Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 10-11-2022, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

This post is a little old (sorry) but I think these kinds of discussions are interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would your stat allocation be for a normie who probably won't hit 60 and just wants to group / duo with a friend here and there?

I picked troll shammy.
First thing to look at is the starting stats:

Iksar
STA: 75
WIS: 90

Ogre
STA: 127
WIS: 77

Troll
STA: 114
WIS: 70

Barbarian
STA: 100
WIS: 80

Let's get the easy one out of the way... Iksar start with really low stamina but also with the highest wisdom. I always go full stamina on Iksar shaman which gives a total of,

STA: 100
WIS: 95

Ogre is the other extreme with 127 stamina and 77 wisdom. In my experience if you spend heavily into stamina you'll just end up equipping a bit more wisdom gear anyways. So for Ogre I'll do the opposite and go for max wisdom at the start (25 wis 5 sta).

Also worth noting that Ogres start with 70 agility; some people like to put 5 points into agility but I think this tends to be a waste and I'd rather just cast an agi buff on myself until I'm at 75 agi from gear.

STA: 132
WIS: 102

Troll is similar to Ogre but with a worse stat spread. They have the worst starting wisdom so I also tend to go +25 wisdom and +5 stamina for Trolls.

STA: 119

Which leaves us with Barbarian, which are somewhere in the middle. I think this makes it more difficult to decisively choose the "best" stat spread and that's probably why the thread was initially about Barbarians.

I played a Barbarian shaman on blue many years ago (during Kunark) and I felt that 100 stamina was a bit low so I went with +25 stamina and +5 wisdom. I also ended up raiding quite a bit although I expected to only play casually when I initially created the character. The spread worked out about perfectly; I'm around 225 stamina with Riotous Health + Primal Essence. If I had continued raiding into Velious I likely would have run up against the stamina cap, but very few players are going to get that sort of gear.

So generally, I think I'd still recommend the stamina-focused spread for Barbarians, but if you think that you're in Velious and expect to get pretty good gear you can do something like a 15/15 split:

STA: 115

Which puts us pretty close to the Troll starting stats.

I think the tl;dr here is that while we can buff our own stamina by quite a bit, stamina is also a bit better for us and it's more difficult to find on gear compared to wisdom.

You're probably not going wrong as long as you're putting your points into some combination of stamina and wisdom, with the exception of Iksar who really should go +25 sta +5 wis.

I've found that it's possible to both focus too much on HP (neglecting mana) and to focus too much on mana (neglecting HP). But once you have a large enough mana pool investing in HP is going to have a bit of a better payoff in combat.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

I still say go wis. I'm cheap on my shaman and she still is almost max sta
Old 10-12-2022, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still say go wis. I'm cheap on my shaman and she still is almost max sta
Yup. WIS is harder to max generally speaking. Velious has a lot of STA gear.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Sarnak

Should you consider that at one point there should/may be a wis softcap of 200?

It is alot easier to get to 200 wis than 255.