Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Skeleton

Default Squished text while playing in windowed

Basically when playing in windowed mode, the bottom line of the chat text is cut off towards the bottom, almost making it illegible giving it a "squished" appearance. Anybody know about this or have a solution other than 'play in fullscreen'?
Old 12-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Move the UI windows.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

in your .ini make sure you keep the X Y in proportion. eg: dont go 1920 X 500, keep it reasonably scaled: 1600 x 900 or something
Old 11-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Large Rat

chemdawg, did you ever solve this issue? I am having the same problem.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Fire Giant

You probably have the window too big for the screen. If you resize it it to fit so it doesn't overhang the screen the problem goes away.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Kobold

The problem comes from windows itself; it fits the desktop resolution, but to windows, the blue bar at the top "counts" as part of the desktop resolution, when only the window's *contents* (ie. eq itself) should, so windows has to strip a few horizontal lines out of the contents of the window to "make it fit" into the desktop resolution with blue bar included. The human eye can ignore it normally, but with text, it's really obvious ("squished" text) The fix to this is to use a windows management app that strips the borders (blue title bar at top, gray border around rest) from the window before stretching it to the full desktop resolution. I use the one popular with the Steam community, aptly named WindowedBorderlessGaming.exe. As a window mgmt. proggie, you simply tell it what window(s) you want it to manage (EQ, with the F3 button) and from then on, you get all of he advantages of fullscreen (including no squished text, or windows borders) while at the same time all the advantages of windowed mode (timer/voicechat overlays work, alt tabbing is instant, no getting yanked from fullscreen to windowed mode when alt-tabbing, and no ResetDevice() crashes from videomode switching fullscreen to windowed.

Pro-tip: any issue I ever had with the app, was fixed by either hitting the F4 key (the "go fullscreen now" button) or just alt-tabbing to another window and back, making the app "re-fullscreen" (what I do, b/c sometimes it leaves the taskbar at the bottom on me, and I'm a purist, hehe). GL

FYI: WindowedBorderlessGaming.exe and WinEQ2 sometimes fight each other for window control. I don't use it so cannot be of much help, just noticed it when I reco'd this to a buddy, and it only half worked for him with WinEQ2 running, (which he didn't need anymore)
Last edited by talian21; 11-23-2015 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: for to mention wineq2
Old 11-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Sarnak

I play windowed mode all the time and this happens with me, although horizontally it seems to be every 80-100 pixels, there is 1 horizontal line that is cut out. I have a feeling it may be related to what I have my screen dpi set to, not confirmed yet though.

It's something I just live with as it isn't a game breaker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]