also weapon procs a lot and I haven't seen one single resist yet.
Mention of songs still generating high aggro as late as mid 2003, before what seems to have been a quiet nerf with LDoN's release in September of 2003 or in the months that followed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041010...tml?item=11706

Quote:
few notes on bard aggro Reply...
Posted @ Fri, Jun 20th 12:34 AM 2003
By: buvasthebard
4 posts
Score: Decent [3.00]
As a 57 bard, I can say that while we will never be #1 in either aggro or dps, we are up there. Yes, our melee dps sucks due to lack of dual wield. Yes, because of this our melee aggro sucks. However, as I found out tanking around the castle in PoD (now there was a challenge for a guy with <1k ac and 2.2k hp), we can generate hella aggro with the right songs, and these same songs put me over 100 dps, which is ungodly for a bard if he wants to live in most groups :P. If I was slowing and bardnuking I could hold aggro pretty well. I wasnt the best tank, but we didnt wipe ever and I held aggro for most of the fights.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks again Ennewi for finding all of this seemingly conclusive evidence that bard agro was one of the classes strong suites from classic to velious. my hope is that the nerd gets adjusted. pras
Old 08-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Planar Protector

Default WTB aLovingRobot Lawrence Poe interview

https://dbsanfte.github.io/eq-archiv...tml/25522.html

Quote:
Message ID: 25522
Date: Thu Oct 25 16:41:44 BST 2001
Author: Daniel Sniderman
Subject: From my Guild's board Forum

Actually Slyde, I spoke to Lawrence Poe at the Fan Faire and his reason for
not having any of the new bard songs or 'disciplines' in the SPDAT and
related files was something along the lines of,

"Bard songs are harder to code and generally take alot more internal
balancing
before they are released to test. I wish I had something to put in
the SPDAT so you gyuys could look at it, but right now I don't. Sorry."

Actually, that's VERY close to what he said in regards t new bard
songs/disciplines. He's a super nice guy. Bit soft spoken though.

Additionally, I spoke with him about the problems with Selos and Drums of
the Beast. Oddly enough, he was unaware of the wrap-around problem with our
speed and wrote it down.

Overall, great guy. He took alot of notes too.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020210...leid=685705173

Quote:
02/05/2002 05:20 PM CST
Quoth the Caster, "Nevermore!"
The Verant employee who impressed us the most at the Minneapolis FanFaire was, without question, Lawrence Poe. This guy was cool, smart, and obviously knew his job incredibly well. He could rattle off spell facts and answer player questions like it was second nature to him. He has been a great asset to caster classes in EverQuest.

The problem is, he's not EverQuest's spell guru anymore.

No, he hasn't left Verant. But according to Graffe's Wizard Compilation, he has moved on to another project:

It turns out that he will still be working for Verant on an unannounced project doing gameplay systems and mechanics. He seems to be really happy and excited. (before the e-mails start: yes, I asked him about the unannounced project and he didn't share any info.)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/lawrencepoe

Quote:
Lawrence Poe

Game Designer
Sony Online Entertainment
2000 - 2003

Which explains the eventual decision to...

https://web.archive.org/web/20050119...ID=46680#47516

Quote:
Steppy is not online. Last active: 1/18/2005 8:03:48 PM Steppy
Forum Moderator
Total Posts: 1682

Re: BoC.....-does- it work for us?
Posted: Jun 17 04 5:15 PM
The devs have said that they did not code specific effects as bard effects for purposes of hate generation. ALL effects cast by a bard, song, proc, right-click or whatever

have reduced agro simply because of the class we are -- this was the easy way to code it and it is no surprise Sony took that way out. I think this came up about two or

three Fan Faires ago
when a dev admitted they took the easy way out on bard agro coding.
Steppy Astravox
Code of Silence
Luclin Server
Old 09-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20030927...icID=108.topic

Quote:
Yurtrus Dywrnach
(4/11/01 1:38 am)
Reply Re: Bard equip question...
Why do you want a proc? Hell my bard gets enough agro just singing and whacking the mob at 20th lvl.

if you really feel the need for a proc might I suggest a pair of Obsidian shards? 6/23 with a 30 point proc which begins at 18th level I believe. Shards are rare but go for 250-300pp and can be camped by a group of people in there 20's good exp in sola.

