Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Banned

Default Classic non-classic Ideas with Classic Itemization.

The idea is to create an evolving classic world without changing itemization or creating new assets like s3d files or mob models and re-using old items as much as possible.

There is a lot of room in classic for variations on items such as the "ghoulbane" for example. There is only 1 sword and one 2hb that I know of that proc the 'ward'undead.

We could create for example another "classic" item that was CLR only and 1hb ward undead proc, or maybe the next spell circle up with something like a 5/30 and +3 wisdom and 1.5 weight. A lot of + str could be translated into lighter weight items for example for weaker races "it's made of starmetals(tm)".

Another example would be the fact that there isn't really fine plate varients with some AGI on them instead of STA or STR

There isn't a rogue only 1hb offhand, there aren't that many options for 2handers at the end game, like mith2hander and zwiedlehander + whatever is in hate?

Stuff like Katanas are assets, but we could make a Katana each drop off Naggafen, Vox, and maybe the ghoul lord as an ultra rare, with pre-planar stats for the ghoul lord version.

Anyway asside from re-itemizing classic items (keeping the originals in game + some new ones thematically appropriate to the following).

So here we have Freeport, we could have a long involved quest with rare drop rates that center around the death of sir lucan, to find and promote a 'good version' replacement, once this quest was completed and this commander was in effect it would switch the freeport guards from thematically evil corrupt guards to 'good versions'. Which would then trigger a quest to 'corrupt' an evil sir lucan who would then kill the good commander and replace them back to the original. The rewards for these items might be evil and good variants with "evil race and good race" variants of different items.

Miniquests could trigger, for example all the newbie mobs inside of freeport could be replaced with orc varients for an 'orc raid' quest. Just for flavor, where it would reset upon a rare cheiften spawning and being killed during a raid, all low level of course so that newbies could continue to use the zones. Some GM involvement might be involved to trigger and end the 'events'.

Some place like highpass could be 'overrunn' by goblins replacing the good merchants and guards with evil ones, and allowing the zone to be used by evil players without faction, and perhaps even similar quests that would race faction with runneye and neriak or grobb or the evil quenoss guilds an guards. The idea being that people would have goblin guards in highpass and there would be a 'slave fighting pit' tourney style area in the basement where evil players could kill 'the elven heros, captured to fight for prizes' ... turn in 'elf ears' and get rewarded.

These types of modifications could be seasonal or cyclical and add a lot of flavor, variety, and extend the life and variability of the base 1-50 game. Paladins could have an epic lvl 40+ itemized warhammer or axe instead of a flaming two handed sword. Warriors could have dual axes, or a berzerker battle axe. Qeynos could be overrun by unkempt druids. Mages could get robes that focus a particular pet class. Enchanters could get a high lvl shield and weapon. Wizards could get a +100 mana 2hb staff without other stats, or maybe a "melee combat sheildskin proc) or something that was like 10/30.

The options and variables are endless and I think content could be produced at a reasonably friendly rate. I'd love to do this, one day, I'd also be super happy if someone else stole this idea and ran with it.

I think this is what everquest could have been if they didn't focus on endless expansions and mudflation.

P.S. don't forget that ranger 2hB or that ranger axe + sheild itemization [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Kobold

Tldr...

Bring back the warders in ST!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Banned

I like this idea.

Even creating new weapons/items and make them random world drops or something.

Maybe I need to try a custom server.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:23 AM
VIP / Contributor

what it sounds like you are asking for are fun scripted events with unique item rewards. I'm a fan of those, so if that's the case, count me in [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 08-15-2018, 04:01 PM
Banned

i think its cute that sirken is in favor of destroying the classic everquest experience.

its awesome that the administration of p99 can be so disparate in their views. talk to one staff member and another one and its a world of difference.

god speed
Old 08-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i think its cute that sirken is in favor of destroying the classic everquest experience.

its awesome that the administration of p99 can be so disparate in their views. talk to one staff member and another one and its a world of difference.

god speed
I just wanted to have some fun brainstorming this morning with my everquest shower thoughts. I wanted to open the discussion to others. I'd very much like to know what kind of positive constructive ideas you have on making a cool and living MMO experience.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

I think Llandris had advocated for rolling hot zones, but was turned down. Maybe it was Sirken who advocated, can't remember.

Unlikely everyone is 100% identical in their views, no biggie. Lots of arguments can be made on why certain custom content can be a good thing (as in, can re-capture the 'classic experience' of not knowing every ounce of meta about everything as we do now).
Old 08-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Banned

The cleric/pal/sham summoned hammers, make them tradeable and give them a ward undead proc. ya know, for pets
Mage summoned items can also get some neat procs, 5-40ish damage procs of all types, or even something like low level tash/malo procs. Make sure to put in that Race: NONE thing to ensure pet only.
summoned mage armor for pets, ac/hp/str/mr. why mr? for dragon raids and stuff and to not make charmed pets even more powerful
higher damage and/or higher yield for crafted arrows/throwing items with a price drop
Old 08-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Banned

Ideally I would want to do this stuff on a special custom-ish server with the integrity of P99s classic experience. To my knowledge the custom servers that exist now have all tried to reinvent the game. Even secrets really cool idea for random world drops and item loot was a big change to the core games style and roots. Allbiet one of the best done ideas.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think Llandris had advocated for rolling hot zones, but was turned down. Maybe it was Sirken who advocated, can't remember.
This makes me sad, so many zones like Runnyeye, non-pit permafrost, lower guk and others are so unused now.

Instead of 25% exp weekends they can add exp bonuses to certain zones like Dalnir or Nurga, etc for a few days/week
Closed Thread