Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

Default tip for learning a zone without maps

This might be obvious, but maybe someone will find it useful.

On this server, I like to see if I can remember these old zones, or re-learn them without always looking at a map and/or using /loc.

This can be tricky. Even if you have invis and itu gtg, being lost is being lost. Here is a trick I use.

(Note: this is for exploring/learning, not fighting in, a dungeon or zone)

When you get to a place where you know where you are, target a mob, and keep that mob targeted. Then explore, and if you think you are getting lost, see if you can backtrack. Your targeted mob will be flashing for you to verify, yes, ok, I am back here.

I use this trick a lot to make sure I have a zone down pat. Works really well to prevent getting totally lost or going in circles.

A second trick, one can also drop a piece of food or some other disposable item on the ground, just like the trail of bread crumbs from the fairy tale. Only shortcoming there is the item poofs after 5 minutes or so, but this method still works if you are trying to learn a quick run -- like how to learn the maze in Cazic Thule.

there are other ways to find your way than maps! You can learn zones "in game" if you use these techniques. I am sure others have other tips.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

Imagine most outdoor zones as a square. The sides of those squares as having north, south, west, and east walls (Max sense heading!). On certain walls there is zone lines. Learn which wall they are on first. Then learn where they are respective of how far up or down they on that wall.

That's all there is to it. Hug walls at first. Once you have a better picture of the zones in your head, you can cut through them. Check out the maps on the wiki, they are invaluable for going to new places.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624

really good to remember coordinates for some of the more hidden zonelines

in burning wood, if i need to bail to skyfire i know my second coordinate needs to be 1750

if i need to go to dreadlands, -750

familiarize yourself with the uneven zonelines (like the DL zoneline area in BW that i just mentioned)

best to just remember both coordinates so you can go in a straight line. cuts down a shitload of travel time
Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 PM
Kobold

hmm something to think about.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine most outdoor zones as a square. The sides of those squares as having north, south, west, and east walls (Max sense heading!). On certain walls there is zone lines. Learn which wall they are on first. Then learn where they are respective of how far up or down they on that wall.

That's all there is to it. Hug walls at first. Once you have a better picture of the zones in your head, you can cut through them. Check out the maps on the wiki, they are invaluable for going to new places.
This. After a while you can enter Frontier mountains from loio, point yourself in a direction, autorun... bam, 5 mins later you're at the overthere ZL
Old 05-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This so much.

Blue
: Seniksin | Jarshale
Red: Sieg | Cazissa
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Old 05-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

If you run in a straight line north from the orc lift you zone straight into Crushbone.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Planar Protector

wasn't there a program that overlay'd a map showing your location (based on your text log file reporting your loc)?

can't seem to find link, but it would be a great aid for someone truly new to the game.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

I usually pick landmarks and remember their visual locations relative to each other.

Yes, there's a third-party map program: norrathmap.com.
Closed Thread