Yurt
Quote:
HadrienLNS
(4/23/01 8:48 pm)
Reply Ouch, Proc BAD! <sweeping arm motion>
I swore off procing weapons as a bard a LONG time ago. It's like adding a new garish color to your already luminous "Beat the Hell out of ME" sign. You are gonna find that monsters like you enough as is. If yer weapon is gonna proc something, make it a DoT or a buff. PGTs are pretty cool, since your Dex is likely to be high and your hitpoints low. 300dmg absorption at your level rocks. I've almost thought about buying one myself sometimes.

Bards don't hit things very well. Too many bards don't realize this. I honestly can't imagine why so many bards insist on it. If you played a Cleric, you'd have a big ass mace, but how many of them do you see bashing heads in? Remember, just because you CAN use something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Instead of blowing 5K on a Sionachies Partisan(or whatever), save up and buy some better armor, or a magical instrument.

It actually amazes me that Bard weapons still sell for as much as they do. I guess they all go to twinkers who will shelve their bards in 2 months (so THAT'S where all the SS BPs are, lol).

https://web.archive.org/web/20020826...art=41&stop=60

Quote:
Aaoogaa
(7/29/02 5:19:30 pm)
Reply Re: RE:
I have grouped with bards and I have never seen a better class when played correctly. Karnors WL room. 58 level bard was main tank, crowd control, healer, and puller. It was almost comical at the ease the bard had control of the room.

I have seen bards kiting 20 mobs effectivly.

Everyone wants a bard in an AE group. If ya don't your sorta silly.

Its true you only need one or two bards on a raid, but then how many shamen do you need on a raid?

I have played a bard and enjoyed my time as one but the class is just not for me. I know many bards out there that LOVE their class and its abilities. To many people play bards bad or without combining their abilities (this includes me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ). I think I have only met 2 people that actually play the class to its full potential.
Officer Synergy Collective 53rd Circle Reaver Click to see me stuff!
Old 09-07-2023, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20001109...ML/023416.html

Quote:
Grimstaff
Station Member posted 10-15-2000 06:09 PM
I hate bumps, if you can't think of anything significant to move the dialog along, then that thread is better off dying and being buried in the mass of other messages.
That said, I really do wish Verant would take a good look WITH AN ACTUAL BARD CHARACTER at how incredibly poorly lullaby works. Not past level 30, but when you get it and immediately after. This thing isn't so much resisted then, although it usually won't work on some of the targets, it just holds so poorly that you will end up with 25-30% of the monsters at random beating on you. The worst part is that its not usually the same guy, its a mix of them, first is joe, than bob, then al, then bob again, then joe.... good luck for the poor tanks to taunt off you then.

https://web.archive.org/web/20021213...&pg=1&sortby=4

Quote:
Submited by: Druxinor On: 8/22/2001 10:54:17 PM Rank: worst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 best
I play a lev 21 bard.
do bards suck?
only if an idiot is playing one..
and im not an idiot.
I recently dueled a friend of mine(to the death) three times... I was a lev 21 bard and he was a lev 20 warior... I beat him 2 of the 3 times...
I went toe to toe with a war and won...

bards dont suck.... ignorant fools suck...

