Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Large Bat

Default Fresh Linux install - no servers listed

I go through process of installing Mint Linux and Everquest Titanium edition and I get it to start up and bring me to the login page. I even successfully login in and I get presented with a blank server screen. I looked in the eqhost.ini file to make sure that I have server.eqemulator.net:5998 as the server, but still nothing. What else could cause this issue?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

I play from Linux Mint and have run into this issue. In short, you need either a VPN ($5/month, plus you can download bit torrents safely) or this free program that a player made: https://github.com/Zaela/p99-login-middlemand. The latter is great, except it breaks after each patch, and you have to manually fix a file.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:19 PM
Planar Protector

I'm not playing on Linux, but isn't the loginserver supposed to be login.eqemulator.net:5998 ?

telnet server.eqemulator.net 5998
Connecting To server.eqemulator.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 5998: Connect failed

-Mcoy
Old 06-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Planar Protector

I've got this in my eqhost.txt (I don't have an eqhost.ini):

Code:
[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rbug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I go through process of installing Mint Linux and Everquest Titanium edition and I get it to start up and bring me to the login page. I even successfully login in and I get presented with a blank server screen. I looked in the eqhost.ini file to make sure that I have server.eqemulator.net:5998 as the server, but still nothing. What else could cause this issue?
I bet you are logging in over wi-fi, correct? I had the same problem, there is one small app that fix this (or Ethernet connection to your router). Few days ago I posted the same question. That fix app fixed it for me:

https://github.com/Zaela/p99-login-middlemand

Check this post:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...5&postcount=10

Before this fix, I had to log in & log out between 15 and 30+ times to finally get list of servers. You download the script, follow instructions from upper link, you have to compile it then run it within folder where you have this script before you run: wine eqgame.exe patchme

[EDIT]
Loramin already answered, initially I've only seen his VPN 5$ solution, didn't see the rest.
About breaking a file and fixing it after every patch. Just make a copy of it, save it somewhere then after every patch, copy it into the game folder.
Last edited by pivo; 06-07-2020 at 08:46 PM..
Old 06-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Large Bat

Sorry about that. The file is eqhosts.txt and it has
Quote:
[LoginServer]
Host=login.eqemulator.net:5998
I moved to the same Wifi as the original computer. I will do some minor tweaks to get an icon to work for startup and then pursue your VPN option.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Large Bat

I have an update the the problem. For whatever reason I couldn't get the application to compile even though the files are there so I couldn't test out the UDP loss theory. However, I directly connected the network instead of using wireless and I got the server list. So this afternoon, I will pull a cable from the room that I keep the router to the room I keep this computer and the problem should be solved. Thanks everyone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-09-2020, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Does Linux use a different MTU size for wifi or something? Wondering if it's causing the packets to get split apart and that breaks it?

-Mcoy
Old 06-09-2020, 10:21 AM
Large Bat

I haven't looked at that option. The thing I see is that I have about 60% of the original signal strength from all 3 of the my wireless access points, and if the application is that brittle, I'm better off just hard-wiring the PC. There is the other option of trying a different wireless card. I can rob one of my Raspberry Pis and do it just for shucks and giggles.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:51 AM
Aviak

I also run EQ on linux. The default MTU is 1500 for both wired and wireless.

The fact that switching to wired solves the problem for wat3rbug suggests to me that the issue is exactly the one which p99-login-middlemand was designed to solve. I have used this tool for years to solve the blank server select problem and it works great.

I'm curious the issue you're encountering when attempting to compile this tool. For me, 'git clone' and 'make' just works on Ubuntu 18.04.