Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

I'm going to start recording the levels of the people who win, will report back with all my numbers from July. I won't be at ALL of them by any means but I tend to at least average one roll a day over a month probably.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyHydras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you are purposely misunderstanding what I am saying. I'm not talking about the agreement being the best thing we have available to us. Because, sadly, it is. But it isn't "Fair" with regard to you "Eventually" getting the item from the roll, because there is no guarantee. You can be there literally forever and not be guaranteed to get the item, whereas someone can get 2 bracers for each of their alts in succession. Is that "fair"? Not really, no.
That's kind of how Everquest works though.

There's a whole bunch of stuff with small drop % rates, and you're not guaranteed to ever get any of it. The longer you camp something, the more your odds converge toward 100%, but you don't ever guarantee you get what you're after.

There is nothing more quintissentially everquest than performing a rote action once every specified period of time for a 2% chance of getting the loot you want to drop.

EDIT: FWIW, you have a better chance of winning the powerbowl than NOT getting a scout roll if you attend all of them for a year, assuming 50 people show up to each one. You could always lose the reverse lottery on that, but really, its pretty close to guaranteed if you're dedicated for a long enough period of time, just like every other camp in the game.

Sanctum Low Man Vindi Kill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZfNjvsDRE
Last edited by 7thGate; 07-01-2020 at 02:09 PM..
Old 07-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is more fair than a /random 1000 ?

a list system simply will never be implemented. the list system was a good idea on green, so logically it could work on blue. Rog-bog knew they were gonna use the /list system for green over a year ago. They had it worked out. They could implement it on blue anytime they wanted. They did not do so, because blue is "done".

So that leaves you with the existing system. Where fairness is determined by a roll.

Everyone that has won the roll has been thankful that a kill force was present.

When you win the roll you will be thankful that a kill force IS present.
I don't have an issue with /roll or a player maintained list (not /list) or clickfest. My point was modifying an agreement is no different than have an agreement to begin with. Both are valid ways to try structure loot distribution. Saying one is because someone/people are upset about the way access to loot is structured but not the other is disingenuous.

I don't have a particular need/want for the roll to change, I was only laboring under the assumption that a different system was needed because that was the premise of OP's post.

Making it lvl 60 only is fine. I see that as fair. The quest designer clearly screwed up itemizing the rewards for this back in 1999 as the bracer and talisman are far too good for the simplicity/ease of the quest. So adding other artificial constrains into the agreement is one way to make the limited availability of loot satisfy the players actually able to complete the quest.

Another would be to have a minimum roll to win. This would be harder to keep track of than regular roll but would ensure less RNG unfairness. As it is, sometimes a 992 can lose (have seen it) or an 868 can win (I won with this not long ago, actually). Rolling against a static number vs. rolling against what others happen to roll is statistically a different picture.

Again, these are just suggestions based on OP's premise. This conversation is a thought exercise more than it is a dire need to change the current agreement as I see it.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm going to start recording the levels of the people who win, will report back with all my numbers from July. I won't be at ALL of them by any means but I tend to at least average one roll a day over a month probably.
What if you win tomorrow? are you still gonna log in to record the levels of winners?

[QUOTE someone else

Statistically yes, yes it is fair. Rolls are statistically fair. When you look at all the things we roll for in game, everyone has equally bad luck.

a trend has become prolific in 2020:

Something does not favor me exclusively, so everyone and the whole world must change!
Old 07-01-2020, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What if you win tomorrow? are you still gonna log in to record the levels of winners?
Yeah I'll start doing it on another toon. If I win on that one too before the end of the month then I'm done with scout probably forever and I'll just post whatever I'd gotten. It wont be at all surprising if I'm still rolling at the end of the month.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I'll start doing it on another toon. If I win on that one too before the end of the month then I'm done with scout probably forever and I'll just post whatever I'd gotten. It wont be at all surprising if I'm still rolling at the end of the month.
This is the beauty of scout roll. It is an infinite conveyor belt of characters that guarantees there is always a friendly, welcoming raid force to play with. You just get to play the game with other players as intended without anyone gatekeeping, monopolising, creating artificial scarcity or pay walls.

Play, have fun, make friends and if lucky eventually get an item or two.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

i should start rolling for more BoBs on my rogue even though he has 2. Theyre not lore, so I should fill my bag and bank slots with bracers of benevolence.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizersoze [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i should start rolling for more BoBs on my rogue even though he has 2. Theyre not lore, so I should fill my bag and bank slots with bracers of benevolence.
Agreed. My level 50 monk needs 2 bracers and 2 more for CR gear and a talisman (to admire in the bank) Then I need a robe, for, reasons...

My 45 druid needs a talisman too. Druid also needs 2 bracers. my druid face tanks like a pro.

My 42 ranger needs 2 bracers and another 2 of them for CR gear.

My 15 necro totally gettin a robe.

After that ill have to roll new toons to get scout loots in the 10s to 40s... maybe even level 1

100 Billion Scout Loots!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-02-2020, 03:06 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly the ranger needs multiple sets of CR gear. Two pairs won’t be enough.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Sarnak

Iksar should be able to wear a third bracer on their tail. Maybe a boot, too.
Closed Thread