Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Sarnak

Default Worst death loops? Tales from the crypt

Sup guys! Has anyone bound themselves an in iffy spot and then paid the ultimate price with a death loop? Perhaps paired with being too inebriated or sleep-deprived?

I'm someone that is super-paranoid about bind locations, death loops, going LD, etc.

**sorry for typo in title**
Last edited by stebbins99; 08-01-2019 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Apologies for typo in title
Old 08-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Kobold

Not a death loop per say, but I have unintentionally shut down Blackburrow as a young half-elf warrior.

Tried to rally a group to slay Varsoon, a human necro w/pet. We wiped and some of us trained him to Blackburrow. Once inside, we caused/had a train on the other side of the zoneline as well. Zoned it but Varsoon and his gang of skeletons were still on the other side and agro'd/killed anyone passing through or trying to retreive their corpses.

This was <1 year into live, so I don't think we had (or knew of) /corpse for dragging.

Many an elf and barbarian life was lost that day.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Banned

I death looped outside ToV one drunken repop Saturday night.

Fun times. Thanks to whoever petitioned the GMs to get me logged out.

I only had to do about half of 59 over again.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:14 PM
Sarnak

In classic I death looped in some scarab/beetle room during a raid i went on to fight naggy, I was a level 30-40 druid (my friend said I could come), I bound in what I thought was a safe room but it had already been cleared by the raid force ahead of me, I never even got to see the dragon before I got agro from something and died, and then death looped in that room until a GM saved me. I was very young at the time and it was probably the first time I felt true, soul crushing loss and desperation, fun times!

Amualia - Level 59 Dark-Elf Cleric
Maruki - Level 23 Iksar BONEKNIGHT
Lorelai - Level 54 High-Elf Enchanter
Old 08-01-2019, 12:14 PM
Sarnak

Hah, that's a great tale ineubis! Varsoon came up recently in a thread about npcs ruining your day. Trains on both sides of a zoneline sounds hilarious, esp that early in live.

And glad that someone petitioned for you Kjs, that sounds like a nightmare
Old 08-01-2019, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Not a death loop per say
In keeping with the other post about grammar and werds, I'd just like to mention that it is actually 'per se', a Latin phrase meaning "by itself" or "in itself". Totally understandable why people think it's per say, I did too until I found out.

And yeah, Varsoon used to scare me spitless as a young ranger on live.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Aviak

I seem to remember my first time going in plane of fear in the old days somewhere around 2000. I had a cleric around level 47. There was about 50-60 people sitting at the portal ready to go in and do some raiding.

They had what they called "rabbits" if I remember it right it was bards, monks, sk's anyone that could run fast or feign death or just volunteered for suicide duty and they would try to train the npc's away from the zone-in spot.

So after the rabbits went in, they told everybody to go inside and upon entering fear they said turn left and run to the corner, die or camp at this "CC" (corpse corner) and they told the clerics to bind there because they said it was 'safe'.

It wasn't safe. So 5 mins after everyone was dead or feigned they told the clerics to start logging back in their bind spots in the corpse corner. Well, there was mobs that would randomly roam towards the corner and of course they aggro 2 miles away. And thus began a long series of making big piles of naked poofing corpses over and over and lost a couple levels and I had to wait for days for one of the big guilds to actually break and clear it out. It was pretty miserable not being able to play my only character for that long.

But after that, nobody ever tried to break fear using the CC again (they kept saying they changed the pathing or some such shit) so from then on, people ran to the North Wall and bind and camped out and it worked better.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkona [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I seem to remember my first time going in plane of fear in the old days somewhere around 2000. I had a cleric around level 47. There was about 50-60 people sitting at the portal ready to go in and do some raiding.

They had what they called "rabbits" if I remember it right it was bards, monks, sk's anyone that could run fast or feign death or just volunteered for suicide duty and they would try to train the npc's away from the zone-in spot.

So after the rabbits went in, they told everybody to go inside and upon entering fear they said turn left and run to the corner, die or camp at this "CC" (corpse corner) and they told the clerics to bind there because they said it was 'safe'.

It wasn't safe. So 5 mins after everyone was dead or feigned they told the clerics to start logging back in their bind spots in the corpse corner. Well, there was mobs that would randomly roam towards the corner and of course they aggro 2 miles away. And thus began a long series of making big piles of naked poofing corpses over and over and lost a couple levels and I had to wait for days for one of the big guilds to actually break and clear it out. It was pretty miserable not being able to play my only character for that long.

But after that, nobody ever tried to break fear using the CC again (they kept saying they changed the pathing or some such shit) so from then on, people ran to the North Wall and bind and camped out and it worked better.
Hahah holy crap!
Old 08-01-2019, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Had a similar situation when they put that beastlord(berserker?) Epic mob in PoFear that had a named sprite spawn randomly while killing sprites. He spawned within aggro distance of the portal during the break-in.

We weren't ready for him. His aoe mezz killed the break-in party. We called our ally guild for help. They died. We called in the 2nd tier guilds. They all charged in like they normally would for a fear break. Died. Finally the big dogs were called in. The first bunch died and were Pissed. At us. Heh. They finally formalized a raid to save the server from this fear fiasco. I think after 6 hours we finally got our corpses back. It was a frustrating rush of a night. We didn't do west wall breaks after that.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 08-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Sarnak

in 2017 i death looped outside tov in WL for an entire night. went from full 60 to 1/3 into 55. When I logged on the next day there was only 1 rezzable corpse and my clothed corpse. The rest of the corpses were buried by GM's probably because they were causing enormous amounts of lag.

tl;dr 100% 60 to 33 % 55