Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 06:37 AM
Kobold

Can't lie it be like sick as hell to have a beast on p99 but we will never travel to the moon to find cats....[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Even though it was some of the best raid content ever!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 AM
Kobold

Paragon and their mana/hp regen line of spells was worth having them around.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:13 AM
Planar Protector

Beastlord as a concept is something that Rangers should have been able to do. The implementation of the class was dumb. They summoned a pet instead of going out into the wilds and taming one, and then they magically buffed up the animal such that it would do random magic attacks. Like, what? It makes no sense. A beastlord is not supposed to be He-Man or She-Ra, as fun and pretty as those characters and their animated cartoon transformations are.

The other random "unique" buffs the class got (in order to make them relevant for Raids) also made no sense. EQ designers had already even tried to do that with Rangers in Velious to make them relevant - a stackable attack buff to justify "needing" at least 1 of the class to be present for min/max purposes at a raid. Pay no mind that someone could just cast these buffs and then switch over to a different character...an inherent design flaw in having long-duration buffs with no downside in a game.

The class was basically a big hand-out for the casual player base, and took away from some of the uniqueness of the Mage class. Want a super powerful pet, with very efficient pet heals, some other general healing capability, and some slows, and some buffs, and SoW, and melee capability too? Okay, now you've got it! Pretty much every easy-to-use mechanic in the game, rolled into one class.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The class was basically a big hand-out for the casual player base, and took away from some of the uniqueness of the Mage class. Want a super powerful pet, with very efficient pet heals, some other general healing capability, and some slows, and some buffs, and SoW, and melee capability too? Okay, now you've got it! Pretty much every easy-to-use mechanic in the game, rolled into one class.
Hm!! Insightful points, as usual, Zuranthium. Perhaps the above reasons were why 14-year-old Tala was able to get a beastlord to level 23 (my highest level char back in the day). Beastlords have all the fundamental ingredients for making progress. I recently played a beastlord to 60 on TAKP and enjoyed it.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:59 PM
Sarnak

The devs of P99 HATE Luclin with a passion.

You'll never see any of the moon content on here.

A shame too, a lot better than Kunark.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:07 PM
Aviak

Blue should progress to PoP and Green should stay at velious
Ruilden Wreckchords | Level 30 Half Elf Bard of No God |Green|
Maulgar | Level 24 Troll Shadow Knight of Cazic-Thule |Green|
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 PM
Kobold

Luclin was a really easy expansion to hate on back in the day when it dropped. I remember strongly disliking it.

Then I played on Agnarr, and I couldn't believe how much fun I had in Luclin. It was so much better than I remembered it being.

I would bet the devs here have not played Luclin since it was new. I wish they would go try it out again and see how it hits them now. You could remove horses and the /trader function and Luclin would be a great addition to P99. People would take to it fast imo, and it would improve server health.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:35 PM
Orc

I have accepted beastlords. When luclin and especially pop came out, I became very against any change to EQ. But I think its possible.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:44 PM
Planar Protector

Not classic, not classic, not classic <3
Old 07-31-2019, 05:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Beastlords and Mages shared two main aspects:

1. a strong pet with associated buffs etc.
2. no CC capacity

Where they deviated is their 'play styles' aka they were two different type of pet classes.

Beastlord's were the quintessential "grouping pet class" with all the perks you mentioned in your post...in addition with a bit of gear and a few AAs they could also tank general PoP Era group content okay.

Mages on the other hand we're the "utility/ burst damage pet class", more burst dps, nukes, coth, resist debuff and item summoning, would get smoked in melee range.

It's just a matter of perspective.

One of the funnest duo's I did for general kunark exploring was a beastlord + druid combo.....BY GOD YOU COULD DESTROY KUNARK CONTENT FOR AAs, it had everything.

Chardok was one of my favorite locations with the Druid DCing a doggie...the Beatlord Pet...the beastlords slow...the beastlord tanking...the beastlord pet dpsing...the druid DC pet dpsing...the druid healing and general CC works...
Last edited by White_knight; 07-31-2019 at 05:41 AM..
Closed Thread