Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Aviak

Angry Here's a tough one.. "No 3D devices found".. Windows via Parallels

Alright, here's a tough one for you guys..

I've been using a Macbook Pro to play EQ, until this morning the logic board decided to shit out on me. So I figured hey, what the hell.. Let's give Parallels on the iMac a whirl.

I get this error message:

"No 3D devices found."

Troubleshooting for that includes going into Direct X and enabling full 3D acceleration via the display tab, but the button is grayed out and it says this is unavailable. I am ASSUMING this is because I lack a driver for my graphics card.

But that's cool, just install the driver.. BUT here's the issue: My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 4670. They DO make a driver for this for Windows XP, but for some reason it keeps failing to install and says I am missing some hardware component.

Do any of you computer nerds have ANY idea about what to do in this case? I know Parallels didn't just make this software to run Windows on it and just straight up not make it compatible with graphics card drivers.. So now what? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to deakolt

What hardware component does it say you're missing?

Bulltrue
Deakolt
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Aviak

It doesn't exactly specify. I'm starting to think it's a Parallels-related issue where it is making my specific graphics card incompatible with such an outdated version of Direct X, and maybe I need to try running Bootcamp or vmware instead. I just don't see how Parallels would work for anyone as a gaming platform if it has incompatibility issues with Direct X vs. graphics cards.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Fire Giant

parallels is supposed to support directX so it definitely sounds odd. your graphics card is known to work under linux, so there's always that option. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Aviak

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get EverQuest working when I played it on Bootcamp on my MBP. I'm afraid it wouldn't work at all if I ran it on Linux.

Perhaps if I installed it on Windows 7 and ran it in compatibility mode? Does that work?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Aviak

Feachie, I feel like we met on the OOT boat once.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Fire Giant

I don't see why not. i'm on vista 64 running through compatibility mode, not 100% sure about 7 though.

and we did. we're also in the same guild :P
Old 07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to deakolt

gaming on Parallels is a massive struggle, even if you do get your video card working with it you won't get anything near the performance you'd expect. Even when I had a MacBook Pro with 8GB of Ram and 512MB Video Card, TF2/League of Legends both ran like shit as compared to native Windows or Bootcamp.

I also tried some VMWare (CrossOverGames is the one I remember but I tried several others) and those ran even worse than parallels.

I thunk your best bet is Boot Camp-

PS EQ on Windows 7 runs like a charm

Bulltrue
Deakolt
Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feachie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't see why not. i'm on vista 64 running through compatibility mode, not 100% sure about 7 though.

LOL
Old 07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feachie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Peace Pipe is huge as fuck and I rarely pay attention to guild chat while in Mumble. Probably why I didn't realize that. Derp.