Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman trivialize so much through totems.

WOTF was never 30 second duration. Resto druids are fucking amazing. Warlocks are fucking gods. You don't bring them for soulstone and imp buff and banish. You bring them because they shit on damage meters while providing utility. No alliance warlock gets dominated by an undead and says, "Must be because I'm Alliance!" WOTF is nice but it isn't what you're making it out to be.

Great guilds take hunters for tranquil shot. Bad guilds take hunters for cc and dps.

If you want an actual reference on how classes were in vanilla, go to the server's forums and read the class forums.
Yeah, WotF was originally 20 seconds which is still a long time and is effectively 30 seconds for non-shadow priests. Blacksmithing adds another 30 seconds to that. WotF is also incredibly useful for getting out of MC caps which are super imba throughout vanilla. I think Orc is under-rated, but there is a reason that over half the horde is undead.

You'll note in my post that I mentioned that those summaries were intended for BWL and MC in the appropriate era (read: not 1.12). I couldn't tell you how MC/BWL were in MC/BWL gear with Naxx Talents and Content Adjustments as we stopped running MC in AQ and stopped BWL (dem poor folks w/o trinkets) in Naxx. I could talk about AQ and Naxx in 1.12, but I do not know tons about min/maxxing MC/BWL in 1.12 as my efforts were focused elsewhere.

If you're looking at doing that content with Naxx Talent trees, you will come to different conclusions.

Anyhow, druids were bad because they scaled like shit. Innervate was a pretty good 31 point talent. However, druids lacked a talent to reduce the cast time of Healing Touch until 1.8 (Green Dragons and pals) which made their downranked +healing scale much worse than priests, paladins, or shaman. % Increase talents at the time only applied to the base value of the spell, they did not take +healing into account. HoTs (for everyone) scaled like shit and had issues with healing basically being a binary full HP or no HP game.

Hunters were incredibly strong early on when the benefit of attack was not normalized for weapon speed. Keep in mind during this era, aggro was the biggest factor limiting DPS and hunter had the best aggro drop in the game. Tank threat was basically capped at sunder spam w/ heroic strikes. This was especially true horde side where they didn't have salvation for 30% less aggro. Seriously, horde raiding guilds were (rightfully) bitching about salvation, they were willing to give up fucking windfury totem for a weakened version of a salvation totem. The protection tree doesn't get revamped from useless-beyond-15- points until BWL launch, and even then Shield Slam doesn't get it's massive aggro mod until ZG came out.

Warlocks (well, shadow bolt) scaled very well, but they were very much limited by aggro generation.

Again, to beat it into the ground some more, DPS aggro ceilings were a huge fucking deal. If you ask anyone who pushed for world firsts what the toughest encounter in MC or BWL was, they will all say Firemaw 1.0. That encounter perfectly illustrates the differences between vanilla raiding and early vanilla raiding. The winning strat was to have your healers and DPS suicide to Firemaw's AE at max range every 10% or so (obviously not all at once). You would keep 3 rezzers out of combat rezzing those max range corpses out of Firemaw's LoS. The end result was an aggro reset. Anyone who failed to do so would pull aggro and have a high chance of wiping the raid. For hunters, the fight was just business as usual.

I do agree though, the best place to learn about classes is to go to the server's class forums. My posts were a discussion of an era different than one the server will be set to. Even the 1.12 Guides for the Feenix servers will be off as there are differences between this server's 1.12 and Feenix's 1.12.
Last edited by pasi; 02-27-2015 at 06:10 PM..
Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Banned

I remember raiding vanilla Naxx on my geared SM/ruin warlock. With that gear, shadow bolt crit for a TON! I remember one shotting rogues in BG very easily.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

I played a shaman back in the day and want to go back to it again... but the more I think about it, the more I think shammies were nerfed by this point in the timeline... amirite? I remember 1.7 or so wrecking people with a big axe.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Kobold

I'd play if the people I wanted to play with went horde. Gosh, I need to make better friends.

Also, that PST lag doesn't sound too great.

Horde4life
Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Kobold

the hype is real.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Banned

2 hours and 18 mins till launch. get your hot pockets and porta potty ready.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Think it'll launch on time? Will it crash? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Banned

12 mins till launch.

will be rolling an undead mage.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

pom pyro scumbags [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-28-2015, 12:53 PM
Kobold

First post should have character names and faction so we all know where people went
Closed Thread