Bards arent easy to play well...
but they are in the top 5 classes when they are.
Want to take the easy path? Be a mindless tank...
type /a and just sit back... Frankly, I prefer being able to heal myself and others, restore peoples mana, and give a 15% to 20% haste to the group... I've saved countless friend's lives by taking the atention of the mob away from an ally (bleeding to death) throw on my healing song... (extra taunt factor) and keep him from having a corpse run. does this allways work? no. are they gratefull when it works? yes.
for those of you that still dont understand...
were not ment to be the tank, healer, buff person, or the enchanter... though if the tank needs to pull back for a little bit to heal, we can take his place. Cleric got killed and everybody has low hp during downtime? throw on hymn of restoration, and watch the group be ready for battle in notime. tanks want alittle extra oomph in their swings? throw on anthem de arms.
chanter's mez break and he's oom? we can handle that too...
a bard is a jack of all trades, master of none.
dont expect us to tank as well as a lev 60 war or heal like a 60 cleric... we can't... we fill in the gaps in the group.
so stop ragging on bards....
we could ragg the same or worse on wariors, pally's, sk's, etc

so please shut your mouth berore you put your OTHER foot in tour mouth too.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010222.../000665-4.html

Quote:
Digory
Station Member posted 02-20-2001 06:51 AM
I'm tired of the people who want bards to be and enchanter/warrior. That sounds boring to me. I like the tremendous flexibility I have as a bard. I get to adjust to both group classes and skills.
I heard Absor say defense would be improved. I don't particularly need much better melee skills. There is always someone to dish the damage, but bards take damage like little kids. Bards playing instruments or meleeing could use some defensive enhancements. Start dodge and parry earlier and give them much higher caps. It's not that hard to parry with an instrument. I have been a fencer and you'd be surprised how simple a weapon can be used to block any kind of blow. And many of our songs are major taunts.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010222.../000665-3.html

Quote:
SIRANUI-ToD
Station Member posted 02-19-2001 02:11 AM

I'm sorry, Absor; I do not find this a very good list for the following reasons. Are these the only issues to be addressed? What I'd like to see is a few comments about where you (VI) see the bard in your game and what you see as reasonable and not; a background for the bard class if you will. This will help steer us - at the moment we are a jack-of-all trades class and in many ways don't know what to comment on, except for existing bugs. Can we please have feedback on status items NOT on your list, and reasons for non-implimentation; that would make me a lot happier.
Predominatly, you're dealing with existing bugs, rather than sailing 'fresh' waters. Yes, we all would love bug fixes, but we'd also like enhances in line with other classes and the use of a little imagination on the development team's behalf, rather than just fixing existing code. You seem to be taking the path of least resistance. Fixing what was broken is not balancing.

Again, a few points that spring to mind:

1) Give us an icon for mana song. This will save us getting told 'play mana' at least once an hour and would be an across-the-board benifit.

2) Increase in defense cap makes no sense and seems to be a simple 'keep-em-happy' enhancement route to take. post 50 (when extra defence raises kick in), we do not have the need for it (we are non-taunters and do not tend to get hit much unless we're on CC). From a RP point of view, why should an entertainer have the same defense as a knight or highly trained warrior? Jumping back to thread 5, yes defence is hard to raise, but it does happen eventually, as higher XP demands give greater oppertunity at increase per level. Aggro list manipulation is a good way to get increases. Ask for mobs to be rooted - then either manipulate aggro to get hit (heck, I can taunt off a 59th ranger in this situation, much to his chargrin), or simply ask tanks to not taunt. I would rather be enhanced in another direction that makes sense.

3) A small (5%) haste song that stacks and does not require an instrument. This will make a bard more worth having in a group with a chanter or shammy or as part of a riad featuring an enchater epic. The current instrument required song is useless - that 5 or 10% increase for the others means that the mob isn't taking bard melee damage (pitiful, I know - but it is probably at least 5% of group output) and takes up a twist slot that could be used for something useful.

4) Faction. specifically that entertainers were traditionally viewed as 'neutral' and could be welcomed in any land. ie improved starting faction, improved faction song or modification to positive faction enhancements. I made a lengthly string of comments on this. Any chance of a little feedback? I think I was the only person to offer a point of view on this topic as it is not 'combat' orientated, but rather a utility issue. It makes sense, it fits with the class (I can think of nothing more fitting in fact) and is not unbalancing.

