Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't totally correct.

I've charm exped on a necro from about level 20 up and it wasn't hard at all. Matter of fact, it was trivial.

The key is to do it outdoors, only charm blues, and have Jboots or SoW potions. You don't need to root anything if you can just outrun stuff to recast a charm or FD.

Of course, 55+ necro charming is best done in HS and then outrunning stuff isn't gonna work, but you have other tools by then.

From 2x (forgot... might be 20) to 30 you can go to LOIO, find the 4 static skele spawns in a ruin south of the zone and make a level / hour there until you hit 30. It's trivial and really hard to die.
Charm a skel, get others to beat him down to 5%, break charm, spam lifetap on ex-pet until it goes off, refresh GCD with jboots, FD. Wait for others to walk away far enough to be out of their aggro range, stand up, rince repeat.

There are a few roamers there but it isn't hard to see them (we're outdoors), it's easy to outrun them, and they can actually help beating your pet down if it's the last mob in the ruins.

You need zero gear for this other than Jboots and ideally a CoS.

At 30, if you have jboots, and only in this case (or sow pots), go to FoB and do the Sythrax's, same strategy applies. Only difference is that you have less room to play with, you'll need to strafe-run + Jboots in order to survive. They are also pretty fast. They have high MR so they will break charm a lot. That's fine, you only need charm to last like 5 seconds. Your pet will be within 5% of its HPs really fast because these mobs ain't no jokers.

You will be 40 in a day. Some HP's here will actually be helpful because the mobs will cast a lot of instacast small (30ish DD) nukes on you. They don't hurt too much but if you're untwinked you'll have to pay attention to that somewhat.

At 40 I suggest you go to CoM and start owning stuff there, it's necro charm paradise. Mostly undead mobs, outdoors, can use pathing to your advantage.

At 54 just go to HS and never leave the place. You can go there earlier, probably as early as ... 47 (don't think I ever saw a mob in the basement that resisted Beguile Undead which is capped at 46), but sometimes you'll have live mobs to kill without undead to charm and it will suck. Also having Deflux (lvl 54) is a big quality of life improvement.

As far as KC is concerned... Cleric and Shaman undead mobs... yuck. Kaesora also has plenty of undead clerics which I never found fun to exp off.
Hey Izmael, I am curious where you XP from 10 to 30, you seem to like off the beaten track paths for XP, what do you do on your lowbies?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Large Rat

Have you tried fear kiting specs in Feerrott?
Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Fire Giant

Guards in West Commons are almost always camped, but the Druids are a better choice imo. Right next to the rings so you can bum a PotG/Regen/SoW easily. They drop 2x FS and gems pretty frequently.

East Freeport guards are another option, near the wood elf's cart and pond. One static and two wandering. Avoid Kroon until you get higher.

Deputies in Rivervale are another easy option. Inside and outside RV are usually camped though.

Ry'Gorr fortress is always open and has tons of mobs for the high 30s. Just avoid going anywhere near the chief's room.

I think all of these options are less optimal than SK Treants from 30-36, but if you're already burned out of SK then try the above.

Killing guards is a big perq for being evil, double points for usually being AFK-friendly camps. Enjoy being a baddie I say.
Last edited by Crawdad; 12-05-2017 at 06:54 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Kobold

ToFS and Kaesora were great for charm xp...don't forget Lower Guk dead side is also great xp and super easy to charm
Old 12-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not sure if you mentioned if race or faction matter; but there's a bard South West corner of Western Plains of Karana. Seller in zone.
Avoid barbarian lady in little hut south side of #13 barbarian village. Kill Mistrana Two Notes and Ulrich McMannus

Old 12-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't totally correct.

I've charm exped on a necro from about level 20 up and it wasn't hard at all. Matter of fact, it was trivial.

The key is to do it outdoors, only charm blues, and have Jboots or SoW potions. You don't need to root anything if you can just outrun stuff to recast a charm or FD.

Of course, 55+ necro charming is best done in HS and then outrunning stuff isn't gonna work, but you have other tools by then.

From 2x (forgot... might be 20) to 30 you can go to LOIO, find the 4 static skele spawns in a ruin south of the zone and make a level / hour there until you hit 30. It's trivial and really hard to die.
Charm a skel, get others to beat him down to 5%, break charm, spam lifetap on ex-pet until it goes off, refresh GCD with jboots, FD. Wait for others to walk away far enough to be out of their aggro range, stand up, rince repeat.

There are a few roamers there but it isn't hard to see them (we're outdoors), it's easy to outrun them, and they can actually help beating your pet down if it's the last mob in the ruins.

You need zero gear for this other than Jboots and ideally a CoS.

At 30, if you have jboots, and only in this case (or sow pots), go to FoB and do the Sythrax's, same strategy applies. Only difference is that you have less room to play with, you'll need to strafe-run + Jboots in order to survive. They are also pretty fast. They have high MR so they will break charm a lot. That's fine, you only need charm to last like 5 seconds. Your pet will be within 5% of its HPs really fast because these mobs ain't no jokers.

You will be 40 in a day. Some HP's here will actually be helpful because the mobs will cast a lot of instacast small (30ish DD) nukes on you. They don't hurt too much but if you're untwinked you'll have to pay attention to that somewhat.

At 40 I suggest you go to CoM and start owning stuff there, it's necro charm paradise. Mostly undead mobs, outdoors, can use pathing to your advantage.

At 54 just go to HS and never leave the place. You can go there earlier, probably as early as ... 47 (don't think I ever saw a mob in the basement that resisted Beguile Undead which is capped at 46), but sometimes you'll have live mobs to kill without undead to charm and it will suck. Also having Deflux (lvl 54) is a big quality of life improvement.

As far as KC is concerned... Cleric and Shaman undead mobs... yuck. Kaesora also has plenty of undead clerics which I never found fun to exp off.
Question for you - is there any way to break charm if you don't have a CoS? Specifically asking for the LOIO skelly strategy above.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

U mean like: Goblin Gazughi Ring
Old 12-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjettta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Question for you - is there any way to break charm if you don't have a CoS? Specifically asking for the LOIO skelly strategy above.

Thanks!
Casting Invis or IVU will break charm, albeit not as quickly as a CoS or Gobby Ring. Racial hide also works, but only like 33% of the time.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey Izmael, I am curious where you XP from 10 to 30, you seem to like off the beaten track paths for XP, what do you do on your lowbies?
Bone chips + goblin ears to like 20. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If char faction disallows it, Kurn's tower has always been a highway for me from like 10 to 20.

From 20 to 30 lots of options open up and it will depend on your class really... For solo characters I like Najena because you can camp a single spawn and kill it every few minutes while doing work on the side, and it has uber ZEM.
Closed Thread