Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:46 PM
Fire Giant

Using early Lull is like investing in stocks.
Only use money you truly don't need.
If your plan A is for lull to fail then by all means use it, you could be surprised [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] if it's your only chance to farm a camp, change camp.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think you get any kind of success message with the lull lines. It was meant to be a bit obscure. I don't ever recall seeing one with my enchanter.
When you cast there is a message. Either a resist message (you'll know its a crit resist if the mob charges at you) or the "X looks less aggressive" for lull message. Depending on your windows and filters you might not see these on your screen, but they are there in the game.

Lull line spells have three variables basically:
the max level you can effect with the spell,
the size of the reduced aggro radius,
and the duration of the lull.

Lull won't ever completely eliminate the aggro radius, so if you pull two mobs near each other or if one paths near (or over) the lulled mob it will still aggro. Due to pathing issues this usually means learning how mobs can be lulled/pulled from tight areas on a trial and error basis when you learn a new camp.

It is slightly more complicated than this if you really want to get fully into it, but that is basically what 95% of players in EQ need to know about how lull works.

Considering the camp you were at it sounds like either you got a critical resist --- maybe using a spell that can't land on mobs the level of your target even --- or they pathed near each other after the cast.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:46 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is literally zero math, and this is arguably one of the simplest mechanics in everquest to comprehend, short of auto attack.

Your lull's at low level suck. Good luck using lull or soothe for much at all.
Calm is when they become good. Godly even.

End thread.
There is a series of lull spells, ranging by level and effect. Basically as a paladin you don't have access to the good ones until high level. Also take into consideration that cha and level will contribute to spell resist chances.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think you get any kind of success message with the lull lines. It was meant to be a bit obscure. I don't ever recall seeing one with my enchanter.
[Sun Mar 11 20:36:38 2018] You begin casting Lull.
[Sun Mar 11 20:36:40 2018] A drolvarg sentry looks less aggressive.

There was a big test of the lull lines in classic on the eqcleric site, think the result was might as well go with the lowest version if I remember correctly.

I used to have a +cha set as a dorf cleric back then in my bags for when I had to go from one end of kael to the other.

This site talked about it and ref to some old posts

http://eqclassic.org/forums/viewtopi...9&t=639&p=9276
-Taken-Taken II-

"I may not agree with what you say, but to your death I will defend your right to say it."
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
"To be able to think freely, a man must be certain that no consequence will follow whatever he writes."

CromCruach on Blue - Aurgelmirx on Green
Last edited by Crom; 03-14-2018 at 07:48 AM..
Old 03-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Planar Protector

I've had pretty good luck with Soothe so far. I'd say 75% success rate. I'll have to see what my CHA is, I don't think its great.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

So as already mentioned, critical resists will cause agro. All resists will display a resist message but you won't know it's critical unless they start running at you. Charisma is supposed to impact the success of landing a lull type spell.

The line of spells going from Lull to Pacify progressively make the agro radius of a mob smaller. None, completely eliminate agro, so take that into account when pulling mobs or lulling to run past them. Don't pull right through or run directly through mobs you lulled.

My experience from leveling my Paladin is that you will get more resists at lower levels but it isn't necessarily because of the spell you used. In general you see more resists on blue creatures at lower levels because the level disparity isn't as large between you and blue mobs as it is when you are at higher levels. Expect to get resists and be prepared to root.

People have said that higher level spells get resisted less, I don't think that is necessarily true. However, they do reduce agro radius further so take that into consideration when determining if you want to spend the extra mana for the higher level spell.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 03-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Kobold

As others have said plan on running. I used lull on live back in 2000 and I've used it here and it seems like the critical resist chance is WAY too high here (200+ Cha enc here). The resist rate even seems high to me but given the high crit fail rate I'll admit I don't push my luck much.

That being said lull is fine but if the mobs are within like the height of a human distance apart you will definitely catch aggro. Might be as far as twice the height of a human. So yeah good spell when it works definitely will fail tons (critically) and if the mobs are too close to start or path too close due to the pull you will get adds
Old 03-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

I think the 'ambivalent' message os for necros undead lull. You should see 'blahblah seems less aggressive'.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So in the chart here assume that you as the 'luller' are #5 and trying to break the room that contains mobs 1,2,3,4

things to consider:

If you Crit resist off the bat they are all 4 coming regardless of anything

If you lul a front one and then crit resist a back one, most like the back one will path over the front one and agro.

So in the below situation the thing to do would be Lul #2, then #1, then #4, then #3

This way if you get off lulz on mob #1 and #2 and then crit resist on #3, only mobs #3 and #4 will come.

If you started your lul rotation with #3, then #4, then #1, then you got a crit resist on #2, most likely you would agro the door mobs and #2, #3, and #4 would all come.

So being smart about the order you lul help. General rule for me is start the furthest away and work your way forward to minimize Crit resist heart attack moments.
Generally what happens is normal resist, normal resist then critical resist. I've mostly stayed outdoors here so the room model isn't quite accurate but yeah I lull the furthest away first. Sometimes I'll get a single success and then start hitting resists. At this point though if I get one resist I'm likely to bail on it because the risk just isn't worth it given how likely the critical resist seems to be.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiczar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've mostly stayed outdoors here so the room model isn't quite accurate
remove the walls from the picture. everything else same.