5) Something, anything for us melee-wise. As is, if the group has a 'chanter, or indeed often just a root-parker then at higher levels we are usually less wanted than any other melee, hybrid, or indeed pet class. On multi-group ops, every buff and debuff is handled by speciality classes (even if not in the same group), leaving healing and damage dealing as the main in-group activity. A little more ability inside groups at these levels would be nice and a small melee tweak would be an easy path. Pallies and SKs are defensive, rangers offensive and we really should be middle ground. Our damage output is very low. Although we have duel weild, we lack the double attack of others. SKs and Pallies both have the option of 2-handers (we do not, neither should we) to offset some of this problem. More to the point, SKs and pallies both get OBSCENE one-handers that any tank would kill for to offset their non-duel weild advantage. So we are offensivly the weakest melee, hybrid or pet class.
Defensivly (and we're talking tank-ability here), we lack a taunt key and the damage ability to attract a mob's attention (except lower levels where song taunt gives us aggro), making us undesired even defensivly.
A duel weild capped at 50, a slight offense increase, backstab capped at 50 or a high level 'bellow' would cheer us up no end.

Siranui
ToD
Torv
Forteymj@hotmail.com

https://web.archive.org/web/20010222.../000665-5.html

Quote:
Starling_Bane
Station Member posted 02-22-2001 06:45 AM
Ignore the trolling. Any bards who are as disgusted as I am with the bard issues (or lack of) addressed by the latest patch, please post your discontent. Reasoned arguement is obviously ignored, all we have left is complaint. Better still, vote with your feet & quit!
*Maybe* some of the bard problems raised will be addressed in a future patch, but, once again, the bards are left to last (probably to be overlooked yet again).

1) Increased defense cap.
Great for the lower level bards who have such a high aggro. Congratulations on this benefit, I don't begrudge you. From the point of view of a level 55 bard though, it's useless. I find it impossible to even generate any aggro at this level - I wish I could.

2) Level 20 bard song.
Time for politeness is at at an end. This is a bloody stupid move! OK, it's an easter egg for bards in their 20's (who don't really need it), but at the cost of upsetting the already-favoured enchanters even more. Next thing we will see is the level 20 mana song being nerfed or an enchanter spell introduced that makes it redundant. I suspect that this this was actually a move to reduce the number of bards soloing at this level, enticing them back into groups.

3) Denon's Desparate Dirge
Well, what can I say? The problem ISN'T the amount of damage, it's the fact that most bards can only sing it once per full mana bar, giving it a ridiculous re-cast time as the bard med skill is capped at *one*. It's redundant, it's useless.

This patch is truly pathetic for bards, given the improvements introduced for other classes. It's an insult.

Finally, those of you who don't like the post, troll all you like. I won't be visiting this board again. Playing text-only muds is more fun than playing the redundant EQ Troubador.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000520...ML/000831.html

Quote:
Midi
unregistered posted 03-01-2000 12:17 PM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Usualy the ones I group with play manasong (stacks with ours) non-stop. Other useful songs will be healing post fight to help the healers, or a restance song of the appropriate type, the DD bellow, or charm release something for taunt(you know how well that works =).
An exmaple from last, on sol b bats cave:
me (49, then 48, then 49 enc)
45 bard
44 clr
45 war

45 pal later a 45 rog
41 nec later a 43 dru

Basically our speed spell is way faster the the bard song so I was casting STLW. Even clerity is better too I believe. With the mana song you get back the huge mana to cast this 2x. On bard I cast augment. Becuase of the incredible speed bonus of STLW and the near constant fighting, sometimes the bard would sing some kind of +sta song or the cleric or druid castd their energy song.

