Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 10:33 AM
Sarnak

Default Orb of Infinite Void for Knights

Is there any downfall to using Orb for Knights? AC isn't calculated differently than shields right? And I assume you can still block with it?
Old 08-21-2021, 02:24 PM
Planar Protector

I haven't done a test on this myself, but I have heard orbs do not count as shields, so you do not get the AC bonus shields normally give. I am not even sure you can bash with an orb. There is a reason why tanks don't use OoIV. OoIV is much better for casters since casters get very few high ac offhand items, and the mana/hp is awesome.

There also isn't any block mechanic when wearing a shield. The only class that gets "block" is Monks, and it isn't shield dependant, it is basically just another parry that further reduces the number of hits you take. The only benefits you get from a shield are the AC bonus (shield AC is not softcapped), and you can use bash.

I would just use an https://wiki.project1999.com/Atramentous_Shield or https://wiki.project1999.com/Sarnak_Battle_Shield until you get a raid shield.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

Even if you disregard the 25x price difference, best case if the orb is a “shield” you are trading 10ac for 35 raw hps. Most casual knights (w/o NTOV shields) are using a SBS aren’t stamina capped or needs raid buffs to get there so it’s actually 66hps with the 5sta (calculated at level 60) instead of 75. You also get 10mr which is pretty great as a bonus. Most stuff knights are justified to tank have detrimental MR spells you can resist.

There are some nice pickups outside of ToV. The Eru pally shield is 35 AC 20 str and stam with ultra vision (104hp). The Bladestopper is affordable since recharging it isn’t a thing anymore 25 AC 15 STA 50 hp (128 total). Small SK’s can get the raw 100hp Ashenbone from most rogue epic fights in Kith or PoH. Pallies have the Life’s Guard in PoH which is also 100hps but quite a bit less common than the SK one thanks to the rogue epic kills. The SK’s Atra shield is great too.

Tl;Dr - IMHO there are better options than the Orb (high end non-TOV) and the SBS is very solid for 800p if you want to trade 2h dps for durability.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:25 AM
Fire Giant

Ya don't use for tank. It isn't a real shield. Cheap max ac /HP with sta is bladestopper. Cheap since clickys nerf lol

https://wiki.project1999.com/Bladestopper
Old 08-23-2021, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

good stuff, thanks for the responses! good to know.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:31 PM
Planar Protector

Use Atranemous shield for SK, and for Paladin Lodi shield or Sarnak Battle Shield. Lodi much more expensive than SBS and honestly not that much better.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:34 PM
Banned

SBS is your best bet
Old 08-26-2021, 12:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Use Atranemous shield for SK, and for Paladin Lodi shield or Sarnak Battle Shield. Lodi much more expensive than SBS and honestly not that much better.
Lodi Shield is much better as a back item than as a shield. I believe it has more total resistances on it than any other back item, and all of those resistances happen to be the best resistances. It also has above average AC for a back item. Not the highest ac possible, but certainly above average.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:22 AM
Fire Giant

Blade stopper is 25 ac 15 sta and 50 hp! How can anything dropable be better then that for a shield! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Orc

Lodi Shield or Hiero Cloak for back slot?
Closed Thread