Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-30-2023, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesty07 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Uhhhhh, look no further than this thread.... calling people names at every opportunity.
You haven't given an example yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesty07 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wahhhh everybody is a troll except me wahhhhhh
This is troll behavior. It is not name calling to say you are trolling when you post this. I am just pointing it out.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:24 PM
Fire Giant

How many threads have you been in now where we've called you out? I'd say at least 30 people have given you shit now.

We're not "trolls" -- you're just an annoying arrogant scumbag.

You've been checkmated and you're still going on. That takes a real lack of sanity

No, you idiot, repeating the line about my post count and how I sarcastically said I "harassed" you won't do you any favours.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How many threads have you been in now where we've called you out? I'd say at least 30 people have given you shit now.

We're not "trolls" -- you're just an annoying arrogant scumbag.

You've been checkmated and you're still going on. That takes a real lack of sanity

No, you idiot, repeating the line about my post count and how I sarcastically said I "harassed" you won't do you any favours.
You think this doesn't make you look like an arrogant scumbag? Yikes.

You might want to read your posts before you hit the button.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-30-2023 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-30-2023, 12:28 PM
Fire Giant

How was that even a comeback...?

"YIKES"
Old 11-30-2023, 12:29 PM
Kobold

Hey friends, if you want to be a great tank, one minor aspect you can do is not spam taunt on cooldown like a 12 year old in 1999. Instead, save it to use at a moment you deem necessary. Remember, taunt is a unique ability, that no item or spell can match when successful. Use it wisely as part of your overall tank kit. Any questions please do reach out, happy to help.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Hey friends, if you want to be a great tank, one minor aspect you can do is not spam taunt on cooldown like a 12 year old in 1999. Instead, save it to use at a moment you deem necessary. Remember, taunt is a unique ability, that no item or spell can match when successful. Use it wisely as part of your overall tank kit. Any questions please do reach out, happy to help.
Thank you for posting your opinion in a friendly way! That is a good change of pace.

I believe you are missing some nuance, however. Take a look at this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"The opportunity cost of missing a single taunt is minimal due to the unreliable nature of taunt and it's 6 second cooldown. Switching between spamming taunt and using taunt strategically costs you a single taunt in the worst case. Therefore, do not be afraid to press the taunt button for fear of a missed taunt."
The opportunity cost of using taunt is minimal, regardless of how you press the button. There is no reason to be afraid of using it, or hesitating due to not knowing if the time is right.

Taunting at the right time is a great strategy, but not everybody does this for whatever reason. Snaggles, for example, doesn't use taunt at all. He is a tank that is level 60 and tanks raid content, so don't think that this only applies to newer players.

If you are a player like Snaggles, you can spam taunt to get some utility out of it. You get +1 hate every 6 seconds, and an 8.33% chance to taunt automatically.

You can just assign taunt to a macro you are already spamming (Bash/Slam is a good one) and get a free boost to your agro generation with no extra effort! If you have room on your macro, you can add disarm and beg as well. Those will also generate agro for you.

Spam taunt or save it, both will work just fine. The only time you are getting nothing out of the skill is if you don't use it!
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-30-2023 at 12:59 PM..
Old 11-30-2023, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

christ if you're begging for aggro you've got bigger problems
Old 11-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
christ if you're begging for aggro you've got bigger problems
Agreed! Nobody is suggesting that you are using beg out of necessity. But if you can fit disarm/beg/taunt on a macro you are spamming anyway, you are getting potential extra hate literally for free. Why not use it?

Snap agro is the primary agro tool of an SK, and we all agree on that.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please show some examples of me trolling.
Every single thread you join
Old 11-30-2023, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
But if you can fit disarm/beg/taunt on a macro you are spamming anyway, you are getting potential extra hate literally for free. Why not use it?
I can answer this: Because the benefit gained from more aggro generation is not unlimited. Once you're already holding aggro, any additional threat, be it +1, or +1000, is wasted. Hence spamming those abilities is typically of no value on a knight who's holding aggro anyway. That's more of a warrior tactic when they're scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for any extra threat they can find.

In the specific case of beg you do actually get some "harm" by using it unnecessarily: It adds hate when it fails, so you want to keep your skill as low as possible to maximize fail rate. Using it all the time, hence skilling it up faster, is detrimental. Disarm and Taunt have no such long-term downside.

I don't like macroing abilities together because the macro button doesn't stay "greyed out" when on cooldown the same way, say, Bash does just by itself. I do use bash "strategically" when battling spellcasters, as any knight should, so I like having the visual reference. That's just personal preference, of course, and other folks can and do use other setups and do fine.
Last edited by Danth; 11-30-2023 at 01:21 PM..