Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Large Bat

Hasbin knows if he is allowed to marry he will be the bitch in his relationship and is still unwilling to carry a purse and wear a dress. Soon Hasbin you will have no choice then to be the bitch you only pretend to be in EQ.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:30 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is the repeal on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" affecting life in active duty? Was there a mass coming out? Are people sucking each other off the bathroom? Are barracks very uncomfortable now?

..or are you guys already over it?

Much ado about nothing?
No offense but most homosexuals are pretty eccentric and its fairly obvious, so I was already aware of them around me in the workplace.

We don't often talk about sex and personal lives at work so it really hasn't made any tangible difference I can see.

Although due to competition and politics I do believe some people were chaptered out of the military with people using their sexual preference as an excuse and I'm glad that their sexuality can't be used against them.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 AM
VIP / Contributor

From an outsider perspective, DADT might seem like some giant civil rights movement that had some significant impact. But the reality was that no one really gave a shit, and it was only ever invoked when A) they wanted to get rid of someone who was so bad for unit cohesion that the unit was better off without them, and had no better option to boot them (and this very rarely had to do with their sexuality). Or B) someone wanted out of training, didn't have a better excuse, and believed all the horror stories about people who went AWOL.

In the case of A it was a last resort, a situation where a person does more good in absentia than present. Even in the case of B, it was only begrudgingly done, retention was the primary focus, and the private would have to argue his way up the chain of command all the way to the Col., while still participating in training and using the same showers as anyone. I only saw one person see that through to completion, and I'm pretty sure he was lying.

The ones that made the news were type A. Obnoxious fucking attention whores who chose to identify themselves as their most controversial personality trait, civilians could identify with that and rally behind it. But that kind of behavior has no place in the military, and the authority is slowly being ceded slightly behind parental rights. Sergeants can no longer beat or swear at their soldiers, and the O-grades are coming in too fucking green to know what to do. The military is there for the idealistic defense of the nation, and the practical abuse toward the executive branch's agendas; but not for Billy to prance around Afghanistan with a feather boa on his M-16 and feel validated that some father figure finally has to accept his worthless ass.

As it stands, Americans soldiers have been topping the charts when it comes to responsibility for the deaths of American soldiers for the last decade. Why? Because people who don't take shit seriously are filtering in to meet recruiter quotas, and once they've hit training, it's damn near impossible to get them out. People get shot by fucking idiots who can't operate a rifle and don't know what the fuck a proper low-ready is. Well good fucking going, I'm just glad I won't be there when they start getting twirled. Letting these jokers in is just going to get more good soldiers killed. Gays are, and have been in the military since its inception. The right ones, and DADT didn't affect that one bit. Not all were in the closet, and some of them couldn't help but be obvious for all the effort in the world. But they weren't booted for their sexuality.

Where and in whom you stick it is a very small part of a person's life. And when you're going to spend years in what-would-be uncomfortably close quarters in potentially dangerous situations with other men who would be distracted by that, you have a duty and a responsibility to put safety and common sense first and shut the fuck up about it.

There is an entire subculture of stealth gay that places a high value on privacy and the consideration of others, and it's not just limited to the military. Consider how often an average male finds himself in potentially awkward same-sex situations: From using a gym locker room to sharing a hotel, or even being in the same car alone for extended periods of time. When the orientation has no positive reason to influence the social dynamic, it shouldn't ever be introduced. As a result, this is the closest it will ever come to publicly lamenting the loss of DADT.

In short: Even the gays in the military think they're a bunch of fags, and we wish they'd stay the hell out.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM
Orc

I am active duty. Nobody gives a shit. Now go kill some fire beetles.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Orc

I do want to say, though, how funny it was to go onto Facebook the day of and see who changed their status..a lot of "I knew it"s and laughing at the people who you KNOW are gay but aren't changing their status in the event that the repeal is repealed, or something like that. Those Washington guys are tricksy.
Closed Thread