Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:31 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default A cool story... and a question

OK, I have a cool story & an honest question about the current state of red.

And before you all jump me in the typical eloquent r99 fashion, lets get it out of the way: You're right, I'm too soft for red. I'm a complete pussy who should crawl back to begging for a KC group on blue. And I'm definitely a loser IRL who can't find a woman, & youguys have all had sexual relations with my mom, etc. OK, you got me!

So now that that's out of the way, here's the story. I originally started on both blue & red some years back, before quitting for a while. Recently I have started playing red again because it's just something different. I don't mind the PVP, and the added dangers present a unique style of play. I have three chars that I play pretty casually. Not guilded, no real gear, highest level is 41 mnk. So basically I kind of suck. Although I have treant fists which I'm super proud of.

So anyway, the other day I try giants in RM. After killing a few I'm thinking 'sweet I might actually make some money!'. Next thing I know there's this uber-twinked Ogre SK with his foot completely up my ass. He is geared out, resists all my spells, etc. Basically I can't touch him. So he takes my lunch money.

Couple nights later I log in to my 30s chanter to see if I can get into a group in MM. I zone in & it's empty. After messing around with charm soloing for a few minutes I decide to leave. Near the zone line, I find that I am being suddenly & violently raped by this PMSing female human. Try to stun, tash, mez... but once again I stand no chance. I'm dead in roughly 3.8 seconds.

So today I log in to monk & bam, AC is up in SRo! Finally, some luck! So I go camp shadowed men til I get a rapier, and head for the bank. Grab 3250 gold (which is actually most of the money I've got) and start running. Well I guess I should have gone the southern route because as I pass KFC in SK I suddenly find myself rooted. Up runs this decked out ranger who proceeds to tear me a new one. I tried fighting back & quickly realized it was futile; once again I could barely touch my attacker.

So I'm sitting here and it dawns on me: I have not had a single PVP experience on this server in which I had anything resembling a fair chance. Each & every time I have fought another player, it's been an uber-twinked and/or deleveled character specifically designed to ruin my day.

So the question is: is this just what I should expect from Red at this point? Are all the high-level people bored to the point where they have twinked alts parked all around Norrath to grief us? If so, is the future of red99 anything other than a circle-jerk-for-pixels at the top?

And if not, can I borrow 3,250 gp from someone? :P
Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 AM
Large Rat

Were these days on Monday and Wednesdays?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OK, I have a cool story & an honest question about the current state of red.

And before you all jump me in the typical eloquent r99 fashion, lets get it out of the way: You're right, I'm too soft for red. I'm a complete pussy who should crawl back to begging for a KC group on blue. And I'm definitely a loser IRL who can't find a woman, & youguys have all had sexual relations with my mom, etc. OK, you got me!

So now that that's out of the way, here's the story. I originally started on both blue & red some years back, before quitting for a while. Recently I have started playing red again because it's just something different. I don't mind the PVP, and the added dangers present a unique style of play. I have three chars that I play pretty casually. Not guilded, no real gear, highest level is 41 mnk. So basically I kind of suck. Although I have treant fists which I'm super proud of.

So anyway, the other day I try giants in RM. After killing a few I'm thinking 'sweet I might actually make some money!'. Next thing I know there's this uber-twinked Ogre SK with his foot completely up my ass. He is geared out, resists all my spells, etc. Basically I can't touch him. So he takes my lunch money.

Couple nights later I log in to my 30s chanter to see if I can get into a group in MM. I zone in & it's empty. After messing around with charm soloing for a few minutes I decide to leave. Near the zone line, I find that I am being suddenly & violently raped by this PMSing female human. Try to stun, tash, mez... but once again I stand no chance. I'm dead in roughly 3.8 seconds.

So today I log in to monk & bam, AC is up in SRo! Finally, some luck! So I go camp shadowed men til I get a rapier, and head for the bank. Grab 3250 gold (which is actually most of the money I've got) and start running. Well I guess I should have gone the southern route because as I pass KFC in SK I suddenly find myself rooted. Up runs this decked out ranger who proceeds to tear me a new one. I tried fighting back & quickly realized it was futile; once again I could barely touch my attacker.

So I'm sitting here and it dawns on me: I have not had a single PVP experience on this server in which I had anything resembling a fair chance. Each & every time I have fought another player, it's been an uber-twinked and/or deleveled character specifically designed to ruin my day.

So the question is: is this just what I should expect from Red at this point? Are all the high-level people bored to the point where they have twinked alts parked all around Norrath to grief us? If so, is the future of red99 anything other than a circle-jerk-for-pixels at the top?

And if not, can I borrow 3,250 gp from someone? :P
As a former red99 player the bolded part of your thread = yes.

You will get to 60, get pixels and feel so unfulfilled because there are literally no requirements to attain anything on red99 other than showing up.

9/10 veterans left are diseased in the membrane and the rest are just players on the revolving pixel door that is red99.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
that is because EQ servers weren't meant to last this long

the people with most time have top gear on red, some of them quit, some of them remain and shit on lesser geared / new people, which is why population is low

on blue noone gets griefed off the server, so the high end is extremely bloated

pick your poison
Old 03-24-2019, 09:39 AM
Aviak

Default I think the server is more healthy than it's been.

I've been playing around 3 years, with a decent break after one year.

My condolences. I did not have this experience when leveling my warrior to 53 recently. There used to be a guy in MM a lot who had deleveled wearing ToV gear but I don't think he plays anymore.

I would say join a guild such as sanctuary and you'd be far more likely to have a sow buff in which case you could flee a bad matchup.

Also, I will buy your MQ for 1500 plat plus a "knuckle duster" for your monk.

Regarding White Knights impression of the server, I wonder if he isn't perhaps projecting a bit. Im not sure what conditions would make him feel as though he'd "earned" the drops. The gear comes from pve and the only difference in that respect, from the blue server is that you have access to the mobs more frequently. In the instance they are camped, you have pvp as an option to force their availability. Otherwise, you are "deserving" of the drops simply if you can conquer the challenge Brad set for you.

I have personally only had 2 instances where I was pvped, by someone vastly more geared, griefed after, and do not feel the server is an unhealthy place. The people who have left must have in fact been most of the derelicts because I honestly have a good time playing. Sometimes you are outgunned, which makes movement buffs/lev important as a means for taking fights on your terms, other times you stay and have a good fight.

Just rolled outta bed; hope this makes sense.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Sub 100 pop on eq velious pvp server is super healthy. I might play today with tov geared toon.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no one will grief you all those type of players are long gone

you will enjoy increased exp and no competition for raid mobs and will gear up faster and have more fun.
Agreed and that pop is strong almost 100 players!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Fire Giant

Here comes all the crybabies who don't play R99 with their two cents.

Yup, be sure and listen to the these guys. Lol.

"Back when I used to play...."

I'd ask in game any questions, these forums trolls won't/can't help you.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Banned

Lol stupid bitch died like a bitch
Old 03-25-2019, 05:57 AM
Fire Giant

I think you were especially unlucky. But those people do exist, i have met them. Don't know why they repeat that behavior that long... I would be bored by it pretty fast. What's the fun killing noobs with your uber gear? It's almost like those PvPers (the deleveled or raid geared low level ones) really do not like a challenge.
Closed Thread