Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Orc

Default What if Variance was gone or changed?

So why not just allow FTE and do away with variance? It makes no sense for variance as it only helps bat phone guilds who have no life (not an attack at those who have all the free time in the world on their hands) to be on whenever stuff is up. Variance also adds to the aggressions of P1999 community for casual raid guilds.

Do we want to go into Velious with variance when FTE is in place? If you have variance then we do not need FTE, do away with FTE so other guilds got a shot when something pops.

Seriously we do not need variance anymore. People poop sock and most guilds know when a target is up, it just makes it more difficult for casuals to get a chance at any raid targets if they can't get on during work or early a.m. targets.

How to make it semi variance while not being current variance. This idea may give the best chance for everyone. You take out variance as it is now and put in the old system of knowing the timers on raid targets, except you add one small front variance that does not random in any way so that the first spawn will be known timer and the next time it pops will be it's fixed variance +days. It rotates every kill.

So for example if the above is confusing. Raid target is 7 day timer and dies, the next timer will be the fixed variance timer of +days (however many fixed days they make each raid target) then after that pop dies it goes back to normal timer 7 days. Rinse and repeat.

Just trying to help the raid scene issue with some ideas. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Sarnak

Personally I do not think there is a problem. If I'm not going to put in as much time and effort as the bigger raid guilds I don't think I deserve the same loot. This game isnt based around awarding everyone with equal chances and catering to your real life schedule. If you have a steady job that prevents you from putting in the amount of time and effort as the bigger guilds then unfortunately you will fail when competing with them. There is nothing wrong with that. If you are a causal raid guild then there is nothing wrong with jumping in sky/hate/fear and raiding like they do already.

Simulated repops however I think are a great idea (as long as they are not too frequent) and is a way to allow some casual guilds to get some targets while still awarding the effort and time commitment put in from the bigger guilds who take the normal spawns.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanastorm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So why not just allow FTE and do away with variance? It makes no sense for variance as it only helps bat phone guilds who have no life (not an attack at those who have all the free time in the world on their hands) to be on whenever stuff is up. Variance also adds to the aggressions of P1999 community for casual raid guilds.

Do we want to go into Velious with variance when FTE is in place? If you have variance then we do not need FTE, do away with FTE so other guilds got a shot when something pops.

Seriously we do not need variance anymore. People poop sock and most guilds know when a target is up, it just makes it more difficult for casuals to get a chance at any raid targets if they can't get on during work or early a.m. targets.
Why do away with FTE? We have variance now and require FTE rulings to determine which guild in the race to the target has the rights to engage.

There is no doubt that variance is a huge drain of player's resources and time, but those players don't have to spend it the way they do in the current system, but choose to in order to get the targets. It becomes a game of escalation and attrition.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniture [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally I do not think there is a problem. If I'm not going to put in as much time and effort as the bigger raid guilds I don't think I deserve the same loot. This game isnt based around awarding everyone with equal chances and catering to your real life schedule. If you have a steady job that prevents you from putting in the amount of time and effort as the bigger guilds then unfortunately you will fail when competing with them. There is nothing wrong with that. If you are a causal raid guild then there is nothing wrong with jumping in sky/hate/fear and raiding like they do already.

Simulated repops however I think are a great idea (as long as they are not too frequent) and is a way to allow some casual guilds to get some targets while still awarding the effort and time commitment put in from the bigger guilds who take the normal spawns.
This argument is flawed. Since when do casual guilds not put in the same time and effort? Casual guilds have to work harder, the players stay up little past than what they should for work and what not. Time invested does not mean better rewards on P1999 my friend. Also the game is 14 yrs old! Most of you guys were not even working then, just young guns playing video games for fun and had all the time. Why should one particular force be better just because they have no life?

So again your argument is flawed. Casual players show up, we raid and try to as best we can. The time investment = rewards argument is just stupid for P1999. Since most people can just buy whatever they want from EC and not ever raid. It's said how RMT has changed the dynamics.

Another point to say is classic EQ did not stay in classic EQ Kunark very long. So as expansions came out it opened up room for people. RMT was non existent really except account sales occasionally on eBay, but people just didn't have 100's thousands of plats to buy countless end game things to gear toons and avoid raiding. You actually had to raid and do quests to get gear. Velious was out before Kunark got really locked down for most guilds, so you had people still needing Kunark while doing Velious.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why do away with FTE? We have variance now and require FTE rulings to determine which guild in the race to the target has the rights to engage.

