Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 09:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samadhi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have not followed Pantheon in a long time, but many of the graphics in it look worse than WoW or even old EQ2 graphics and the styles are reminiscent of the updated models of Luclin era. I remember the biggest changes were to Trolls and Ogres changing them from humorous, yet fearsome creatures, to simple brutes.

I still do not get why Brad made the game with Unity. Unity is so clunky. Regardless I am still not convinced the game will be released. I remember the kickstarter for it in 2004. IS it even in BETA 1 yet?
it doesnt look any better than the top 5 MMOs on the market right now.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samadhi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still do not get why Brad made the game with Unity.
Many games are made in Unity Engine, Unreal or Crytek.

zzz

Perhaps things have gotten so out of hand that devs are forced to use one because making your own is out of the question now. $50 million game & $85 million marketing.

edit: It's amazing that PC gaming even got off the ground without being able to show off new games on billboards and subways.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/shrug

You would think demos would be commonplace in digital download nirvana. It is, sort of. You play the unfinished early access game after paying to beta test it. If you only play a couple hours you can refund, so its free. Then you can wait a few years for it to release, after it does you can wait an additional year or two for the game to be patched and "complete" because that now entails the DLC. You can get it for a few bucks on a STEAM sale. It's an old mans market trying to appeal to a 16 year old.
Last edited by Mblake81; 10-25-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-26-2019, 03:06 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My complaint is that the models are not very fluid in their movement, whether when running around or swinging weapons or w/e. WoW models were much more fluid in 2004 than Pantheon is in 2019, and this really affects the feel of a game. Honestly it's hard to play EQ again after enjoying the smooth world of wow classic...
Reminds me of Vanguard. The models in that game were janky as fuck and were heavily ridiculed. Of course it was the same old tired excuse from the diehard Brad fans who would defend it saying "it's not ready yet give it time!" Can't tell if it's 2006 or 2019.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:05 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, the models aren't great, but not terrible either.

If they manage to release, I'll be more interested in the gameplay than the models anyway.

I paid $0 into this project cause I've been burned with things like early-access games in the past, so I'm 100% content to just wait and see. In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy p99 and other various PC and Playstation games.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:50 PM
Large Rat

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe giving small parts of games for free was a bad marketing mechanic.

It is more effective to give most of the game for free, but sell lots of desirable additional increments.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:30 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am surprised Vah-shir cat and Pepe froglok didn't make the cut, especially in this roflgame market with a splash of Mass Effect. Redditors will probably love it though, especially if they add in rage comic emotes and whatever the new trendy dance emotes are (for a nominal mtx fee)

I am waiting on the DLC that adds in hobbits carrying Halo: Combat Evolved shotguns.
The playable Froglok race is unironically one of the only efforts of artistic originality that came out of EQ1 during its first 5 years. Not a sentient frog race specifically (because that's been done before in fiction), but rather their design and look. Every prior playable race was artistically barebones mundane D&D public domain stuff that didn't stand out compared to the countless other High Fantasy RPG videogames at the time.

So at the very least kudos to Brad trying to make the choices on races more appealing. Even the gnomes look neat. And spoiler: they don't need to look like D&D 1st edition Gnomes. Neither do the Halfings need to look like JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth's Hobbits or how Dwarves in Elder Scrolls (which were ancient tinkering elves) need to be Middle Earth Dwarves.

And since you brought up science fiction games like Halo and Mass Effect, you know there's a parked flying alien saucer in Qeynos that is used for worshiping a grey alien that ascended to godhood right? So the idea of science fiction elements and extraterrestrials exist in your beloved classic EQ too. Just in case you tried to forget :^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
More excited for Rogean Nilbog eq1 custom content than Pantheon at this point
I don't think anyone's going to like it. I mean even if the community has some competent game designers to help out with it, it will nevertheless have to contend with the 20 years of rose tinted glasses of what every individual person would consider as a 'classic' alternative to the mainline route SoL and beyond.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 10-27-2019 at 04:37 AM..
Old 10-27-2019, 05:35 AM
Kobold

Default 1

Quote:
Yeah the classes are 100% the same as vanilla EQ. The races 3 of them are EXACTLY the same jsut different colors. Their halflings are NOT halflings. Their gnomes are NOT gnomes. Their ogres look more like simple brutes. And why so few races?
Varied interpretations of mythological and fictional creatures has existed since forever. There is no set in stone standard for these ideas especially in the realms of fantasy.
Last edited by Bisonzabi; 10-27-2019 at 05:37 AM..
Old 10-27-2019, 06:31 AM
Planar Protector

It's good to have some D&D/LOTR flavor with humans, elves, etc... but also good to introduce races that you'd only find in that game or created with only some loose inspiration.

I still hope it makes it but the timeline is just way too slow and they're not telling us much.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:13 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's good to have some D&D/LOTR flavor with humans, elves, etc... but also good to introduce races that you'd only find in that game or created with only some loose inspiration.

I still hope it makes it but the timeline is just way too slow and they're not telling us much.
Yeah I have no faith in it. Everytime I see an update on mmo.com I'm like "oh yeah, this game exists" Only a matter of time before the staff discover Brad's been licking toads again.
Closed Thread