Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

Default Roots and zoning/logging

Was it a classic mechanic for roots (and snares) to last their normal durations even when the caster had logged out or zoned? I can't remember if using roots/snares to keep mobs at zonelines as a splitting tactic was something from classic or just from early blue or what.

On green currently, for sure, roots TEND to break early if the caster zones or logs (actually I guess I've only been logging, not zoning, so I'm not sure if there is a difference there), even when the mobs are greens and MR debuffed.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 02-10-2020 at 09:51 AM..
Old 02-10-2020, 10:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was it a classic mechanic for roots (and snares) to last their normal durations even when the caster had logged out or zoned? I can't remember if using roots/snares to keep mobs at zonelines as a splitting tactic was something from classic or just from early blue or what.

On green currently, for sure, roots TEND to break early if the caster zones or logs (actually I guess I've only been logging, not zoning, so I'm not sure if there is a difference there), even when the mobs are greens and MR debuffed.
Possibly? At one point in classic you were able to buff mobs and give them gear to equip, and the buffs would last even if you left the zone IIRC, so I would assume root and snare would've operated similarly?

On Blue, Snare/Ensnare seemed to last the duration even when you zoned, because I would have to zone occasionally while quadding and would come back and those mobs would still be Ensnared.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Skeleton

I definitely recall snare persisting after zoning out. It was a common tactic to snare a mob and camp/zone to split multiples. I tried doing this with root on my shaman the other day and I thought it was odd that the roots kept breaking before I came back, but chalked it up to RNG.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:10 PM
Planar Protector

Roots should persist when logging out or zoning

HUGE difference in game play when you root on P99
Old 02-10-2020, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I definitely recall snare persisting after zoning out. It was a common tactic to snare a mob and camp/zone to split multiples. I tried doing this with root on my shaman the other day and I thought it was odd that the roots kept breaking before I came back, but chalked it up to RNG.
Have you tried it with Ensnare or Snare? It definitely persisted on Blue through zoning because I used to use it to quad kite guards in East Freeport in the newbie yard in the 40s. I'd hit the lower ones in the city with Ensnare, pull them through the gate guards into the yard, and then zone to clear the aggro on the high level gate guards. When I came back, the gate guards would have moved back to their positions but the Ensnared ones would still be moving slowly and I could round them up.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Skeleton

No, I don't have access to a snare on my shammy. Could be the case that snares and roots are treated differently, and I can't really speak for how root worked on classic since I would have been using snare then.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:03 PM
Kobold

Snare persisted upon zoning on blue. Been a while since I played there, but in doing the BB>FP truespirit loop for sham epic I just had my druid taxi snare the guy so he wouldn't roam anywhere. Anyone who's ever done it knows it takes 100 turn ins or whatever, so snaring him then porting to BB, getting the gem and hating back to him in the same spot every time was really nice.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:09 PM
Planar Protector

Ensnare has a minimum duration unlike roots
Old 02-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ensnare has a minimum duration unlike roots
Root should have at least a chance to persist on zoning/camping

it feels almost to have 0 chance at this on p99
Old 02-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Root should have at least a chance to persist on zoning/camping

it feels almost to have 0 chance at this on p99
Yeah I would think if the character is still online at least then root should still be determining it's break on the RNG rolls
Closed Thread