Esentially the bard was giving us every drop of mana he could. For 2-3 hours we were pulling bats and lava beetles almost non-stop after the break in. With clarity and the manasong we had enough mana to keep up with these pulls. The poor cleric was overworked having med for every last drop of mana for heas he could get. We got 2 bubbles of exp in those 2-3 hours. It was the best exp rate gain I have had in several levels, and it was all due to the massive non-stop pulls. Without clarity and manasong there was no way we got have managed that.

Other good uses would be KK for air. God type raid for twistong resistance songs and limited the damage done to you.

Bards and enchanters can work very well together.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041129...ID=19747.topic

Quote:
Liquidated
Grumpy Moderator
(9/4/04 9:46 am)
Reply oh man
All I can say is the "vision" went to level 42 and stopped.... dead cold stopped. From skill ups to basic game play crap like even our songs going to 42... and then stopping.

Bards were missing basic abilities (lull and mez - remember the tree snake in qeynos?) and had issues with aggro unheard of. Bard gets aggro bard dies but well the closest place to bind in cazic thule was freeport and zoning on a more than minimum spec pc over a modem took 2+ mins. hey want a drum? well that's in north freeport... Good thing uber classes like necros and druids could bind ANYWHERE.

When kunark came out, entire classes changed roles.

Rangers became effective bards with no songs.... ok dps but insane aggro and no tankablility. A ranger NEEDED a cleric in group or nearby as the ranger was going to die over and over.
Quote:
Tamsin Dyresoul
Minstrel
(9/4/04 8:01 pm)
Reply Re: oh man
I'd have to go with Kareo here. I think even grumpy Liq would acknowledge the fun and exploration levels were so high back around Kunark era that we tended to overlook some of the nastier aspects such as binding issues, bard aggro(which was fixed later), and equipment issues (I'll summon some food and water now from my britches;b).

I mean, LGuk used to be like a friday night club where we all met up with friends and aquaintences to hang out.

When Kunark went live, I was on my necro. My namesake here on EZboard. I dropped my bard around level 23 late 1999, early 2000. To be blunt, I just couldn't figure out how to play him since the aggro issues were so bad and I had read twisting guides on the old websites. So I went Erudite necro and spent weeks in Tox forest. No Paineel, no real bank unless you wanted to risk death in Erudin, etc.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:58 AM
Planar Protector

https://web.archive.org/web/20041212...essage.id=3383

Quote:
EverQuest Live : Class Boards : The Bards Lounge : Bard Definition Discussion : What happened to the Dot Agro post?
Quote:
Re: What happened to the Dot Agro post?
Options
Archimede999
Journeyman

Viewed 268 times
2 ratings - 1.0 average

The post was in August, I think the 22nd, and it was regarding the stealth nerf of the july 14th patch.

Tremelo quickly stickied it, then took about 2 months to get a "I've e-mailed a dev about this".
Then about a month later we got news (if you can call it that) that the dev answered that he didn't
know anything about this, and that we would be kept updated. Then Tremelo quit as community rep, and
the post quickly vanished.

The dot aggro is still pretty much as bad as it was, the only difference is that with the new dots you feel
it less since it's more damage.

What happened is pretty simple. They took dot aggro away so that they could give us new AA's that we could
use to increase our aggro back to its original level. Unfortunately, as the nerf kicked in, we found out
about the new AA's on test, and cried foul. So to cover their tracks, Sony quickly deleted the new bard
aggro AA's and has been denying knowledge of the nerf since. The end.

