Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Large Bat

Default Started a warrior

I have already started a cleric, and love playing P99. It's awesome being back in a real mmorpg again. The other night I got on, and spent 20 minutes LFG as a cleric in EC, and decided it was time to create a warrior. I've never actually played a warrior past maybe 30 in current live (not even close to the same...especially with merc) and maybe level 6 back in original Kunark. So I'm curious of your opinions...

I started a Halfling Warrior. Maxed Stamina out. And am at level 6. Loving it so far. I did this because, if I understand correctly, a halfling warrior is the fastest leveling character in the game? And even if it's not, it's still fun to play a short person, and a more unusual combination. Heck, I'm playing a CT Erudite Cleric for that matter.

Ok. Go.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Fire Giant

Edit - I recant from my shameful ways. I'm a firm supporter of stamina now, at least on a halfling warrior. A goal of reaching up to +50 strength on good / cheap items from EC is very possible. The 110 stamina with the base 80 strength is a hard start to screw up with.

+3 strength earrings (+6 total, 60pp), sebilite scale cap (+4 str, 300pp), seb scale bracelet / kylong wrist guards (+4 str, +8 total, 2-300pp each), sarnak hide mask (+5 str, 150pp), seb scale shoulders (+4 str, 3-350pp), werewolf hide cloak (+3 str, 150-200pp), crafted arms (+1 str), crafted legs (+1 str), crafted hands (+5 str), thick banded belt (+15 str, but 3k cost).

+37 strength in items with short term goals to obtain, +52 strength when the thick banded belt is purchased. Not much of a drop on total AC value worn either.

The halfling starts play with a base 90 Dex. Others will chime in with more experience how important dex is, but honest, that's not a horrid starting value either.
Last edited by NegaStoat; 05-31-2014 at 03:54 PM..
Old 05-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Planar Protector

I'm pretty sure that Strength has no effect at all on melee agro generation. It's swings rather than hits, and weapon base damage(*) rather than actual damage done. There's also a modifier for 2handers that reduces their agro.

Dunno where you come up with that 150 cap on STA.

To repeat, STR affects damage done and the weight you can carry, but NOT agro.

(*) Can't recall offhand whether the damage bonus that all melees & hybrids (except Bard) get for primary hand & 2handers at L28+ figures into agro generation or not.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Fire Giant

The soft cap of 150 I mentioned was on strength, not stamina. I know stamina isn't capped.

As for aggro and strength, I stand corrected. I was under the assumption that Strength helped determine if an attack actually hits for damage (it does), but I was not aware that threat is developed for attacks merely being attempted - regardless of if they hit or not. If missed hits still develop threat based on the raw stats of the weapon being swung, then I was woefully ignorant of it working that way for the server.

Strength is still especially useful for a large span of time a warrior is not tanking, and is in a group for DPS. Not to mention it being useful for solo hunting as well.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned

As a level 60 halfling warrior, allow me to sweep aside all infidels and commend your choice. Welcome brother, let us rise up against all foes of the Vale and bathe their children in the spent blood of their fathers.

As Stoat said, don't play this class/race combo for the exp bonus. Unless you have about 200k to throw on your warrior at level 1, you will almost never be soloing. The exp bonus would be awesome, if we were a solo capable class. But, we are not. The bonus merely balances out the inevitable party penalties you will suffer by grouping with the lesser races.

I cannot emphasize how great it is to have sneak and hide. Hide, allowing you to go invis safely in many a dangerous zone. Sneak, to slip by your foes, to pull single mobs in a packed dungeon, or later, to wander the streets of Neriak, slaughtering guards, then sneak behind their merchants and sell them the weapons of their defenders.

You made a good choice emphasizing STA. At later levels, it is no difficulty to get above 200 STR in a group setting. With the clicky buff from cobalt boots, I always have 190. I did 20 STA, 5 STR. If I could do it again, I'd probably put that 5 STR into DEX.

Why? Because DEX affects how often your weapons proc. This is essentially how you will maintain aggro after your mid 30's. So, find some DEX gear in the meantime.

Your small stature will prove useful time and time again. You can slip through tiny cracks in dungeons, get into the Hole without needing a key. The only time I wish I was a size larger is while tanking in Plane of Sky.

Halfling is really a great warrior race. I can see why Ogre is better for a min/maxer perspective. Frontal stun immunity is nice. But if you play this game for the enjoyment of less common/obvious characters, then you are in for a treat.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

If I rerolled my halfling warrior I'd prolly go 20 sta 5 dex too. Having a natural 105 dex would be helpful. I'd be tempted to dump it all into dex if I was aiming for 205 long game.

Sadly it seems you can't single pull by hitting hide and then taunting through a wall/round a corner anymore. However, now you can hit sneak and throw a forged javelin instead to minimise adds when pulling from a cluster. Sneak also gives you access to more merchants and quests.

Halflings have access to some decent cultural armour if you want it (but you have to pay a dwarf for it).

They have a handy default bind too, Misty Thicket has a huge traffic of druids passing through, and if you die you can often get a port back to where you were within minutes. That's a decent perk until you rebind. Rivervale also includes a lot of tradeskill options that are useful to a warrior and an ore merchant right next to the forge so you don't need to worry about encumbrance so much while smithing.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The soft cap of 150 I mentioned was on strength, not stamina. I know stamina isn't capped.

Ah, yeah, misread that, sorry.

Dunno where you came up with that 150 cap for STR [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, Filbus is right, even if he is a dirty little haffer.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:27 PM
Large Bat

So more questions relative to a Warrior. I've been reading forum posts, and if I'm understanding correctly, warriors aren't wanted as much in groups as say a Paladin or a Shadow Knight? At least not until end game? I certainly may never make it to end game, and have typically just enjoyed grouping along the way. Should I consider rolling paladin/SK? Would this help me to get groups as a tank, more than warrior? If true, then my next roll would be Erudite SK =P

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Fire Giant

Halflings are the superior warrior race!! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

In my experience, nobody is going to stress over whether you're a warrior, SK or pally in the 1-50 game. The catch is, warriors have trouble generating enough aggro to tank effectively. If you go warrior, it's your responsibility to have weapons that proc, for aggro purposes. Otherwise your whole group is gonna have a bad time.

That's all I know.
Closed Thread