Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 02:24 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The rich get rich and stay rich by being penny-pinching frugal misers. The greatest thing this server has going for it is that it's free. I guess emulators have spoiled me. FREE is the only way to go.
Are you implying the rich play emulated servers? half the forum posters would have you believe they are wealthy beyond measure, outlander.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:52 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Are you implying the rich play emulated servers?
Nope. I'm implying that paying $15/month to play a game that you can otherwise play for free is a waste of money, even if the amount seemingly appears inconsequential. By applying this frugal methodology to all aspects of your life, maybe you too can become rich and stay rich. Don't care though, do as you will...pay no heed to my unsolicited, sagely advice.

Just my one cent (too frugal to give 2 cents) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 01-25-2021, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope. I'm implying that paying $15/month to play a game that you can otherwise play for free is a waste of money, even if the amount seemingly appears inconsequential. By applying this frugal methodology to all aspects of your life, maybe you too can become rich and stay rich. Don't care though, do as you will...pay no heed to my unsolicited, sagely advice.

Just my one cent (too frugal to give 2 cents) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would agree if the private servers were pushing the same quality of playerbase and community, and if they got rid of dynamic spawns I would say the experience is overall significantly better than private server, plus the legitimacy of your character being around forever and after unsubbing if I want to come back later.

I am actually quite frugal, but it's choosing when to be frugal around certain things that determines my QoL.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

Weighing in again to say that I'd pay 500 a month for 2 years of everquest rallos zek pvp with item loot full actual ruleset with 1000 players, 800 of which are WOW refugees that suck at eq so I can win.

:P
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Weighing in again to say that I'd pay 500 a month for 2 years of everquest rallos zek pvp with item loot full actual ruleset with 1000 players, 800 of which are WOW refugees that suck at eq so I can win.

:P
I'm going to be a sad old man one day paying people to play EQ. They will all be uninterested. I'll be the guy from the movie "Mr. Nobody" but while playing on a windows 98 computer while everyone is interested in what foods we ate during my time and studying me.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm going to be a sad old man one day paying people to play EQ. They will all be uninterested. I'll be the guy from the movie "Mr. Nobody" but while playing on a windows 98 computer while everyone is interested in what foods we ate during my time and studying me.
a man can dream.

I am not fully set on nostalgia only. If someone made a new legitimate "hard" mmo that wasn't stupid but just let you try to survive the environment that was in place, I would play it.

EQ is unique these days in that the world is just there whether or not your character is in it. Your character shows up (cuz you crawl down into that dungeon) and now you need to figure out what to do in order to survive.

Other games don't even let you get in this kinda situation with your dead body at the bottom of a hole and no ability to get down there, recover corpse and get back.

HOWEVER you could hire a level 1 rogue to sneak hide down there and get it for you, assuming he doesn't take the corpse further down and demand ransom or something.

On rallos zek I think someone with /consent was able to loot your corpse but I can only remember it a little bit. Not sure if that was the case on not pvp or not item loot servers.

Anyways the point is that I am not dead set on living a life of nostalgia. I just like MMORPG games and haven't found one that is as good as EQ. I have played demon souls and dark souls for being hard mode semi co-op games but they aren't MMOs. They are pretty cool because if you can dodge a monster perfectly for like an hour you can beat some seemingly invincible dudes at level zero.

But it doesn't feel vast and like a whole world the same way this does.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 01-25-2021 at 06:53 PM..
Old 01-25-2021, 07:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
a man can dream.

I am not fully set on nostalgia only. If someone made a new legitimate "hard" mmo that wasn't stupid but just let you try to survive the environment that was in place, I would play it.

EQ is unique these days in that the world is just there whether or not your character is in it. Your character shows up (cuz you crawl down into that dungeon) and now you need to figure out what to do in order to survive.

Other games don't even let you get in this kinda situation with your dead body at the bottom of a hole and no ability to get down there, recover corpse and get back.

HOWEVER you could hire a level 1 rogue to sneak hide down there and get it for you, assuming he doesn't take the corpse further down and demand ransom or something.

On rallos zek I think someone with /consent was able to loot your corpse but I can only remember it a little bit. Not sure if that was the case on not pvp or not item loot servers.
Yea. Luclin was such a cut and scar in my life though that, modern graphics on mmo might always put me into a panic. Like a car crash survivor. I heard brad worked on Luclin so I hate to talk bad about it too much.

I've heard it repeated and I've repeated it, people lose focus on the world aspect. It would be as if chess became popular and then people tried to make it a better sport. The core of mmo's started out as a simulated world. Now its instance quest. Not saying instances never work. If someone logs in and something in the world makes what that person wanted to log on to do not possible, then that's what has to be dealt with or else the world is removed from the game.

Also there is no lotto or gamble like little kids pretending to play. Everything has to be corporate where they are are clinging glasses at the top trying to be the best at business. I hope one day MMOs can come back where people say, "Hey why not try this world? Oh it didn't work? Oh well there are plenty other good ones out there."

Having unique velious graphics taken away in Luclin was the first step of denial thinking, "No this is fine. There's nothing wrong with this. Maybe they just haven't installed them yet." But it felt like someone saying, "This is what you need in life." Why? Why do we need all armor to look the same?

Its going to be hilarious when it turns out that modern EQ is awesome and I just didn't like it because I didn't finish velious all the way. Doubt it.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Anytime one novel is answered by another you figure a special internet connection was made. Maybe now you all can keep it in pms.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

I love peaking in on red99s novela.
Closed Thread