'Stuce
12-07-2004 08:41 PM
Quote:
Options
Jarsh92
Journeyman

Server: The Tribunal
Viewed 248 times

I don't understand why Sony would do that? As the game developers they do have every right to lower the aggro on songs and gives us a way to get it back. Yeah that pretty much stinks, but at least we would have a way to get it back, which now we don't. I love it how they say we are the most powerful class, yet we always have 10 issues on our list and I have noticed some other classes are having trouble keeping 10 issues on thier lists. Yes I know we are powerful, but I don't think we are anywhere close to being the most powerful class. We will just keep doing what bards do best, adapt. Thats where our "real" power is.
12-09-2004 06:14 AM
Quote:
Options
Meresya
Journeyman

Viewed 217 times

For the most part I think the coding for bards is still pretty much spaghetti code, so SOE only enters into it when absolute necessary. Five months to just get a response regard missed notes. Close to the same on the dot agro nerf. No alteration of the AoE nerf (mobs trying to move TO the bard), and a host of others. Epic fixes were quests, not bard coding. The only thing to date for that time is auto twisting, which was done by a programmer, so the code is fresh, not meshed with hundreds and thousands of lines coded by only SOE knows hou many different people. I think it takes them months to sift thru the coding on any one aspect, with testing and whatnot. Only possible valid reason for no list item completion on anything code related. And melee issues won't be looked at to alter the imbalance of PoP's balancing because it can just be addressed in total later.

Just look at posting counts per day now. Compare it to when the board opened. Posting went from multiple times a day for people, down to probably once a week or bi-weekly. Bards discussed, argued, cursed out SOE, in a nutshell pretty much the whole gambit. Now we post when moved to, not for SOE but for other bards. Just like the preverbial horse, let it get its own bloody water. We've stop wasting our time trying to lead it.

Polara
12-10-2004 12:10 PM
Quote:
Options
Grumbuk-Dev
EQ Programmer

Server: Test
Viewed 234 times

I was the person who said I'd follow up on the DoT agro/hate (and coded /melody, fwiw). We had to change the way PBAE DoT's worked a while ago to prevent exploits, and one unfortunate side effect of the change was that hate generation from DoT's was affected. Basically, damage is a key source of how much NPCs will hate a player, and without the damage being applied, less hate is created. We tried a few things, but were met with various problems and then more pressing issues came up and this was left behind. I'll try to get some progress on this one soon.

Regards,
---------------------------

Eric Cosky - "Grumbuk"

Assistant Lead Programmer, EverQuest

12-10-2004 11:23 PM
Quote:
Options
weekly_ab_downage
Journeyman

Viewed 197 times

Somehow being promised progress on an issue thats over 4 months old doesnt fill me with enthusiasm or hope. Saying you had to nerf AE kiting because of an exploit is true, but only because you failed to fix the source of the exploit being macroing.
12-11-2004 02:45 AM
Quote:
Re: What happened to the Dot Agro post? [ Edited ]
Options
Grumbuk-Dev
EQ Programmer

Server: Test
Viewed 172 times

I'll try to answer what I can.

weekly_ab_downage, the issue about chant agro was something in the top 10 list. This doesn't mean anything will be changed because it's in the top 10 list. Being in the top 10 list means that it's the top 10 things players want to see done. We do our best to change the game so that these items happen, because we want players to be happy with the game, but being in the list that players provide us isn't a promise it will be implemented.
That said, I don't know what changed - if anything - related to chant kiting agro, but I can say that the changes that went in related to AA's should not have affected it. The only thing I can think of that might be a plausible explanation for code changes at that time affecting chant agro is perhaps the migration of AA's to a new system actually fixed a bug with Spell Casting Subtlety. It's not out of the question that it was bugged before, and perhaps isn't now. I can't think of anything else that might affect chant agro because as far as I know nobody made any changes directly to that song.

Thiberg, thanks for the clarification about it being more specific to chants. I think it's still a good idea to revisit the PBAE DoTs in order to give them the same amount of agro when the damage element is ignore due to movement, but that is a different issue as you point out.

