Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

You don't want to be a solo artist on a hybrid melee unless you spent literal years gearing it and only those of us with the most severe autism should even consider attempting this feat.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Fire Giant

The OP's whole thread is about playing a ranger, I suggested bard because it's the closest class to a ranger's playstyle (that he likes) that will be better at soloing and dungeon crawling. Are there other classes in the game better at that? Of course. Those classes generally play nothing like a ranger though. So he needs to ask himself what's more important, the hybrid playstyle or being able to solo harder high end content.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The OP's whole thread is about playing a ranger, I suggested bard because it's the closest class to a ranger's playstyle (that he likes) that will be better at soloing and dungeon crawling. Are there other classes in the game better at that? Of course. Those classes generally play nothing like a ranger though. So he needs to ask himself what's more important, the hybrid playstyle or being able to solo harder high end content.
He already answered that question. He's said he wants to be a solo artist and won't have fun if a ranger isn't able to do that for him. Which is why people start suggesting other classes. Reading comprehension ftw!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your goal is to be a solo artist ranger is 100% not the class to play. Enchanter would be the #1, then Shaman, then probably Monk or maybe SK.
You want to talk about reading comprehension yet as soon as the guy mentions "solo artist" you automatically assume he's talking about the player-made challenge where you try to solo the hardest mobs in Norrath. The guy clearly just wants to play a ranger and wants to know if he'll be able to solo on one without having to resort to root and archery spam. He wants to be able to fight stuff with his weapons "man to man" style, and you suggest enchanter.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:07 PM
Banned

Obviously Enchanter and Shaman aren't melee classes, which is why I also suggested Monk and Sk. I assumed, maybe incorrectly who knows?, that the OP would understand the difference gameplay wise between a caster and melee class. It's clear his top priority is being able to solo in dungeons, including named mobs. All 4 of the classes I suggested can do that with varying degrees of success. The class you suggested can't do that for any reasonable dungeon unless maybe you're fully geared out from Ntov. Reading comprehension indeed.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've finally narrowed down my favorite kind of classes to the hybrids.
I like hybrids because I think they require the most resourceful and thoughtful approach to gaining xp
His favorite classes are hybrids. I suggested a hybrid that is similar to a ranger that would also be better at soloing and dungeon crawling, which is exactly what he asked about. How you continue to be confused by my suggestion I will never understand. Keep recommending casters and non hybrids though, because that makes total sense.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:14 PM
Kobold

Sorry, didn't mean for my post to lead to some arguments here lol...

I think I get what each of guys are saying. "Solo artist" led to suggestions of the true solo artist classes, and I get that shaman/enc/nec are the top. I just don't like casters, they bore me because in the long run their gameplay is so repetitive...they do the same thing over and over it feels like. Even though hybrids in a way do so as well, the nature of a melee fight is inherently a bit more dynamic to me. To each their own I guess.

I did want to play bard but but don't want wrist pain. And I also work with my hands at my job so I can't afford that, plus my friend is a bard.

I think it's pretty much ranger vs. pally for me. I don't like the downtime of an SK since they can't self heal, though I grant FD allows them to at least explore a dungeon better. I find ranger's style more fun, but then the drawback is the capability compared to a pally's dungeon crawl. I guess I'll just have to accept a tradeoff
Old 01-26-2021, 04:17 PM
Fire Giant

Paladin is a fun class, your damage will be lower but you can take hits a lot better with less down time, plus root and lull makes going through dungeons easier. Later on you can get a DW helmet and/or legs which really help with soloing into your 50s. GL with your choice, and remember most importantly, have fun.
Last edited by mattydef; 01-26-2021 at 04:19 PM..
Old 01-26-2021, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, didn't mean for my post to lead to some arguments here lol...

I think I get what each of guys are saying. "Solo artist" led to suggestions of the true solo artist classes, and I get that shaman/enc/nec are the top. I just don't like casters, they bore me because in the long run their gameplay is so repetitive...they do the same thing over and over it feels like. Even though hybrids in a way do so as well, the nature of a melee fight is inherently a bit more dynamic to me. To each their own I guess.

I did want to play bard but but don't want wrist pain. And I also work with my hands at my job so I can't afford that, plus my friend is a bard.

I think it's pretty much ranger vs. pally for me. I don't like the downtime of an SK since they can't self heal, though I grant FD allows them to at least explore a dungeon better. I find ranger's style more fun, but then the drawback is the capability compared to a pally's dungeon crawl. I guess I'll just have to accept a tradeoff
Sounds like you’ve thought about sk as well. Sk with a focus on bind wound will mitigate a lot of downtime, can pick up one of those summon bandage daggers too. Pallies will out level them due to vastly superior out of combat healing but fd is sweet and when you’re 60 you might like having the all the sk utility better. Can maybe pick up a thurg bp on the way for 90 pt out of combat heals. Plus you get access to all the min max races. I’m enjoying ogre sk currently but you might prefer iksar or troll for regen.
Last edited by Crede; 01-26-2021 at 05:28 PM..
Old 01-26-2021, 07:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I think it's pretty much ranger vs. pally for me. I don't like the downtime of an SK since they can't self heal...
Well mainly, on SK you wanna find a place to fear kite, which is tricky indoors, but if you use your shorter fear it's surprisingly doable. Also, Snare + FD is amazing for splitting.

But in general, do people really think SKs have more down time than Pally? I was killing non-stop on my SK with clarity, and even with out it, I bet they kill faster than Pally, which would balance out any extra medding.

As for ranger, speaking as a Ranger main, I don't suggest Ranger if you want to solo dungeon crawl and hate bow rotting.

I'd go Pally if you're not into SK, imho.
Closed Thread