Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

I have started to venture out from my dorm and look for free wifi hotspots that I may visit if I need to zone a few times.

So far about 1/2 are having this issue. What is it about these wireless connections that make logging in to p99 a nightmare? This does not affect other games, not even EQLive.

And further, what has changed to cause this? It didn't used to be like this at all. Can I expect/hope for a fix?

Far as I can see the wireless won't be compatible with p99 unless its absolutely excellent, such as the ones maintained by internet cafes with 40+ terminals. Free wifi at restaurants/hotels are consistently having this issue..
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Planar Protector

as amendment to my last post

this issue is occurring on all eq emu servers not just p99

i guess i should take the matter to those forums
Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Sarnak

Hey bubur, I just wanted to respond and let you know you are not alone in this issue--especially as of late. I have ordered a long cat-5 (30 foot.. since I live in Japan I have to wait forever to get anything) and I am hoping it will fix my TT/EJ/BW latency issues as well as the connectivity issues you mentioned above.

I have tried many many fixes--probably reinstalled at least 10x, bought a new router, tried different processors (think it might be my quad-core), changed all my firewall settings to multiple different configurations (including off =P) and launched EQ using every tool I could think of.

I am hoping that connecting straight to the router will fix my issue--I will repost when it comes in next week and let you know!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
Sarnak

Have you tried updating drivers to your wireless adapter? Have you tried setting a static IP? What version of windows are you running? Other than the connectivity issues does the game run choppy, slow? When you are playing does it ever look like you lose connectivity even for just a second or two?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Sarnak

Might be worth trying to also get a usb wireless adapter and try connecting to wifi with that instead of the built in wifi and see if you get the same issue.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

thanks for all of the suggestions folks but i want to make one thing clear

I have been playing p99 on this computer without any change addition to the hardware for more than 2 years (forum name change due to account sale a long time ago).

Since I've started I have moved locations ~6 times, and been on and off playing. They have all been wireless and never have I had such an issue as this. Its almost certainly an issue of compatibility with my wifi here in this particular dorm setting in Indonesia. I recently discovered a hotspot about half a km away which logs in and zones perfectly.

But its not so simple unfortunately. My wifi is quite good in this dorm!

I can sit here watching HD and streaming videos without issue while P99 repeatedly says it can't connect to the internet.
Last edited by bubur; 03-05-2013 at 04:40 AM..
Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Sarnak

then it kinda sounds like they have some weird setting in the dorm for however the emulated servers run. I don't know what else to tell you outside of that.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Could be the ISP. Have you tried loading up other games requiring an internet connection? I know when I go into the university library its able to detect what type of data is being used (ie, playing games) and simply won't allow me to connect to P99, League of Legends, etc etc!

Maybe there's some kind of restriction on the ISP for gamers? A few tried it here in the UK but that policy didn't last too long, and they went for capping bandwidth at 1GB/2GB a month and trying to charge people if they went over it instead.

If it's not the router it's probably the ISP... if the internet seems fine for everything else. Did you run a speed test from your dorm and from next to the router? (www.speetest.net)... always interesting to see how much your connection deteriorates [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Sarnak

Hey I submitted this problem on the eqemulator.net forums.

The problem has something to do returning packets to client over high latency networks (eg. low quality wireless signals).

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36426

If you check out the parent forum a lot of people are reporting this issue.

I believe its on the eqemulator.net login server end and as of last week its gotten A LOT better.

So that being said, no need to waste time on changing routers and calling your ISP. Its 100% server side problem.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just some updates

..But since its a dorm I don't have any access to router settings
I wonder if the people in charge of your Dorm's Router have QoS enabled on the router itself and they made Streaming and/or VoIP a higher priority than other packets?

If so, I'm not sure there is much you can do but maybe try a wired connection to the router itself with a Cat-5e ethernet cable. Hopefully you don't need a LONG one!