Meresya, unfortunately there is a misunderstanding with what the top 10 lists are for. You describe the items in the top 10 as pending "fixes" when in fact they are things players would like changed because they think it would improve the game. They are in fact almost always feature requests with only an occasional legitimite bug. The designers may or may not agree with the changes, and when they don't, they aren't going to happen. That doesn't mean it's broken, it just means it's not what you think is how it should be. In my post above where I said "hate generation from DoT's was affected" I meant specifically, PBAE DoTs. This is because when the damage element is bypasses due to the PBAE changes, no damage related hate is generated for the PBAE dot. The change had no effect on any other song or spell, it was a very isolated and specific change. That is why I think it may be possible to identify how much hate would have been generated at that time and apply it to the hatelist - but it may not be as simple as that so I won't make any promises.
As for altering the PBAoE nerf, we spent as much time on it as we could trying to minimize the side effects of the change and unfortunately I doubt it will be changed much at this point. Anything is possible I suppose but using your example, for instance, of enabling damage if the NPC is moving away from the bard then the main problem we were trying to avoid (engaging and killing an unlimited number of NPCs with no mana cost) would again be possible. You'd just need to bring two bards (we definitely considered this possibility).
We are in a bind here because if we want the game to be rubber-band lag free with respect to player movement, then the player is going to continue to be able to do these kinds of exploits as long as the game mechanics allow for it to happen. This is because cheaters will use macros to move to exact positions at exact times and take advantage of this. Would I like to stop macro users? Absolutely, and we've spent literally hundreds of man-hours fixing exploits and have banned many, many accounts this past year alone. It's very important to us that the game is played fairly. Can we stop everything? No, and that's just a fact. But we do as much as we can and will continue to invest developer time making game systems more secure, less prone to abuse, and more robust in terms of identifying various ways people are cheating.
When the client is on someone's physical machine, we simply have to accept that people can and do have the ability to mess with the memory and generally do whatever they want with it. There is nothing we can do to prevent that. Even if we could scan and find cheater tools on a player's machine, it would just become a game of cat and mouse as hackers hid the tools from us in ways we wouldn't possibly be able to identify. It would be a pointless exercise. The solution here is to move as much as we can that matters onto the servers where the server is the authority for what happens, and provide as little information to the client as is neccessary to play the game so that snooping at memory is as useful as looking at your screen (This isn't news for anyone who is familiar with computer security issues). The server is already the authority for almost everything that matters in EverQuest except for movement, because moving movement authority to the server would require the introduction of an intolerable amount of lag & latency (there are a few other things too, to be clear, such as NPC info that is used for tracking). Some games have tried server-authority movement in the past and have almost universally changed to use the same client-side authority for movement because it's just not worth ruining everyone's experience just so that a few hackers can't warp around. There is still room for improvement though, and just this past week I was in a meeting discussing our options so it isn't something that is being ignored.
Stacking issues for the bard songs in raids seems like a worthwhile subject to explore. I know there are similar issues with enchanter mezzes stacking, but these are topics best suited for designers.

Regards,

(edit- minor typo)
Message Edited by Grumbuk-Dev on 12-11-2004 09:27 AM

---------------------------

Eric Cosky - "Grumbuk"

Assistant Lead Programmer, EverQuest

12-11-2004 09:25 AM
Quote:
Options
Archimede999
Journeyman

Viewed 139 times
2 ratings - 3.0 average

First of all it's not 1 song. There's about 14 chants now, and for all of them the same behavior is found. Pre
July 14th, bards get enough aggro from 2 chants and assonance so that a shammy casting slow won't get aggro. Post July 14th patch, Bard needs to have 3 dots + assonance for at least 2 ticks before shammy slows, or mob
bee lines for shammy.

Secondly, pre-july 14th patch we don't know of any new AA's Omens will bring us. Post-july 14th patch a new AA
appears on test, 3 ranks of aggro increase for bards. Bards quickly put 2 and 2 together, and realize we lost
all our dot aggro so that we could purchase it back in Omens
. We were very upset. Less than a week later the
aggro-generating AA's vanish from test.
We never hear from them again.

A lot of work has already been done for you. All you have to do is look at the code changes for the July 14th
patch, anything that relates to bards. It's hardly looking for a needle in a haystack. How about this, I'll
even do more work for you.

