Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 07-14-2022, 05:31 PM
Banned

Default Any advice for a L25 druid?

So I'm at the giant fort in WW and I have 1 DoT to my name and no pet.

Every time I kill a giant I have to med to full so it's a very dull slow process without any mana regen.

I tried face tanking with DS and got owned.

If it goes tits up, which it does, there's no FD so it's gate/run.

Meanwhile, the L23 Iksar necro next to me is killing 3 giants to my 1.

I tried the woolly mammoth but just ended up chasing nothingburgers.

I'm also human so I'm blind as a bat and no racial bonuses.

Is this how it's supposed to be or am I doing it wrong?

I like the ports but with how slow it is I started thinking about shaman with a decent weapon but I'm being told that to be a half decent shaman I need 300kpp, guise and to be ogre but ogres are frikkin huge and I'm poor and guises stopped dropping.
Last edited by Elfminster; 07-14-2022 at 05:47 PM..
Old 07-14-2022, 06:01 PM
Aviak

Shaman ogres comes in XS size at lvl19
Old 07-14-2022, 06:10 PM
Kobold

I have never played a druid (well I have a lvl 12 but that does not count), but comparing yourself to a necro in a big open zone where fear kiting is a fairly safe option probably isn't the best. Isn't quad kiting lower level mobs, similar to wizard, the best option for druids? LOIO could supply the war type mobs in high numbers to round up.

On a side note, I took my Ench to Woolly Mammoths a while ago too. A run-in with tainted mammoth and a second run-in with dark assassin far away from his tower made me leave that area.
Balamorm<ALS> - Barbarian Rogue
Deetith - Iksar Monk
Last edited by Garnaak; 07-14-2022 at 06:16 PM..
Old 07-14-2022, 06:52 PM
Sarnak

I remember when EverQuest was a game about grouping.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaqua [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman ogres comes in XS size at lvl19
In HHK?
Old 07-14-2022, 08:09 PM
Planar Protector

My advice is to figure out what you actually want to do in the game. Why did you pick a druid? why did you pick a human? if an iksar necro is killing 3 times what you are in the mid twenties, they are losing 50% exp on every kill, on top of their massive exp penalty for being a necro/iksar. they will get more loot but not level much faster than you.

shaman are also complete dogshit 1-30ish. you need to stop admiring other peoples grass and take care of your own lawn.
Old 07-14-2022, 10:37 PM
Orc

Can skip kunark, to many hp on the mobs, at 25 I normally killed bull elephants , or Aviak rooks, Centars, in SK, or Wooly mammoth in everfrost peaks, Around 28 ish you can start killing the gnolls, and save the scrolls to turn in.

you can also kill the drakes in rathe mountains at 20 on the map, 6 min repop and do not assist, there are also the 3 or 4 lvl 22 skeletons in Najena around the pool to Najena room 9 min repop, nice camp, all solo just root nuke,

Do not buy immolate unless they fixed it in the last patch it does no damage.

34 to 39 quad the tesch mas gnolls outside paw with ensnare, and lighting strike keep turning in the scrolls 1 at a time for bonus exp, at 39 most of these go green, then you can move to Ice clad, quadding dire wold, dervish, or snow cougars, this will keep you busy until 44,

then can move to Specs in OOT, or bloodgills to 51, or kill the ulthork and walrus in Eastern wastes .
Last edited by Dirkdaring; 07-14-2022 at 10:46 PM..
Old 07-15-2022, 07:22 AM
Planar Protector

Practice charming crocs in oasis or animals elsewhere. Can stick near a ZL for safe, easy resets for when things go tits-up. The basic strategy is to charm an animal, have it attack another mob close to its level / strength, break the charm pet before it dies / kills the target, then root / kill both (now low hp) mobs. Easier said than done at first, of course...and I'd be happy to help you with more advanced details if you're willing to try.

This will set you up with the skillset needed to reap the rewards of the best zone / area / ZEM in the game for your 30s: Cazic Thule gator pits.

You will absolutely fly through those levels. From there, take those learned skills elsewhere and keep charm killing them animals. By the time you hit 50 you will have the path of SolB ----> Chardok / Bear Pits mastered before you even set foot in the zones.

Quadding is stupid, boring, and doesn't make you a better player.

If you can master druid charming, you're all set for your next (and far more powerful) alt(s): enc and/or necro.
Last edited by Toxigen; 07-15-2022 at 07:41 AM..
Old 07-15-2022, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Practice charming crocs in oasis or animals elsewhere. Can stick near a ZL for safe, easy resets for when things go tits-up. The basic strategy is to charm an animal, have it attack another mob close to its level / strength, break the charm pet before it dies / kills the target, then root / kill both (now low hp) mobs. Easier said than done at first, of course...and I'd be happy to help you with more advanced details if you're willing to try.

This will set you up with the skillset needed to reap the rewards of the best zone / area / ZEM in the game for your 30s: Cazic Thule gator pits.

You will absolutely fly through those levels. From there, take those learned skills elsewhere and keep charm killing them animals. By the time you hit 50 you will have the path of SolB ----> Chardok / Bear Pits mastered before you even set foot in the zones.

If you can master druid charming, you're all set for your next (and far more powerful) alt(s): enc and/or necro.
Toxigen giving great advice here .... well up until this last part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Animal charming and quadding are the two fastest ways to get XP as a Druid on P99. Both are awesome in their own way, but quadding really isn't as viable until 45 (when the Luminescent Staff starts working).

Before then, you can root/rot or join a group if you want variety, but if you want levels charming is the way to go. Go pay the "iron price" for a Goblin Gazhuhi Ring (ie. go camp the Sarnak Courier for something like 7 hours): it's doable at 25 (you might even still get some XP doing it), and it's the only item you need to charm well.

Once you have that, you can animal charm all the way to 60 if you want, though again I'd encourage you to explore quadding at 45 or so. https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide (click on Druid) has lots of suggestions of where to go, including two (full page) guides on the gators in Cazic Thule that Toxigen mentioned.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Toxigen giving great advice here .... well up until this last part:

Animal charming and quadding are the two fastest ways to get XP as a Druid on P99. Both are awesome in their own way, but quadding really isn't as viable until 45 (when the Luminescent Staff starts working).

Before then, you can root/rot or join a group if you want variety, but if you want levels charming is the way to go. Go pay the "iron price" for a Goblin Gazhuhi Ring (ie. go camp the Sarnak Courier for something like 7 hours): it's doable at 25 (you might even still get some XP doing it), and it's the only item you need to charm well.

Once you have that, you can animal charm all the way to 60 if you want, though again I'd encourage you to explore quadding at 45 or so. https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide (click on Druid) has lots of suggestions of where to go, including two (full page) guides on the gators in Cazic Thule that Toxigen mentioned.
Well I do have the cash for that ring.

I'm just used to having total control over pets after playing the pet classes so this chaotic charming is a shock to the system.

I've yet to have a good session with it.