Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 02:03 PM
Orc

Default Green server and "operating under legal permission"

I am interested in the Green Server, but I am concerned that the legal agreement outlined in the "operating under legal permission" link on the homepage is outdated. This agreement was reached during Sony ownership, not Daybreak. How can I be confident that I will not be wasting time playing on Green without a new agreement in place? I can envision the new owners of EverQuest catching wind of this new, non-sanctioned "TLP", and quickly nullifying any prior SOE agreement and shutting this down.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This agreement was reached during Sony ownership, not Daybreak
Incorrect: the agreement was made with Daybreak (ie. the current IP rights holder), not SOE. See http://wiki.project1999.com/Daybreak_Game_Company (there's even a link to the announcement on Daybreak's site there).

And as Rogean said in a post (and I'm paraphrasing here), while he can't reveal the terms of the contract ... he'd have to be pretty dumb to sign a contract Daybreak could just revoke for no reason whenever they felt like it.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Literally the first result on Google.

https://www.everquest.com/news/project-1999-daybreak
Old 10-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Orc

That was the agreement with the old daybreak, when Columbus Nova/Renova Group owned them. Now only Jason Epstein owns them. Same principal - how can I be confident Epstein won't shut this down when he catches wind? Also, that old agreement probably expired by now.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am interested in the Green Server, but I am concerned that the legal agreement outlined in the "operating under legal permission" link on the homepage is outdated. This agreement was reached during Sony ownership, not Daybreak. How can I be confident that I will not be wasting time playing on Green without a new agreement in place? I can envision the new owners of EverQuest catching wind of this new, non-sanctioned "TLP", and quickly nullifying any prior SOE agreement and shutting this down.
You have the intelligence of a kobald runt. Leave the philosophical thinking to the High Men of Norrath.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:12 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And as Rogean said in a post (and I'm paraphrasing here), while he can't reveal the terms of the contract ... he'd have to be pretty dumb to sign a contract Daybreak could just revoke for no reason whenever they felt like it.
I am sorry, but Rogean has no leg to stand on here. Back in 2015, things were a lot different. Epstein's lawyers could shut all this down in two seconds today and no one would bat an eye.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That was the agreement with the old daybreak, when Columbus Nova/Renova Group owned them. Now only Jason Epstein owns them. Same principal - how can I be confident Epstein won't shut this down when he catches wind? Also, that old agreement probably expired by now.
Legal contracts between entities don't "expire", unless it's written into the contrract. If company A has a contract with party B, and company C acquires company A, A's contract with B remains unchanged.

Now of course the details of said contract matter ... but we don't know those details. And of course there are always options: Daybreak's owner could dissolve the company, breaking the contract, then sell the IP rights to a new company. If that happened, yes this place could be taken down, and you'd have wasted your "time investment" (if you think of playing a video game that way).

Also a giant meteor could crash into earth tomorrow, and then your investment could also be lost!

Most people though would just enjoy the 100% free game that has lasted 10 years and (unlike virtually any other emulated game in existence) has legal protection from the IP owners. And quite frankly your somewhat crazy line of questioning is making me think most people here would be better off without you.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwondo Erudson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You have the intelligence of a kobald runt. Leave the philosophical thinking to the High Men of Norrath.
I like that you are enjoying some role-playing, but this is serious, and if you bury your head in the sand, you could get royally screwed out of many hours of your life.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

You're right don't play, tell anyone else you know not to bother either.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
royally screwed out of many hours of your life.
Jesus man, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to play a video game. Just get out of here if you're that emotionally tied to what you do in your free time.

Closed Thread