At the beginning of july, one of the most active threads on bard boards was how a bard is supposed to hold aggro. A lot of bards didn't know it was possible, so it was explained exactly how and why it was possible. One of the main arguments was the fact that a chant from a bard is 2 types of aggro, there's the direct aggro generated by the amount of damage dealt by the DoT, and there's indirect aggro generated by the debuff component of the DoT.

I have a strong feeling that the July 14th patch stealth nerf, basically killed any aggro generated by the
debuff component of a chant dot.

So all the work is done, all you need to do is go look at that code, and fix it!

'Stuce
12-11-2004 11:00 AM
Old 11-06-2023, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Bards were initially a chain-armor class until some point late in beta when it became apparent that aggro would remain an issue, necessitating access to platemail.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040828...cending&page=3

Quote:

Re: Bard's taunting
Options
kinuvann
Apprentice

Viewed 233 times

Well since they nerfed chant aggro we kind of need a way to taunt and hold aggro yes.

One thing tho, I see in this thread people keeping putting the fact we are a plate class foward:

During beta bards were a chain class but since songs had the same aggro than regular spells ( and we cast many more spells than casters) they switched us to plate to handle the beat down. Ironically it wasn't enough and after many bards bitched about getting owned in plane of fear/hate they added the bard aggro code which reduced all our songs to something like 1 point of aggro per cast ( including proc and discluding a few songs like runes/chant that bypass the code).

07-26-2004 11:26 AM

https://web.archive.org/web/20040222...html?item=4431

Quote:
hahahahahhahha Reply...
Posted @ Wed, Nov 19th 1:02 PM 2003
By: stephanavich
9 posts
Score: Default [1.55]
did the tizmaks meat in under an hour. they drop velium, so it's not all bad. went to bloodmaw, handed him the 4 meats, he despawned, but i didn't know he was supposed to despawn, so i freaked. i check the quest, doh, you just say "can i have the map please" (something like that) to the gnome, boom. easiest part to get.

i run to iceclad to scope out where stormfeather spawns. i sit there for 45 minutes, and bamn, he spawns directly on my head. that's luck. on the way to the dire wolves, a shaman is taking out lodi, i throw in some stabs, boom, i have that piece.

then to the dire wolves. i had a friendly guild bard agro as many as he could, then i would hydra my wizard and aoe them to death. after about 20 minutes, give or take, stalker spawns, i have that peice.

i get the book from the lost pirate (down on the shore, a stones throw from stormfeather spawn), combine. give it back to him, he hands me back other thing. at this point, a rabid cougar spawns. he was slightly harder than regular ones, but not a real challenge, he does aggro right away and only dropped a mq cougar pelt. give to captain nalot (he's in the igloos on the same island), and boom shakalaka, i have my mask.

as far as i can tell, it DOES not stack with other speed spells, but i haven't tested it with bard songs. this comboed with my ragebringer, i have constant 60% haste. i believe that is the fastest anyone has finished this quest. go me.

*point and laugh*

gimbley
52 rogue
saryn

Edited, Wed Nov 19 13:06:00 2003

https://web.archive.org/web/20020201...picID=47.topic

Quote:
Warnin Wraithlore
Administrator
(2/4/01 3:08:00 am)

LOL!
Came across this on someones sig on the message board. Thought the bards may get a kick out of it:

Description of a bard...."taunting-without-meaning-to, running-faster-then-anyone-has-a-right-to, 3 second-mezzing, charming-a-lizard-and-confusing-the-piss-out-of-the-poor-sk [WHICH damn sentinel did you charm?!?!?!?], lag-inducing, kickass-resistance-songs-till-they-aggro-the-dragon-and-die, sparkling songsters and lastly the ability to summon water out ouf your boots and food out of your pants."
Last edited by Ennewi; 11-06-2023 at 02:42 PM..