There is no doubt that variance is a huge drain of player's resources and time, but those players don't have to spend it the way they do in the current system, but choose to in order to get the targets. It becomes a game of escalation and attrition.
Yes I know, that was kinda a sarcastic bash at variance. No FTE would been a hell of a lot funner I think. At least on classic my server some fights up till early Velious were like this until GM's and game rules changed it.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Sarnak

This question has been addressed countless times by the staff. There have been countless threads over this very question.

But one thing I don't agree with is your statement, "Since when do casual guilds not put in the same time and effort?"

Are you kidding me? Um, since forever!!! You are also claiming that RMT was non existent on live? Are you kidding me? More blatant lies!

We all know that it isn't the best to be sitting on Kunark for so long, and the crazy thing is that variance actually seems to support what you want(more time and effort being rewarded). It is a way to avoid a 200 person poopsock for every monster spawn and actually be able to reward the guild that DOES put in the most time and effort.

I don't think you are going to find many here that will agree with your position that the casual guilds are putting in the same effort as the guilds consistently getting raid mob kills. It just sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipdog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This question has been addressed countless times by the staff. There have been countless threads over this very question.

But one thing I don't agree with is your statement, "Since when do casual guilds not put in the same time and effort?"

Are you kidding me? Um, since forever!!! You are also claiming that RMT was non existent on live? Are you kidding me? More blatant lies!

We all know that it isn't the best to be sitting on Kunark for so long, and the crazy thing is that variance actually seems to support what you want(more time and effort being rewarded). It is a way to avoid a 200 person poopsock for every monster spawn and actually be able to reward the guild that DOES put in the most time and effort.

I don't think you are going to find many here that will agree with your position that the casual guilds are putting in the same effort as the guilds consistently getting raid mob kills. It just sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.
RMT was not really part of Classic to Kunark, you had some account sales on Ebay sure but the RMT scene was not in force and many if you asked them back then would of said wtf is RMT. You just did not have it mainstream back then. Just because you may of heard of it doesn't mean it was mainstream to be known by all or popular. RMT in EQ basically surged towards the mid to end of Velious era. POP really made RMT take off.

Casual raid guilds put in the same effort per raid and tracking as hardcore guilds do. If you call bat phones being time invested then by all means go ahead. But if a guild can have a couple poop socking while the rest of the guild does whatever and or offline to be called for a raid target does not mean they invested more time. Simply means they took advantage of technology and having to not be working etc.

Raids are not that long anymore, they are quick so time invested is same for everyone who has a good raid guild, even casual raid guilds can surprise you hardcore players.

Not everyone in a raid guild is going to be sitting for days at a raid target waiting for it to pop, oh wait; they don't!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Sarnak

"Since when do casual guilds not put in the same time and effort?"

Casual guilds do not batphone or show up at raid bosses when they spawn. That is the distinction between a casual raid guild and FE/IB/TMO etc. This is a time and effort commitment put in by the players who have the desire AND the circumstances in their real life schedule to be able to put in the playtime to get what they want. For the sake of the argument you can call these guilds "hardcore guilds".

Why don't casual guilds do this? Because many of them have schedules that means they can not be on call to jump into norrath at any moment. Which leads me to:

"the players stay up little past than what they should for work and what not." "Also the game is 14 yrs old! Most of you guys were not even working then, just young guns playing video games for fun and had all the time. Why should one particular force be better just because they have no life?"

There you go. If you can't log in when a mob spawns, then you need to accept it. This is how its been on the server since the start. Obviously you have a schedule that prevents you from committing to a hardcore guild. You are playing a videogame that persists when you are not there. Just because a majority of people can not commit like that does not mean there is a problem. Not everybody needs best in slot raid boss gear.

"Time invested does not mean better rewards on P1999 my friend."
Time is the most important thing to be successful in classic eq. This is a grind heavy mmo where you grind for nearly everything, not an online fps shooter.

These threads have showed up for years and its the same rehashed bullshit.

If your guild can not show up at mobs with numbers and can not batphone, then you need to accept it.
Last edited by Furniture; 11-21-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Planar Protector

No variance just makes it a battle of 200 autofire keyboards
Old 11-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No variance just makes it a battle of 200 autofire keyboards
But you only have to show up 5 minutes before the mob is scheduled to spawn!
Closed Thread